Action Mission: Impossible - Fallout (2018)

Discussion in 'Film & Television' started by ReymousFumes, May 16, 2018.

1. ReymousFumes

ReymousFumes Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Nerd
    Contributor

Director: Christopher McQuarrie
    Screenplay: Christopher McQuarrie
    Starring: Rebecca Ferguson (Ilsa Faust), Henry Cavill (August Walker), and Tom Cruise (Ethan Hunt)
    Genre: Action | Adventure | Thriller
    Release Date: 27 July 2018

Plot:
    Ethan Hunt and his IMF team, along with some familiar allies, race against time after a mission gone wrong.

2. Kuze

Kuze 『WANTED』
    Contributor

Man, I'm so not in the know when it comes to MI. Can't remember sitting through even one of the movies in this franchise.

ReymousFumes likes this.
  3. ReymousFumes

Contributor

I stopped watching after the fourth outing, Ghost Protocol. I liked the more serious take on the story back then till it got the MCU Syndrome (aka jokes every minute).

4. Oh Snape

Oh Snape House Bantsratheon
    Staff Advisory

I remember the De Palma one being decent with some cracking set pieces. The John Woo one was disappointing, Ghost Protocol I vaguely recall watching so it was probably crap.

The theme tune always kicks ass though. Even Limp Biscuit couldn't balls it up.

ReymousFumes likes this.
  5. ReymousFumes

Contributor

So, we're at it again, boys! Sigh.

By this point... no, actually, by the point of Ghost Protocol even, Tom Cruise movies are pretty much the equivalence of Jackie Chan movies - they contain a lot of jokes, have a thin forgettable plot about the good guy saving the day, and have some pretty impressive stunt sequences. That third point is the only reason you would bother checking his movies out, but for me, unfortunately, that's just not enough.

Yesterday, I just watched "Running Man" for the first time, and it occurred to me that I might have outgrown such thin and shallow entertainment that does nothing other than to amuse you for an hour and a half, and just basically turning your brain off for a few hours. While that kind of entertainment is fine, but nowadays, I find that unless it does anything ridiculous enough that would impress or amuse me (like "Commando" and its ridiculous amount of high-octane action, bloodshed and facepalming one-liners, or "Last Action Hero" with its clever meta-commentary on said cheesy action movies), I just find myself bored and tired by the end of it, not bothering to write a review because all I would just say is that it was mediocre and I was bored to tears, waiting for the damn movie to end. That was "Running Man" to me, and it was also "Mission: Impossible III" to me during my last rewatch.

So yeah, not going to bother watching this one, no matter the praise it gets. It just seems like another excuse to churn out impressive stuntwork that would only be entertaining in the moment and forgettable as soon as I walk out of that f-ing theater. So no, I'm not going to throw away my hard-earned cash at such a cheap ploy. If I want to see the sequences, I could just watch it on YouTube a few years later and then forget about them another couple of months later. Practically speaking, it's not a very wise way of spending money, not to mention the effects of encouraging Hollywood to continue churn out such blend and lazy movies.

Anyway, just wanted to get my thoughts out at such an overhyped movie. I share similar sentiments towards MCU movies, but that is a whole other topic compared to Mission: Impossible movies. At least Marvel TRIES to tell a story that could mean something to us in the long run, not just slap our brains for the momental enjoyment like some gigantic dildo.

Pass.

6. ReymousFumes

Contributor

Finally, someone who actually hates this stupid overrated film. But Adam Johnston of YMS also loves Marvel films I find overrated, so meh. Kinda a hypocrite that he finds M:I films to be shallow and Marvel films like Ant-Man and Guardians of the Galaxy to be good, when they both have similar traits of conventional storylines. But whatever.

7. Shi

Shi The Aspirer
    Staff Member Administrator Platinum Founder

I think the movie was great.

To be honest, I'm not going to be a pretentious prick and say that it was the greatest movie ever, because it certainly wasn't. At this point, Mission Impossible knows what it is and it's not trying to reinvent itself because honestly, it doesn't need to. It just needs to update itself every so often to have the same coat of paint modern movies have, but it doesn't need to follow the trends.

This isn't some movie looking to worm its way into your brain and stay there.

Let's be real here, it's a spy thriller action flick. It knows you're going to forget about it but while it has your attention, it's going to try its best to entertain you and that's what it does. It's like waiting in line for a roller coaster, you're going to have fun on the ride, but you're certainly not going to rave about it 6 months down the road.

I've seen every single one of these movies in theater, including the first one when I was 9 years old. I don't remember the plot details for any of the movies because they're simply not memorable.

But what I can tell you is that I left every movie pretty happy and fulfilled and I think that's perfectly fine.

Having a derivative plot and common troupes isn't an issue if you execute well enough. I certainly knew that it's not going to offer up anything new or different, but it does what it does well enough that I didn't care and personally, I think that the movie definitely deserve the praise and attention it has gotten.

To be quite honest, I'm actually quite happy it did because I'm tired of having to learn about the expanded universe and all of the details that make those things up.

I'm more than content being entertained and then forgetting about the movie afterwards.

8. ReymousFumes

Contributor

I left my last rewatch of Mission: Impossible III exhausted and bored, so yes, I think it's an issue. But that's just my opinion among a minority of people who don't like films like this, so who cares.

Anyway, I never said the film was terrible, just that it was overrated. A fun movie is fine. I loved Commando and Crank and Shoot 'Em Up (the movie starring Clive Owen, not the video game genre), but at least audiences gave them the credit they rightly deserve, nothing less and more importantly, nothing more. M:I: Fallout on the other hand, has been receiving such massive universal hype as do all such blockbuster nonsense. I've always been bothered by such stupid hype and I never cease to complain about it to balance the universe. They overrate it, I criticize it. Perfect balance, just like all things.

You know when people say, "Movies don't matter"? They are referring to movies like these. They don't matter, so why spend so much money on such a worthless travesty? The money, people, the money you pay for the tickets is the real thing that matters here in life, and that's why paying for a constant regurgitation of yesterday's trash is a big f-ing issue. You're paying to swallow vomit.

#8 ReymousFumes, Aug 1, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2018
  9. Shannon Apple

Shannon Apple Sour Apple
    Staff Member Administrator

Guys, I've removed some posts because they were becoming more and more unnecessary, especially that last one. That was just pure oportunism in an attempt to be funny at someone else's expense. People got a little bit passionate about their views on both sides of this.

I actually happen to agree somewhat with Reymous on this one, although I don't hate the movies, just don't love them. Mission Impossible is indeed over-rated. It's nonsensical like a James Bond series on speed. I get that "impossible" is in the name, but OMG. The first one was different and interesting and I actually enjoyed it. Second and third movies I don't even remember, eventhough I'd seen them on TV more than once. They're not terrible, but when you've seen one, you've kinda seen all of them. Only reason I'd go see this is if someone wanted me to go with them. It's that sort of movie that you'd go to see only for the sake of going out to the cinema when there's nothing better to watch. I'd choose MI above an unknown. I've picked randoms before because I'd seen everything else at the time, and ended up watching terrible crap. XD. If someone else absolutely loves them and thinks they're the best thing since sliced bread. Awesome, I won't argue. Movies are an art. Art is subjective. People are entitled to think either way.

Another set of movies that are extremely overrated are The Fast and The Furious franchise. I just don't see the attraction. LOL!

10. Oh Snape

Oh Snape House Bantsratheon
    Staff Advisory

Its an ok action movie. Most people should have their expectations met. Its basically Tom cruise doing stunts and being that guy in your blind spot while riding a bike after accepting a generic quest because Skyrim is for nerds. Quadruple crossings ensue. Dialogues a bit dry though.

Now Dredd, The Raid and Baby Driver are awesome action movies. You can have depth and even range whilst staying true to a genre if you work within the scope of the premise. Baby Driver can probably be classed as a heist movie but it also does comedy, romance and there's even bits that wouldn't be out of place in a musical. I mean some scenes are literally musical cars lol. I think its an action movie so whatever.

In short, if I'm watching a genre movie I probably have affinity for said genre and I compare it with the standards I've set and my fave movies from the genre. Yeah I basically lower them.

11. kura

kura lay back and think of England

Don't expect arthouse nuance from Mission Impossible is literally the only takeaway from this. Criticise it in the lens of its purpose and intention as a well-oiled commercial machine. Otherwise it sounds like you're getting upset that people can be genuinely entertained by a film with a 'cheap', 'derivative' plot. That's when it starts to sound like boring elitism. Obv I took it too far and you can levy admissible criticism on anything. I just felt like it was a bit inauthentic.

#11 kura, Aug 4, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2018
    Novaire likes this.