Mobile games: are they good enough?

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by mr.Gloomy, Jan 22, 2019.

1. mr.Gloomy

mr.Gloomy Newbie

All gamers I know are sure that playing mobile games is not gaming at all. Some of them don't have any games on their phones at all.
    So I have a question, dear community. Are there any games for mobile phones which worth playing, can be compared to video games and called real masterpieces?

2. Dunn x Dolo

Dunn x Dolo King of the Chatroom
    Silver Founder

Why would mobile gaming not be gaming? Also its hard to recommend something to somebody when we don't know what your preferences in gaming is. The only thing you've stated in your initial post is that you think mobile gaming isn't true gaming yet you want us to psychically guess what games you would enjoy for mobile. Wut? o_O

Since I take public transportation everywhere I do a lot of mobile gaming to help kill time. One game I play very frequently is Final Fantasy Brave Exvius. Its a very good game and sort of a throwback to the old traditional turnbased FFs of old with a unique twist to it. Gaming Masterpiece? Probably not, but still a very fun and very good game in its own right.

There are also remakes for mobile that are just as good as their console counterparts. Dragon Quest, Chrono Trigger, FF 1-6, 7 and 9 are just as good if not better than the consoles they were originally for.

So I fail to see your logic on why mobile gaming wouldn't be considered real gaming. This is coming from a guy who plays console a lot as well and I still enjoy playing games on my mobile phone.

3. ALToxicity

ALToxicity The great and powerful Peridot

I don't see why mobile gaming can't be considered "real" gaming. What is "real" gaming? What makes mobile games not gaming to you? Is it their genres? How long their sessions are supposed to be? The aesthetic? Is a mobile port automatically inferior to it's non-mobile version? I don't get the reasoning here just how it's said.

On the next note, I can't really recommend anything to you without an idea of what things you like in general? Do you want ports? Are you willing to play games with optional microtransactions? Is there a specific genre you like? A platform you intend to play on?

4. Grungie

Grungie Well-Known Member
    Contributor

I'm gonna disagree with FF5 and 6, only because I think they look like absolute shit. I've seen better sprites in fan-made RPG Maker games. FF7 also looks annoying as hell with the virtual controller blocking half the screen. The game would have been fine if it was just an on-screen control stick or joypad like the other FF mobile games.

Though to answer the question, I don't see anything inherently wrong with mobile gaming. The reason why gamers claim mobile gaming isn't "real gaming", because to them, mobile gaming is targeted towards dem filfy casuls, thus making them not a "real" game or gamers. I do have mixed feels with them putting console games onto a touch screen phone, as some games just don't work well on a touch screen only device. Turn based RPG's like FF or DQ work fine, but throwing shit like Street Fighter on a phone is just a recipe for disaster.

Dunn x Dolo likes this.
  5. Dunn x Dolo

Dunn x Dolo King of the Chatroom
    Silver Founder

I disagree with your disagreement. Therefore by trolling asshole laws........I'm right. :p

6. Grungie

Contributor

No

Git gud at trolling

7. Shi

Shi The Aspirer
    Staff Member Administrator Platinum Founder

The thing about mobile games is the fact that in a lot of ways, they're technically not games.

Sure, there are real games such as Zenonia or smaller puzzle games that are meant to be premium experiences; Most of these games were designed to be services that entertain you for a brief moment and then take your money. They're designed to be businesses first before entertainment and that's kind of the reason why mobile gaming as a whole is not considered "gaming".

When you try to take that model and apply it to higher tier games such as Call of Duty, The Division and Assassin's Creed, we are starting to see collision in that these aren't games anymore either. They're businesses designed to take your money. Gaming was never designed around the idea that you play it for a few minutes and you're satisfied.

8. Enies

Enies Famous Member

Absolutely hate mobile games I think they are pretty stupid and never play them unless I'm really bored or others are playing it

9. Shannon Apple

Shannon Apple Sour Apple
    Staff Member Administrator

To be honest, the only time I play mobile games is when I am travelling on a bus or train and have nothing better to do. Silly things like Candy Crush etc help to pass some of the time away. That's really what they're designed for anyways, to occupy someone when they're bored, of course with in-game money grabbing features that you'd want to be nuts to buy into.

Just like flash games, I wouldn't really class them as real gamer games. You couldn't really call yourself a gamer having only played mobile games. ^^

10. Grungie

Contributor

You sound like those edgelords who say rap isn't real music because they don't sing in it.

11. Shi

Shi The Aspirer

Rap is poetry sir.
    Poetry with a beat.

The_Archangel likes this.
  12. Interest1ng

Interest1ng SC's AmbASSador.... MAWP!!!

Soooooo on that note would PUBG/Fortnite be considered games? Since their entire mantra is Microtransaction? And they are both on mobile also.

13. Shannon Apple

Shannon Apple Sour Apple
    Staff Member Administrator

More to the point, would I consider someone who played these a gamer? Perhaps, yes. There are many games that CAN be played on mobile, but a lot of people prefer the experience of playing them on their PC. They aren't mobile games, they just have a mobile option.

I assumed that the OP was talking about games like Candy Crush and Pet Rescue.

14. Shi

Shi The Aspirer

It's more that the OP was asking if there was a game of the same caliber as, say, Ocarina of Time.

I was following along and reinforcing the concept that most mobile games are not really games at all, but services designed to take your money. It's like saying a game like Kingdom Hearts Union X is a true game when, honestly, it kinda isn't. The main conceit that people need to be aware of is "gamification". You can design all sorts of systems with game-like mechanics that give you the illusion and even the feeling that you're playing a game when at the end of the day, the core concept is designed around something else entirely.

Take Gaia Online for example: If you want to state that all mobile "games" are "games", you have to consider that Gaia Online is indeed a game. Yes, you have an inventory.
    Yes, you have an avatar.
    Yes, you can earn currency to buy things.
    Yes, you can level up.
    But is Gaia Online a game? To answer is, in technicality, yes. It is. But the core concept is Gaia Online is a forum with "gamification" to give you an illusion that you're playing a game, but you're not.

The main point I was getting at is that the majority of mobile games are services with "gamification". You are tricked into believing you're playing a game when the reality is, you're actually using a service that has mechanics that mimic games.

The best example I got is to actually use Fortnite as an example:
    Fortnite is a game designed with services. The core mechanic of Fortnite is to actually play the game. You drop into a world and you go shoot other people. That's the entire point of the game. All the microtransactions around the game reinforces the game much in the same way League of Legends is. Same as Warframe for that matter.

Then you got Star Wars: Battlefront II. This is not a game. This is a service designed with gamification first, then they put an actual game as filler. The entire "game" is designed to give you an illusion that you're playing a game when the core of the experience is to make you spend money first and foremost above all other things.

I'm not saying to be an egotistical asshole or anything like that, it's more to point out a problem that people aren't really aware of or even understand.

Circling back to the original point: Yeah, there are mobile games that can be considered "games", by the definition I've kind of outlined. Ones that aren't designed with services as the core concept and ones that are meant to deliver an experience comparable to a console game. Generations that can span anywhere between NES and PS3, some games that come to mind:

Games that you can say they're masterpieces (but not really, they come close):
    People don't really make games like these anymore and I don't have a lot of good examples outside of these two below

Oceanhorn
    Zenonia (not sure if the more recent sequels are service-based games or not)

Games that are just fun to play:
    Plague Inc
    Game Dev Story (The entire Kairosoft catalogue honestly...)
    Eternium
    Infinity Blade (You can't play 1 or 2 anymore since they got delisted)
    Galaxy of Pen and Paper

Ports:
    Most Final Fantasy games
    Most Dragon Quest games
    Secret of Mana

Puzzles:
    Threes
    The Witness
    Hexologic

Games that are services and you can pretty much get by without spending a dime:
    Animal Crossing
    Fire Emblem Heroes
    Idle Heroes
    Dragon Ball Z Legends
    Hearthstone
    Blustone
    Fallout Shelter
    Final Fantasy Record Keeper

Services that are games:
    Clarification:
    These are actually kind of fun to play, but they are DEFINITELY designed as services first. While you can get by without spending money, you will be at an extreme disadvantage

Kingdom Hearts Union X - Why this is a service first before game: You earn medals that allows you to do damage and actually progress in the story. All challenges are designed around this including PvP. 100 jewels is $0.99. 1000 jewels ($9.99) gets you a free draw to get a Medal. 3000 ($29.99) jewels is a chance for you to get a rare of the week. 30,000 ($299.99) jewels + $9.99 is a guaranteed rare within 10 draws. If there is a rare medal that you want, it will cost you approximately $310. You can earn jewels, but you get around $1 to $2 worth a day.

Marvel's Strike Force - It works on a similar system I mentioned above, except you get tokens and there are a metric fuck ton of tokens and the disparity between free players and money players is wide.

---

Anyways. Wanted to elaborate way more than I did previously.
    I'm just being real about the matter. I spend a lot of time playing games, whether they're on my phone or not. That is to say, I much prefer to offer an opinion and a viewpoint based on experiences I've had as opposed to a lot of people who are dismissive without experiencing these things for themselves.

15. Kaynil

Kaynil Senior Member

I think the stigma with the mobile games is mostly because of the Premium principle. I imagine that to find a good game for mobile you need to be willing to pay some for it. Most people just want a quick game to entertain you which means that you usually will find this games that will try to get you hooked and then tempt you with packs with the items you need to progress by making you have to grind for them otherwise. Depending on how fair or unfair it feels to progress without spending a cent, the more likely the game will be seen in a good light.

I can't really say candy crush is not real gaming when I know that gaming started with simple concepts like that. I grew in a game called Yoshi's cookies, which was a very similar concept. On itself, I don't think that how much depth the game has is what makes it good or not.

Even in consoles, Video games are still a business with calculated risks, even if their ways to persuades us to give them our money is not in the way it happens in mobiles.

16. Grungie

Contributor

The reason why I as dismissive of your initial statement came off as incredibly pretentious and reeked of unwarranted self importance that I see in a ton of hobbies/communities I'm involved in. You have someone who's a big fan of X, but something comes a long and introduces, or includes, a feature that said person is not a fan of. Said person takes the hobby waaaaay too seriously and focuses too much on how much they hate that product, so much to the point, that they dismiss it as being a "true" version of X hobby. Usually this involves a level of gate keeping to protect the "purity" of their beloved hobby.

To be completely honest, your follow up isn't doing any better to deter that image. Writing an essay and fabricating terminology is just pedantry at work, and willingly (or unwillingly), trying to disguise the real underlying argument of "I hate games that focus on microtransations, therefore, they are NOT real games". Name dropping alleged street cred in the hobby feeds into the unwarranted self importance and doesn't really add any sort of legitimacy, and just feeds into the illusion the commenter is giving to themself that their pedantry is justified, and they are a tr00 expert. Pitchfork is notorious for this and is a common trope in their famously poorly written music reviews (positive or negative).

Going back to my comment about people dismissing rap saying it's not real music. Someone could come along and try to be pedantic about it and say "no it's not real music, because it involves sampling, and music HAS to involve real instruments. It's not music, it's sampling". Though the more and more they go and try and defend their arguments with "legitimate" points, the real underlying factor, is the fact that they just don't like rap. It'll usually come out when they defend sampling in genres they like, like say trip hop, or <insert electronic genre that they're a fan of>. A similar thing is happening with old school metal fans hating on modern metal because the bands use drum triggering, or electronic drum backing tracks, but it's totally okay in a situation like in Industrial acts like Nine Inch Nails, because Trent Reznor is a "legitimate" artist.

Dunn x Dolo likes this.
  17. Shi

Shi The Aspirer

@Grungie

I don't know where you get off but I do this kind of stuff for a living, so you know, take it as you will. If you want to look at me as an egotistical jerk, that's your prerogative.

Pay attention to the world a little and you'll learn something.
    Be a little smug shit and you're just a little smug shit.

Figured I try to educate a hipster, but you know what, you're not worth my time.

- Shian, out.

Dunn x Dolo likes this.
  18. Grungie

Contributor

Calling me a smug shit and a hipster isn't making you look mature when all I did was call you out on your sophistry. Honestly, I'm not sure who you're trying harder to deceive, us, or yourself. Also, I'm not sure who's more smug, someone sitting on their pedestal spouting useless unnecessary street cred, and making an open declaration of how they're gatekeeping, because something they don't like doesn't fit their specific definition of their beloved hobby; or the guy who's calling the former pretentious.

The reason why I call your statement of "I play a lot of video games" or "I play video games for a living" as useless street cred, is that it really doesn't mean anything to the conversation at hand. Especially since we're talking about a hobby that, arguably, a large percentage of the population participates in. Honestly, it really only makes a difference where you can snuff out something that's either overdone, or not as revolutionary, because you've been exposed to certain tropes or mechanics more than the average gamer. What seems revolutionary and game changing to the average audience probably isn't actually that revolutionary and game changing to someone who has a higher exposure games outside the AAA sphere. Essentially like how film reviewers or film buffs have different opinions than the general audience does over a specific movie. "Wow, this film is really revolutionary with these concepts that were explored!". "Nah not really, there's been at least like 8 other films that did this way before this".

Saying you do it more is just illusory superiority. It'll be like someone saying "well I work on computers for a living" in a conversation about building gaming PC's. A ton of people "do work" on a computer for a living, and there's also the likelihood that their job has absolutely nothing to do with gaming PC's, and gives them the insight of say, which hardware combination will give you the best, or more compatible, outcome in a gaming PC.

I'm not sure what I said in my earlier comment makes me a hipster, because in the context of this conversation, it just seems like you're resorting to elementary playground levels of banter and name calling. "This guy disagreed with my opinion, therefore, he's a hipster". Disagreeing with a non-mainstream opinion like "Call of Duty isn't a game" is almost the complete opposite of hipsterdom, since being a hipster usually entails someone making a non-mainstream opinion, which is exactly what you're doing. So honestly, you come out more as a hipster than I would.

If you're calling me a hipster based off of random comments I make in other threads, that's also just being plain childish and has nothing to do with the conversation at hand. That's just getting into strawman territory here. Like god forbid I listen to quasi-obscure music, and I don't watch AAA Shonen Jump anime amirite?

19. Mr. Mister

Mr. Mister Is Breaking Down

I have never downloaded or played any mobile games before. But I do love watching people play them. Youtubers like John Wolfe are known for playing mobile games, sometimes downright terrible ones. He was playing a mobile game when an ad for another game popped up and he ended up playing that game a few months later because it was so absurd. And now, he's making a series of playing those games, called Episode. But not to get too far of track, I don't personally play mobile games, but I find entertainment in watching others play them.

20. Pass_the_M

Pass_the_M Senior Member

I've been playing the crap out of Langrisser Mobile, its a legit good tactical RPG and its actually way better then the recent 3DS reboot of the series.