Movie or tv show based on literature?

Discussion in 'Film & Television' started by JennyorAlice, Sep 10, 2017.

1. JennyorAlice

JennyorAlice Senior Member

Do you watch movies or tv shows that are based a novel (or series or comic books or whatever the case may be)? If so, do you prefer the movie/tv show over the literature or vise versa? Why do you prefer the one over the other? How do they compare to one another? Do you read first and watch second? Or do you watch first and then go back to read later?

2. Scruffie

Scruffie Pro Tarantula Bro-Fister
    Editor

American Gods is one of my favourite books ever. I watched the show, which I liked mostly but not as much as the book, bit always try to go in with an open mind. No one will ever make a film adaptation exactly how you want it to be and if you go in hoping for it, you'll almost always be disappointed

3. OctalKey

OctalKey 100% Polyester
    Gold Founder

I've watched a lot of things based off of literature, and usually it ends up with the television/movie adaptation of the story being inferior to the writing. I find that in movies where the time-limit is not as generous, it is harder (not impossible) to capture a piece of literature's inherent brilliance or charm. Some movies have done this amazingly, like the Harry Potter film series, but other fail at it. As for television shows, there is much more time to flesh out a story and stay faithful to the literary counter-part of the story, yet sometimes even the television adaptation will be flawed in (not in how it says the same story, but how it says a similar story). Just look at the "The Walking Dead" tv show, started off strong but well...we all can see the effects of losing good writing...episodes started to drag on, certain decisions were made that seemed to harm the plot or character development, etc. etc.

These are just my thoughts.

4. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

Im a sporadic reader so i dont often finish a book in a specific time frame. So i havent finished any lately.

However i have read all or virtually all of the original james bond books. Both jurassic park books. Sphere. Andromeda strain. Part of a clancy book cant remember that title but ny favoeite book to film is

HUNT FOR RED OCTOBER

i can watch that over and over and over.

Always fun to see the changes made for movies.

5. Oh Snape

Oh Snape House Bantsratheon
    Staff Member Moderator

I find its best to treat them as separate works. If both work, great, if not, no point getting an aneurysm. But seriously, some adaptations are just fucking insulting and miss the entire point of the book. The I am Legend ending springs to mind. Oh hell naw indeed.

On a similar point, some movies are better for going the other way to book or satirising it. Starship Troopers springs to mind. Man I wanna ee Atlus Shrugged and Fountin Head done this way lol.

Tonto-banchou likes this.
  6. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

Oh forgot a big one:

Lord of the rings

:D though i skipped through the poems and songs, a bit long winded :D

7. Scruffie

Scruffie Pro Tarantula Bro-Fister
    Editor

That predominantly American cast hitch-hikers guide? They missed all the sarcasm

8. wesleyv1

wesleyv1 Mokoto "revy" kino

I watch anime based on manga does that count?

9. Griffmeister

Griffmeister What the hell are you staring at?
    Gold Founder

Nailed it. Movies, for the most part, should be considered their own entity. I think this every time they do a Stephen King story, you can't compress thousands of pages into two hours and have anything that resembles the original story. My wife went to see "It" today, I wouldn't even go.

Did you see the original "Fountain Head " movie? As far as drama goes I think the old "black and whites " are more well done and entertaining, but the flaws in the story seem to stand out more on film.

10. Griffmeister

Griffmeister What the hell are you staring at?
    Gold Founder

The best part of that movie was when they landed on the planet where they can't get past the words " I think...". Other than that it sucked. Once again, books ( or is it " Ermagerd, BERKS " ).

11. Shannon Apple

Shannon Apple Sour Apple
    Staff Member Administrator

Everytime a movie is made that is based on a book (or in some cases an anime) you have hordes of idiots online dancing a jig about how terrible it is and how it didn't stick entirely to the book. I usually watch these kinds of movies and think of them as a seperate entity, a nod to the original content. Due to the creative freedoms of scriptwriters and directors, it's going to be somewhat different. You can't expect that they aren't going to put their own stamp on it.

Some are downright disappointing due to the fact that the movie in it's own right is fucking terrible. Sticking to the exact story doesn't necessarily mean that the movie is going to be good. There are a lot of other factors that come into play.

wesleyv1 likes this.
  12. wesleyv1

wesleyv1 Mokoto "revy" kino

Look at harry potter, it's arguably one of if not the greatest book to movie adaptations to date and even it wasn't 100% acurate to the books