Murder Mystery Role Play - What Went Wrong?

Discussion in 'Roleplayer's Realm' started by 4xdblack, Sep 3, 2016.

1. 4xdblack

4xdblack Accomplished Booty-Cop
    Silver Founder Plus

So as most of you out there know, I started an RP called "The Rose Motel". It was an interesting concept that seemed to grab the attention of a lot of users.. But the RP quickly lost steam and died out. It could probably be blamed on my inexperience as a DM. I was unable to push the story along and keep things interesting and engaging.

But besides that fact, those of you who participated in the RP, @Scruffie @MyaMeOhMy @Fantasy @Kerberos @Kakuri @Kuze @Randoms @Moe @GreenSmartie @Yajuu_Kikuishi @J4sm1n4 @Ravok
    What do you guys n gals believe was the cause for the RP to die?

And also, how do you believe I could improve upon the original idea?

I believe that some of the faults were that first the riddles were too easy (or you bastards all googled the answers), and the clues were too difficult to decipher. Plus it made the area very singularly located.

What suggestions do you have that would make for a better murder mystery RP? And what would be an easier and better method to determine who the killer is besides my convoluted clue system?

2. Harlequinn

Harlequinn Edgy Teenager
    Staff Advisory Silver Founder Plus

One of my thoughts was that getting false clues for incorrect answers strongly encouraged googling the riddles.

3. MyaMeOhMy

MyaMeOhMy Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Sakuga's Butterfly Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ

I am a terrible DM. So I am not really sure where to help you there. You were pretty active and tried to keep us inform so from what I see it wasn't necessarily your fault.

My guess to the reason it died was when everyone got the clues none of us made a connection with each others characters enough to try and solve the riddles and I think we all sort of got a little lost on what to do next. It could also be that the role play went so fast at once and then everyday life kicked in and we didn't have much time.

I would say the next time to make it better is to try and find a way to connect characters together more that way they are sort of forced to try and make a story with others and maybe develop a platform from that.

4xdblack likes this.
  4. Scruffie

Scruffie Pro Tarantula Bro-Fister
    Editor

I think that the clue part just kinda made the rp stand still foe long enough for people to get side tracked.

While a fast moving rp isn't a bad thing, not everyone can post every day or multiple times a day then you have so much to catch up on it becomes complicated.

The idea in itself was really good And there was a lot of back story, but as far as the limited space of the hotel went, it was hard to know what to do other than say "where am I and why am I here?"

Maybe in the future people can be given separate clues or information at the beginning to stop the rp from stagnating in the middle?

5. Harlequinn

Harlequinn Edgy Teenager

Adding on to some of the stuff @MyaMeOhMy and @Scruffie said, I think it might be good to have a little more guidance in the beginning to push people in the right direction. People may have felt that once the riddles were given, they were left entirely to their own devices, and felt a overwhelmed on what exactly to do next.

MyaMeOhMy likes this.
  6. Kerberos

Kerberos genki moe blob
    Staff Member Moderator

Imma be honest. The reason I quit was 100% down to me. I was going through a lot of shit at the time and didn't have the energy to contribute a piece every once in a while.

If I'd subscribe to an RP now it'd probably go very differently. Though I will also admit that while whodunnits at one point were my favourite genre these days they can't hold my attention as well anymore as say a good fantasy epic.

7. Fantasy

Fantasy The Saint of SC
    Staff Advisory

Well my readon of quiting was that I couldnt keep up with it. Certain moments were very fast and due to my schedule I couldnt keep up. That was solely my fault and I apologise for that. The idea of role play was unique and exciting.

4xdblack likes this.
  8. Kuze

Kuze Heaven's not enough
    Contributor

I was expecting a bit more paranoia and some twist and turns like members going missing. "Hey where's that Manhunter kid. He was standing right there...by the door!"

I was actually prepared to take up the idea of kidnapping someone but that picture clue kind of derailed my line of thought. It kind of lacked some much needed tension in terms of progression that's all.

As for suggestions I'd say it'd be more convenient to divide the pool of players into groups of three and provide a group clue. That'd ensure more interaction between players, people won't feel lost or left out of the development and there'll be multiple constructive ways of pushing the game forward.

Harlequinn likes this.
  9. 4xdblack

Silver Founder Plus

I agree, I think that's definitely a good way to make the story more interesting. But the story hadn't really progressed far enough for something like that to happen. I mean the characters had literally just met each other for the first time, and if I started killing off characters then, it would have been a very short RP for a lot of people.

Still, I believe that if we were gonna redo the RP, we definitely need a better system that the riddle/clue thing I had worked up.

10. Harlequinn

Harlequinn Edgy Teenager

This is a really excellent idea.

11. Scruffie

Scruffie Pro Tarantula Bro-Fister
    Editor

The problem with meeting others was not having anything to really say to them. No one knew what was happening, so it was hard to say any thing meaningful between characters.

I went to one of the parties with a game like this. Each person was given 3 secrets for their character. And one opportunity to get one from another eg your character can seduce one secret from one player of the opposite sex.

There wasn't anything to share so there wasn't really much to say, if that makes sense

12. Yajuu_Kikuishi

Yajuu_Kikuishi Well-Known Member

Personally, I felt like it was a little confusing as to what the RP actually was. Was it a Murder Mystery game with the RP as a way of playing it or was it an RP wherein the Murder Mystery was the plot?

13. 4xdblack

Silver Founder Plus

Do the two have to be mutually exclusive?

14. Yajuu_Kikuishi

No, I suppose they don't when I think about it. But still, I think it applies here still, at least partly. I think it just effects the depth depending on how far to one side the scale tips. Maybe it's just me.

15. Moe

Moe Fed to the Rancor

My verdict on this matter is that I think you relied on the players too much to drive the story. A mystery RP seems like a hard task to pull off and you did well but giving us clues in the form of Riddles isn't all that fun to answer. Making a mystery too complicated is a deterrent too. My point being it was a dry mystery and not all to fun for me at least.

Sorry I don't have much to say on the matter, it's been too long since we've worked on it.

16. 4xdblack

Silver Founder Plus

Alright, so you're saying that if it was more story driven it would have been better?

17. Moe

Moe Fed to the Rancor

I think so at least. Don't get me wrong the way it went would work but everyone has to be engaged and willing to do everything you ask, in a way it was constrictive.

18. GreenSmartie

GreenSmartie Sakugacity's (Self-Proclaimed) Mascot

Oh dear, I'm not sure how to answer that. I think the main issue was that nothing was really happening yet? We sort of took too long to get to the actual start and once we did, I'm not sure any of us knew what exactly to do. Like, there wasn't enough paranoia I guess? We had very little reason to fear each other outside of the fact one person was a killer, which SOUNDS like it would be enough to I guess when you think about it, the killer was kind of at a disadvantage. Like, they had no reason to kill any of us as it would be easier to just try and pin the blame on someone else. Plus, I feel like it would be kind of difficult to get away with murder? Like, as long as we stayed in groups we could feasibly avoid getting murdered the entire game, or at least it would be way easier to pinpoint who the killer was if they tried anything just by seeing who was attacked. I still really loved the idea of a murder mystery RP, but I think that the reason it stopped was A) The killer was a bit underpowered and B) the RP needed a bit more structure to it.

Harlequinn and 4xdblack like this.
  19. Yajuu_Kikuishi

Actually, mention of the Killer killing brings up another point in my brain. Obviously, it would be hard for the Killer to kill characters controlled by users because it could make a very short RP for some people. With that in mind, would it perhaps be necassary to have some NPCs around that can fall victm during the RP? Not to say User controlled characters would be off-limits or anything.