Mystery Murder on the Orient Express (2017 film)

Discussion in 'Film & Television' started by Kuze, Jun 20, 2017.

1. Kuze

Kuze 『Ole Ole Ole』
    Contributor

[​IMG]

Lowdown
    :

A lavish train ride unfolds into a stylish & suspenseful mystery. From the novel by Agatha Christie, Murder on the Orient Express tells of thirteen stranded strangers & one man's race to solve the puzzle before the murderer strikes again.

Trailer
    :

Who's hyped for some Hercule Poirot?

Cast includes Kenneth Branagh (Hercule Poirot), Penélope Cruz, Willem Dafoe, Judi Dench, Johnny Depp, Josh Gad, Derek Jacobi, Leslie Odom Jr., Michelle Pfeiffer, and Daisy Ridley.

Film's scheduled to release on the 10th of November.

2. Novaire

Novaire Serial Editor
    Editor Contributor Gold Founder

We've gone from David Suchet to Johnny Depp?

Mon estomac.

3. TonyTony

TonyTony Active Member

If johnny depp stopped acting today, i'd be quite happy.

Edit: I also want to see this movie but i'd prolly have to go alone FeelsBadMan

4. Dunn x Dolo

Dunn x Dolo King of the Chatroom
    Silver Founder

Michelle Pfieffer is still alive?.........and still acting?

I haven't seen anything with her in it since Batman Returns, holy shit!!!!

5. Oh Snape

Oh Snape House Bantsratheon
    Staff Member Moderator

I was just thinking what the world really needs is another Murder On The Fucking Orient Express production.

6. Enies

Enies Famous Member

The song in the end ruined it for me.

7. Kerberos

Kerberos genki moe blob
    Staff Member Moderator

No we've gone from David Suchett to Kenneth Branagh which I don't think is a step down. Branagh is an amazing actor and director with an impressive and diverse body of work ranging from Shakespeare to Wallander. Not to mention quite a good amount of awards.

As for Depp, he plays the victim so we get to see him being stabbed twelve times. I think that should please some Depp haters. (which I am no)

8. Kerberos

Kerberos genki moe blob
    Staff Member Moderator

To add my two cents: I've read the book...twice...watched the Albert Finney movie (which is really good, you should check it out if you haven't done so yet) The David Suchet version (which is one of the weakest entries in an otherwise very strong series) and the Alfred Molina version (which doesn't exist) and I am still hyped as hell for this.

It looks to me like this Poirot is a lot more straight laced then the more excentric itterations we've seen before. Which is in line with most of Branagh's earlier work where he takes a well known fictional characters and strips them off their their quirks and outward traits to show them more as flawed human beings.

Don't get me wrong I love Albert Finney's very quirky performance as Poirot and Suchet struck a beautiful ballance between the eccentric manners and the more caring and contemplative person underneath. But I'm intrigued by the prospect of seeing a Poirot that's much more flawed and human while still being very much Poirot (only Poirot would refer to himself as the greatest detective in the world)

Also Derek Jacobi...Cl...Cl...Claudius!!!

I am a little bit worried about the actual script though as the only thing I know Michael Green from is American Gods which he co-wrote with Bryan Fuller. Yet the show itself is 100% Bryan Fuller. So I have no idea hwat his style of writing actually looks like.

Still...Agatha Christie + Kenneth Branagh + Derek Jacobi = I am hype as hell!!!

Kuze likes this.
  9. Novaire

Novaire Serial Editor
    Editor Contributor Gold Founder

Fair enough, but that seems even more puzzling. Why pay for Johnny Depp to kill him off before the halfway point?

For the record, I think Depp is a solid actor with some good films under his belt, I particularly like Secret Window, but the idea of him as Poirot seemed like a miscast and a half.

I can't say I've ever heard of Kenneth Branagh, nor have I seen anything listed under his acting portfolio as far as I know. Have you got a recommendation for something that I could check out?

10. Kuze

Kuze 『Ole Ole Ole』
    Contributor

Hamlet 1996

Kerberos likes this.
  11. Kerberos

Kerberos genki moe blob
    Staff Member Moderator

Because Ratchett (the character he plays) is an incredibly important character even if his screentime is somewhat limited. So it makes sense to him being played by an A-list actor. Though tbf the entire cast almost consists solely of A-list actors. Similar to the Albert Finney film I mentioned earlier. in fact the whole things seems very reminiscent of the Albert Finney film in terms of scope and style. Which...honestly I think is a very good thing.

I 100% agree with Kuze. His 1996 Hamlet is a must watch. Also if you like murder mysteries, I highly recommend his take on Wallander. They're British adaptations of Swedish novels and the series is set in Sweden but with an English cast and spoken in English so it's a little wierd at first. But Branagh instantly draws you in with his magnetic performance as the deeply troubled Wallander. Also look out for Tom Hiddleston (who was completely unknown back then) as Wallander's right hand man Martinson.

12. Kuze

Kuze 『Ole Ole Ole』
    Contributor

Movie is out in the UK and Russia. Should hit other places by next week. In other news, I gotta wait till the end of this month to catch it in theaters.

13. Oh Snape

Oh Snape House Bantsratheon
    Staff Member Moderator

More like Boredom On The Snorient Exprezzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

14. Griffmeister

Griffmeister What the hell are you staring at?
    Gold Founder

I’ve probably seen one of the earlier B&W’s on tv maybe forty some years ago. Don’t really remember anything about it so this new movie should seem nice and fresh. I’m still kind of hyped to see it as long as it doesn’t get over promoted early on. Maybe I just won’t watch any commercials before seeing it.

15. Enies

Enies Famous Member

anyoen watch this yet

16. Kerberos

Kerberos genki moe blob
    Staff Member Moderator

Gonna go see it tomorrow

17. Kuze

Kuze 『Ole Ole Ole』
    Contributor

"You can tell your lies, but only two people will know the truth. Your God... and Hercule Poirot"

Pretty straightforward movie. A bit dry if you're familiar with it. Branagh's art-stage suave was impressive especially when he's about to crack an epic dialogue.

But there was definitely no order in that mustache.

18. StrawHats

StrawHats Stuck in a chair
    Staff Member Moderator Founder

I watched it 2 weeks ago on a Wednesday night. There were around 7 people in the auditorium (including me) and I can safely say I heard 2 of them sleeping and saw 1 trying to stay awake. But I really enjoyed it. Good murder-mystery movie.

I was mainly there for Willem Dafoe

19. Tonto-banchou

Tonto-banchou "Well-Known" Member
    Editor Contributor Social Media Team

Movie was pretty meh for me. There were like 12 people I wanted to see interact, but I only really got juicy performances from maybe three or four of them. It's a decent remake, but it doesn't really try to do anything new with the story or the execution of the mystery, so it begs the question why this was even needed in the first place. Kinda wished they stayed in the train for the whole movie, so we didn't have to go through that opening part that wanted to do a Guy Ritchie so badly.