My first video game - a mario clone!

Discussion in 'Art & Design' started by yoda313, Jun 18, 2017.

1. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

Yep here you go - BUT TURN DOWN YOUR SPEAKERS!!!!! (the music is way too loud even though ive got it down to nothing in the program - I USED UNITY TO BUILD THE GAME)

https://app.box.com/s/kxv95e9tj6p3fnu4hxrvvk99xhypihzn

Let me know if the link doesn't work.

I followed the JIMMY VEGAS tutorial. Man this was insanely complex. You have to have the gameobject setup first then script it to do somehting then post the right attribute from your hierachy into the right place.

I've never scripted before either :D I started with a small "rolling ball" tutorial first to get my feet wet. That worked great. Then I dove into the 18 part tutorial and finished last night (started on the 4th from what I can tell from my install folders :D).

Oh its not finished and yes I know the life counters aren't on both levels and the time counter is only on one level and the character isn't skinned and there isn't collission detection on the one pipe.

But hey it's a game and you can play it! :)

And yes I'm playing the guitar :) That was neat to do. Just random strumming on the open world then a 12 bar jazz riff on the underworld level.

Let me know what you think :) I"m planning on making my own ghostbusters style game :) :) (oh this does have a menu and stuff but I haven't reworked it to start on the menu. the menu only pops up after you run out of lives. I'd have to redo the number level on the two death scripts I'm too lazy to do that right now)

2. Kuze

Kuze Heaven's not enough
    Contributor

It's showing "this file format is not supported".

What is it by the way, a video of your game?

3. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

4. ThisGuy

ThisGuy Kin of the Cosmos
    Platinum Founder

Good on you dude! I watched the video, it's pretty fun.

I'm all about people doing new things, learning, and being creative. I dig your guitar track btws lol.

I find the 3D movement a little strange for it being a sidescrolling platformer bu tmaybe that means you can do some interesting things with enemy positioning and attacks.

Keep on creating man. Keep us updated.

yoda313 likes this.
  5. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

Thank you :)

The idea of my own soundtrack was almost as much fun as my own game.

I do hope i can make it own my own without a tutorial. Ill be using this game as a roadmap. And since ill probably try things that weren't covered ill have to dig online for more.

6. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

dude this is tough on your own without a dedicated tutorial. plugging in various tutorials is a difficult task. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't.

Here's what i have so far on one of my test levels (I have two):

https://app.box.com/s/uzlrxg80g9irwgher9m5sj4rv3u3lko8

If you can't view it let me know. Last time you had to download it and couldnt stream it for some reason. Try downloading it if you can't view it in your browser.

Oh and the soundeffects are a bit loud just fyi. No music this time.

Yeah looks like you have to download it - only 4mb. Not sure why it won't take it - recorded it with snagit. it's an mp4 file fyi. Not sure what codec snagit uses though.

7. ThisGuy

ThisGuy Kin of the Cosmos
    Platinum Founder

The footstep effect was synced up really well with the actual movement. Movement works, shooting works, sounds work, enemies have their own patterns, looks good my dude. The enemies could use some variety in the vertical movement.

Also, that was probably the most unhappy cat I have ever heard and it needs more guitar tracks. If you're looking for more sound effects you can pretty much use your guitar for everything.

Keep it up.

8. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

Thanks ThisGuy :)

I'm working on a health system right now so that it deals damage to the enemy. Turns out this tutorial im looking at has a player damage section that i didn't do. so i'll be able at least attack it. Now it says this can go on the bullets and stuff and be destroyed. hopefully that makes it a better bullet death script then the one i got installed right now where they limp through and stay persistent.

Yep well it is a kill shot so the cat shouldnt be happy :D

and the only trouble i found with using my guitar for the soundeffects was they lasted too long :D i mean an open string pluck was several seconds. so any kind of short duration event I'll need to use a sound effect generator. I did see one online awhile back and I'll have to look for one again.

This is amazingly complex. Nothing is super simple. Debugging is hard too because it won't let you play the game until the compiler errors are sorted. That means digging through and making sure all the () and ; and : are correct and the references are right. And you have to the capitilzation just right and the script name reference too.

This will be cool when i can get it to take damage and still shoot back - im sure theres a more complex firiing solution for the enemy ai.

This has been fun. I thought i'd be making more models in BLENDER this holiday weekend but i ended up working on the game mechanics more which is surprisingly fun in a weird way even though its irritating to work out the misses. At least UNITY does tell you the lines where the problems are and gives a little advice on solutions though i still have to google what the hell the soultion means :D

and i did get a game tutorial on unity on barnes n noble. should get it by the weekend i hope. Then i should be able to have a more concise reference point then bliindly googling this and that. because sometimes i need to go through a whole tutorial again to see what i missed or needed. but its been a great excersise and seeing results is always gratifying :)

9. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

more testing! Just mountains and stuff with a sword collecting objective. I made the sword and the boat in blender.

https://app.box.com/s/u70vqxofwg3xgq2uiw97f7ss5w8p6ia7

https://app.box.com/s/3wmemwllj7t5o6df10xopqq5ndje1tae

You'll probably have to download again. Not sure why you cant stream simple mp4 videos off box.com.

The flying cam shot was super tough and I still dont have it right. I want it to play automatically on startup and then you start on the ground. Right now i have to use a collider on a box to activate it but the box goes along for the ride :D I want it to switch off the main camera and let you fly down to the ground and then turn on the main camera like a good cutscene intro flyover should do.

Argh aggrevating but very satisfying when it works.

So from my mario tutorial I was able to add:

countdown timer
    sword count
    life count
    menu

Whew lots of stuff. I still haven't worked on a health system completely successfully. Nor a true enemy ai - well a working enemy ai at least.

Lots to do :)

Fyi the mountains and water and forest on the otherside were all part of unitys terrain system. Super cool to just mouse over the plane and have mountains grow as you hold down a button.

#9 yoda313, Jul 16, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
    Narilka likes this.
  10. Narilka

Narilka Destroyer of Worlds
    Staff Member Moderator Platinum Founder

11. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

I bought a book on unity and it has a chapter on rpg elements. Im thinking of making this zeldaish. Or lotr :)

Character modeling is going to be really tough. Im still struggling with fine tuning colors. I dont know how to make shaded colors, i mean other then the basic color wheel. They just all seem to bold and no subtlety.

But artistic endeavors will have to wait for a functional game first.

Edit - doh i could just make the flyover its own scene and transition to the gameplay :D

#11 yoda313, Jul 16, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
  12. Shi

Shi The Aspirer
    Staff Member Administrator Platinum Founder

@yoda313
    Kudos to you man.
    I have a new found respect for you sir. Learning this stuff is challenging and the fact you got this far really says a lot about your character.

If you're looking into making a Zelda-ish game, take a look at the Binding of Isaac and what they did. You might get more mileage out of that and learn a lot more trying to build a game like that.

Arguably, something that you may want to consider is instead of using the in-engine tools to make your game levels, consider trying to use code to generate the levels instead.

The only reason why I recommend that route is that you can build really complex games without the need of a lot of artistic considerations.

13. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

How do you mean code the level? You still have to plot your assets and see what it looks like.

You dont mean like doing blueprints to layout a level do you?

Thanks for the game tip. Im working on navigation ai for waypoints on npcs. Its cool to see them wander on there own.

I do want to make a village and populate it. There is a quest manager in my unity book that i want to check out.

14. Oh Snape

Oh Snape House Bantsratheon
    Staff Member Moderator

I'm getting format not supported as well. Would love to check it out.

All the best mang, this is cool.

15. Shi

Shi The Aspirer

I'm not ripping into you here, it's just an observation that I've made because I know a lot of people who have gotten into game development without a formal background or computer science degree: You're missing a huge chunk of options. I personally think it's pretty amazing you managed to make a game, you deserve a lot of praise for that, but it doesn't change the fact that you're limited by knowledge.

Unity3D makes game development really easy and the books and stuff that you get, they're designed to be easy so someone like you could just pick up a book and build a game. The only problem with this is that you don't have the programming knowledge or know how to really accomplish amazing feats.

Take this game for example: (Chroma Squad)

With the level of knowledge that you know on how to build a game, Chroma Squad is not possible.
    But just an FYI: Chroma Squad is built in Unity3D. I actually e-mailed the developers and I asked them how they built the game and what engine so I know from the source, how this game is built.

When it comes to the level, you don't have to plot a single thing.
    You can attach a script to your camera and build the entire level through a single script without dropping a single asset into your editor.

If there was anything that I would recommend that you learn to do in Unity3D... I highly recommend learning how to build a level without using the editor at all. If you can figure this one thing out, it will open up the world to you. Trust me on this, Unity3D is a very good engine, but it's completely under utilized through the methods in which you've learned how to build your game.

16. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

@Oh Snape - you have to download the clips to play them. Not sure why box.com wont stream the mp4s. And thanks :)

@Shi - i hope i didnt sound offended. I was really curious how you meant that.

So is it basically telling the engine to build cube a here and cube b there and animate character a at this time? That sounds infinitely harder without visualizing in 3d as you lay it out.

Im all for learning. I just want to try to complete this particular project. I want to make enemies that atack and have a quest system. Then i can do a few levels and have a fully playable game.

I do appreciate all the comments and suggestions. Now i know all the hard work that goes into games. Documentaries only show part of it. Experiencing it is sometjing else.

17. Shi

Shi The Aspirer

@yoda313
    Nah, you didn't seem to be offended. I just wanted to make sure you know that I'm only trying to guide you a bit and that I do think what you're doing is impressive even though it seems like what I'm saying is the opposite. You never know how people take these things, you know?

I figured some guidance, if you choose to take it or not, is more beneficial than for me to sit here and say good job. Here, have some cake.

I wanted to leave you with the idea that what you're doing is a box and I'm simply trying to open up that box for you so you know what you can do and the possibilities out there and if you choose to take that route, those possibilities are endless. :)

18. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

@Shi - cool :)

How much were those old dos basic games and commodore 64 basic use sprites and other assets? Obviously some of the more advamced later games were graphic driven via bmps and wav files etc. Well yeah pc speaker before that :D

Anytime you make the computer do something you want is satisfying :)

Edit ha meant how much was internal graphics versus external files in that basic question earlier :)

19. Shi

Shi The Aspirer

@yoda313 Older games on DOS and Commodore 64 don't use external files. They're all hand-coded (for the most part), because there wasn't really a way to import images or anything like that.

You literally had a 2D Array with what all the colors and values should be.

20. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

Damn makes my head hurt thinking about that.

21. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

Ok I signed up on vimeo. Let's see if this works:

Yay!

It's a bunch of ethan npcs and they are supposed to go to their own hut but for some reason two go to one. Each cube is tagged Dest as per the script from book. I have each cube seapartely set to the game object on the npc. not sure why the collision happens.

Let me know if the vimeo works for you. I'll use it from now on instead of box.com.

Narilka and Kuze like this.