News New anime original Megalobox, based on Ashita no Joe Manga, to debut in Spring 2018

Discussion in 'Anime' started by Kuze, Oct 13, 2017.

1. Kuze

Kuze Heaven's not enough
    Contributor

[​IMG]

Some goods news for the oldies and fans of boxing anime.

A new television anime series titled Megalobox and inspired by the Ashita no Joe manga will premiere in spring 2018. The anime will tell an original story of a man called JD (Junk Dog) who participates in fixed boxing matches in an underground ring in order to live.

The anime is celebrating the 50th anniversary of the Ashita no Joe manga.

The staff includes You Moriyama who directed (animation) Lupin III: The Woman Called Fujiko Mine and was involved in Attack on Titan. Mabanua who composed the music for Kids on the Slope is composing the music in this one as well.

Official Site: here

Tonto-banchou likes this.
  2. Kerberos

Kerberos genki moe blob
    Staff Member Moderator

?????

Small correction The Woman Called Fujiko Mine was directed by Sayo Yamamoto (director of Michiko and Hatchin and Yuri on Ice) and the music for Kids on the Slope was done by Yoko Kanno (Cowboy Bebop, Ghost in the Shell SAC, Wolfs Rain, Terror in Resonance and many many more) I'm not sure where you got that information from but it's inaccurate I'm affraid.

3. Kuze

Kuze Heaven's not enough
    Contributor

Like I mentioned, Moriyama was the animation director (animation in brackets) and Mabanua did arrange and write tracks of the Kids on the Slope OST, along with Kanno and Takashi Matsugana.

4. Kerberos

Kerberos genki moe blob
    Staff Member Moderator

Oh sorry mutst've missed animation director. I admit I might've reacted to rashly there. Sayo Yamamoto is one of my favourite directors so I was upset when I saw someone else being given the credit for something she directed.

As for music I am baffled honestly. On my DVD set of Kids on the Slope they included an hour long making of which hasa large part dedicated to how director Shinichiro Watanabe and music composer Yoko Kanno came up with the unique music for the show as well as how they set a new record for anime by filming the performances of live jazz performers and motion capturing that to rework into animation later. There wasn't a single mention about other music composers. I'm intrigued to find out which parts they composed since that documentary made it seem very clear that all the music was composed and conducted by Kanno herself. Maybe it's like one or two short tracks that weren't very significant and Kanno didn't have time enough to compose herself? Either way I'm 100% sure they are miniscule contributions because if you listen to the Kids on the Slope (which I recommend almost as much as watching the show itself) it's undoubtedly Kanno's work.

5. Kuze

Kuze Heaven's not enough
    Contributor

All I know is he wrote and arranged the following tracks:

6. Kuze

Kuze Heaven's not enough
    Contributor

A fresh teaser video for Megalobox, a new television anime based on Ikki Kajiwara (pen name Asao Takamori) and Tetsuya Chiba's Ashita no Joe manga, was streamed. The video reveals that the anime will premiere on TBS and BS-TBS in April.

Damn, I was hoping for an all-out classy fisticuffs with a Rainbow vibe to it. But I'm still excited for the show, irrespective of its futuristic setting with implants. They nailed down JD's design pretty well. Has that old school look to him.

7. Kuze

Kuze Heaven's not enough
    Contributor

New promo video for the upcoming series, previewing the protagonist Junk Dog, is out. Yoshimasa Hosoya will voice the character.

8. Kuze

Kuze Heaven's not enough
    Contributor

Character promos for the upcoming anime were streamed.

9. Kuze

Kuze Heaven's not enough
    Contributor

A new character video for the upcoming anime was streamed. It features the character YĆ«ri voiced by Hiroki Yasumoto.

10. Kuze

Kuze Heaven's not enough
    Contributor

New promo video for the upcoming show featuring footage from the anime is out.

11. Kuze

Kuze Heaven's not enough
    Contributor

A second teaser for the upcoming anime was streamed. The video reveals the show's April 5 premiere.

Here's the new visual:

[​IMG]

12. Kuze

Kuze Heaven's not enough
    Contributor

First few minutes of the first episode was streamed. And it looks cool as expected.

13. Kuze

Kuze Heaven's not enough
    Contributor

You put a wolf and funky music in the opening credits, you got my attention. Here's a sneak-peek into the Opening Theme.

14. Oh Snape

Oh Snape House Bantsratheon
    Staff Member Moderator

But I wanna watch it noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow.....

15. Kuze

Kuze Heaven's not enough
    Contributor