New Chat Platform

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by 4xdblack, May 10, 2017.

1. 4xdblack

4xdblack Accomplished Booty-Cop
    Silver Founder Plus

Personally, it's in my opinion that the current site chat we have is pretty low quality. I've been in a lot of chatrooms in my life. Xat, Chatzy, Skype, ect. But this one that we currently have I would rate as the worst chatroom I've been in.

So! I suggest a new platform

https://discordapp.com/

A lot of you should already know about it, but for those who don't, it's basically Skype 2.0 designed by gamers for gaming communities.
    But, the main advantages that I personally like are:

1. You do not have to be a member to participate in chat. Guests can come and go as they please.

and

2. It can be accessed from your phone, laptop, desktop, or even browser.

So overall, I'd say it's the most inclusive chat out there. Anyone can use it. Even people from around the world. But there are more advantages to this chat that you admins might enjoy

1. It's completely free to use. You don't have to pay for anything unless you want premium content (which basically just means custom emojis. Yes, you can make your own emojis)

2. You can easily assign mod and admin roles to the people in the chat.

3. You can delete comments, ban users, or silence them if need be. You'll have full control to censor as need be.

4. There's a special feature called "channels". Let me explain... Let's say that you have a bunch of members that want to talk about Attack on Titan season 2.. But there are also an equal amount of members who don't want the series spoiled for them. How do you fix this? Well, simply create a channel inside your chatroom and now all those members can talk about AoT as much as they want without spoiling it for anyone in the main channel.

5. There is also a voice channel which is free to use. And I know a lot of the members love getting drunk and talking on the channel.

6. It is lightweight, as it uses less battery and bandwidth than Skype.

7. The design is clean and easy on the eyes. It takes some time getting used to, but once you understand how it works, it is really easy to navigate and chat with friends.

And for all those reasons listed above, I feel like Discord would make a great chat platform for our forums to use, instead of what we currently have.

#1 4xdblack, May 10, 2017
    Last edited: May 10, 2017
  2. Shi

Shi The Aspirer
    Staff Member Administrator Platinum Founder

3. 4xdblack

Silver Founder Plus

4. Shi

Shi The Aspirer
    Staff Member Administrator Platinum Founder

People seem to prefer the IRC channel over the Discord, so we ended up sticking with IRC.
    I was an advocate for Discord, but not everyone was on board.

5. 4xdblack

Silver Founder Plus

Are you sure it's not just because no one actually knew it existed therefore all migrated to the chat where everyone else was? Cause I don't see how anyone would choose Kiwi over another chat :|

6. KT Samurai

KT Samurai The Peacemaker
    Staff Member Administrator "Owner"

Positive.

The truly old school, "old" being the optimal word here, prefer IRC.

The other concern was that Discord might take up the social space that the forum itself is intended to occupy. The fear is, why go on SC at all when you can just chill in Disc?

This would probably be a good time to have a public discussion on this subject. Have at 'er.

7. Shannon Apple

Shannon Apple Sour Apple
    Staff Member Administrator

Yep, the fact that Discord is actually like a forum in itself, but in a different form is one of the reasons that I definitely haven't advocated for it. If I was interested in spending most of my time on a chat server where I can create various rooms for different topics, it would be there, but then I wouldn't be contributing to the forum.

This is the reason why I am much more in favour of an onsite chat. NOT A CHATBOX though. But something that actually keeps our membership onsite. Really, the offsite chats should be places where people go when they feel like congregating somewhere, but unofficially. Back on A4, that was Skype and Tinychat. We never made those "official" because it wasn't the intention to push people away from the community. People kinda just made days to go and gather on some random Tinychat room.

Back on A4, when the staff started congregating on Skype it was actually really bad for the forum. We stopped contributing to the mod forum because we had another means of communication. In turn, less was actually getting done despite talking the talk on those calls or chats. Anything that pulls attention away from the forum is bad bad bad. The IRC is just a naked chat, some people don't like it for that reason, us old-ER ( :p ) folk use it simply because we just want to chat, nothing else. (BTW kids, the chat isn't on Kiwi. That's just one of many apps you can use to access it. It was the best looking browser app that I could find at the time).

I guess we might have to find an alternative chat to keep the kids happy without pushing people offsite.

#7 Shannon Apple, May 10, 2017
    Last edited: May 10, 2017
  8. 4xdblack

Silver Founder Plus

The reason why I am a bigger advocate for chatrooms is that a large majority of friends that I made on A4 and SC, I made via chatrooms. It's a lot easier to feel a sense of community when the response is directed and instant. I feel like it's the internet equivalent of texting vs face to face.

Though I can definitely see your point on how channels would lead to a prioritizing of the chatroom over the forums. But of course, you don't have to have channels if you don't want to. It was just a feature that could be useful.

9. Rat

Rat Rodent scum

so what you're saying is you want the chatbox back

10. wastaz

wastaz Stuffed tiger
    Staff Advisory

While the other points are fair enough this one is just wrong. Discord is a closed source application with a proprietary protocol. You are forced to use their clients/apps and nothing else. IRC has been around since forever, has a gazillion options for different clients and is not owned by a single company operating it for profit. While I agree that the kiwi client is crap, there's pretty much not a single platform that has ever existed that didnt have an IRC client.

With that said, IRC is oldschool and I can totally understand if the younger generation wants something fancier. Just dont come and argue that discord is more accessible or inclusive ;)

11. Interest1ng

Interest1ng SC's AmbASSador.... MAWP!!!

And if you don't like kiwi you can always use Mibbit for a web browser IRC client at www.mibbit.com.

Or download an IRC client to your computer, tablet, phone. Just saying Discord is not the only one out there that is multi platform ;)

12. StrawHats

StrawHats Stuck in a chair
    Staff Member Moderator Founder

Fixed it for you.

13. Interest1ng

Interest1ng SC's AmbASSador.... MAWP!!!

But I actually had to edit it to make it stick.

14. Shannon Apple

Shannon Apple Sour Apple

If you're a regular user of the chat, you probably should have looked into an IRC client. I absolutely agree that Kiwi is kinda crappy, but works as a quick link.

Since I'm a designer, I like lightweight things that won't take up a ton of phone space, and that look nice.On mac and iphone, there is an awesome client called Colloquy. It looks clean and well... nice. It's also free.

On android, there is androIRC. (I use this on my android device)

On Windows, mIRC or Hexchat (In fact there are lots of these, so you can google for one that you like.)

For people who have a little more tech knowledge, there is WeeChat and it works across all platforms. It has more support on Linux and MacOS though since both unix based and weechat is native to Linux.

An onsite chat was kinda low on our priority list, but that's not to say that we aren't willing to look into a solution that requires very little maintenance for admins. A chatbox doesn't fit that mould because every time we update Xenforo, we must also update support for rekt and UI.X. On A4, everytime a change like this was made, it broke the chatbox, so I definitely don't blame Shi for being against that option since he was the one fixing that. lol.

15. Deathstroke

Deathstroke 182.6% More Badass Than Your Average Villain

I can't access Discord from my Windows Phone, which is what I'm limited to. :(

16. Kuze

Kuze Heaven's not enough
    Contributor

You're always welcome to hang out in our IRC chatroom here:

https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.rizon.net/SakugaCity

Just put in a nickname and start. It's usually quiet in the weekends but you can catch people on the weekdays preferably....early American time or something or basically 8pm British time

17. Shannon Apple

Shannon Apple Sour Apple

@Deathstroke.
    A few people use the discord, but I think there are quite a few people who stick to the IRC, it's lightweight and easier to hide while at work than discord. XD For the same reason, it's often dead on the weekends, because people like Dunn and Interest1ng like to use the chat to skive at work. :p

I have an Android phone, so I use AndroIRC to access the SC chatroom. The Kiwi web link at the top right of the forum works fine, but it does time out sometimes.

Dunno what this one is like, but it's a free IRC app for windows phones.
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/p/pocket-irc/9nblggh0f75p

This one isn't free, but it does look slightly better than the above
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/p/foo-irc/9wzdncrdct50

If you google, IRC app for windows phone, you'll probably find a few of them.

Our server is irc.rizon.net and the room is #sakugacity

#17 Shannon Apple, Oct 15, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2017