Romance Night is Short, Walk On Girl (Yoru wa Mijikashi Arukeyo Otome) Anime Film

Discussion in 'New In Japan' started by Kuze, Feb 23, 2017.

1. Kuze

Kuze 『WANTED』
    Contributor

[​IMG]

Lowdown:

A black haired girl is walking around the streets of Kyoto, from the night scene of Pontocho to a second-hand book fair in Shimogamo, then off to a college fair. The main character that has a romantic feeling for her secretly follows her around and looks for the opportunities to run into her in a manner that seems like a coincidence. Unfortunately for him, she is not interested in love yet so she does not notice his feelings. What waits these two characters are crazy incidents caused by individuals such as a person who introduces himself as a Japanese mythical creature Tengu, the god of second-hand book or the money lender in a three story vehicle.

(Source: Sugoi Japan)

Yoru wa Mijikashi Arukeyo Otome Anime Film Previews Asian Kung-Fu Generation's Theme Song in Trailer

TOHO Animation began streaming a new 90-second trailer on Wednesday for Masaaki Yuasa's anime film of The Tatami Galaxy and The Eccentric Family author Tomihiko Morimi's Yoru wa Mijikashi Arukeyo Otome (The Night is Short, So Walk, Girl) novel. The video previews Asian Kung-Fu Generation's theme song "Arano wo Aruke" (Walk the Wasteland).

The film will open in theaters in Japan on April 7.

The main staff of the Tatami Galaxy anime is returning for the film. Masaaki Yuasa (Kick-Heart, Ping Pong, Mind Game) is directing the film at his Science SARU studio, and Makoto Ueda is writing the script. Yūsuke Nakamura, the cover artist for the original novel as well as Tatami Galaxy, is designing the characters. Michiru Oshima is composing the music.

Further read: here

#1 Kuze, Feb 23, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2017
  2. Kuze

Kuze 『WANTED』
    Contributor

Masaaki Yuasa's Night is Short, Walk On Girl (Yoru wa Mijikashi Arukeyo Otome) anime film has won the Ottawa International Film Festival Grand Prize for Features award.

3. Kuze

Kuze 『WANTED』
    Contributor

GKIDS has announced that it has acquired the North American distribution rights for Night is Short, Walk On Girl.

4. Kuze

Kuze 『WANTED』
    Contributor

@Matemar

If you're on a Yuasa binge, be sure to give this film a shot as well. It's directed by Yuasa and the art direction and tone is quite similar to the Tatami Galaxy. It's won a host of awards as well (including the recent Animation of the Year award at the 41st annual Japan Academy Prizes).

5. Matemar

Matemar The Crow

Not exactly on a binge it just happens that the most of the shows I've been interested lately have been by Yuasa.

I'll check it out regardless. (y)

6. Kuze

Kuze 『WANTED』
    Contributor

Fathom Events and GKIDS have announced that the anime film will screen in United States theaters on Tuesday, August 21 and Wednesday, August 22. Tickets are available on GKIDS' website.

Tickets: Click me

7. Matemar

Matemar The Crow

I didn't say this the last time I was here, but the art-style is really similar to The Tatami Galaxy.

If it manages to be as good as that show, hats off to the staff.

8. Kuze

Kuze 『WANTED』
    Contributor

GKIDS and Shout! Factory will release the anime film on a Blu-ray Disc and DVD combo pack on January 29, 2019. The release will include an interview with Masaaki Yuasa.

9. Matemar

Matemar The Crow

I have no idea why I haven't noticed this before, but the similarities don't end at the art-style. The shows happen in the same universe and there are reoccurring characters in Higuchi Seitarou (the dude with the eggplant shape head), Hanuki Ryouko, and if you look at the covers (which are very similar btw) you can see that there is a character in the top left corner that looks awfully like Ozu (which can also be seen on the The Tatami Galaxy cover on the bottom right).

10. Kuze

Kuze 『WANTED』
    Contributor

The baby Ozu.