Mystery Oldboy (2003)

Discussion in 'Film & Television' started by Kuze, Sep 21, 2016.

1. Kuze

Kuze Heaven's not enough
    Contributor

[​IMG]

Or Oldeuboi is a South Korean crime thriller mental stuff. Thought I'd check it out this weekend. Anyone else who has watched this?

There's a Japanese manga source and a 2013 English remake.

Lowdown
    :

Read: here

2. Oh Snape

Oh Snape House Bantsratheon
    Staff Member Moderator

Chan Wook Parks opus. This was THE asian movie back in day. Don't let the weebz wax on about Battle Royale or The Ring. Lies.

Check the rest of the Revenge trilogy, I Saw The Decvil and Memories Of Murder for similar. Save The Green Planet! pwns them all but is different.

Novaire, Kuze and StrawHats like this.
  3. StrawHats

StrawHats Stuck in a chair
    Staff Member Moderator Founder

The themes in this movie were very odd--so good. Many people liked its gore and badassery, but I personally enjoyed the way it handled the idea of revenge and its cause-and-effect.

Like Snap mentioned, I Saw the Devil is a similar movie and is just as good of a watch. You're in for a good time.

Kuze likes this.
  4. Kerberos

Kerberos genki moe blob
    Staff Member Moderator

This is one of the darkest, most disturbing films I've seen. And like StrawHats said it's really the themes and soulcrushingly disturbing final twist that really makes this a film you won't likely forget.

Also check out Park Chan Wook's latest: Stoker. An equally dark and disturbing but very differs t film. About a family that slowly falls apart and a careful exploration and ultimately deconstruction of the American dream.

@Oh Snape: Shut up you! Battle Royale is awesome.

Kuze likes this.
  5. Novaire

Novaire Serial Editor
    Editor Contributor Gold Founder

Incidentally I came here to ask about Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance, which sounded the most appealing of the three. I figured if I was going to watch three vaguely related films, I might as well do it in order.

I've actually got all five of these films listed as something to check out, but I'm incredibly bad at just sitting down to watch subtitled stuff. I haven't heard of Save The Green Planet, but the premise sounds sufficiently dumb for me to check it out as well.

Side-note, I also didn't like Battle Royale, so more power to ya.

6. Gaff

Gaff Za Warudo
    Silver Founder Plus

I enjoyed OldBoy when I saw it, but it's not something I've ever felt any great need to revisit.

Beyond the revenge theme and some shared casting, there's not much to really connect them. I actually thought Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance was the least of the three, but it's still perfectly watchable.

Oh Snape likes this.
  7. Novaire

Novaire Serial Editor
    Editor Contributor Gold Founder

That's what I figured, but I thought I might as well go with release order since I planned on watching all three of them anyway. Good to know though, thanks.

8. Oh Snape

Staff Member Moderator

Yeah all three have common themes, namely revenge. However I think they're also about redemption and 'letting things go.' Nobody likes a Madara. Park has a knack for dark humour and razer sharp editing as well.

For the record, I really dug the BR movie, some memorable scenes and shame Kinji Fukasaku died during filming of BR2 as that had some cracking concepts and was ballsy as hell for when it was released.

Thank me later.

Kuze likes this.
  9. Enies

Enies Famous Member

I saw the devil is pretty great. Memories of murder is personally one of my favorite movies. There is just something so unique about it and it manages to portray the atmosphere so well.

a bittersweet life is another amazing movie.

10. Kuze

Kuze Heaven's not enough
    Contributor

While we are at it, Park Chan-wook's new movie The Handmaiden dropped last month.

Oh Snape and Kerberos like this.
  11. Kerberos

Kerberos genki moe blob
    Staff Member Moderator

Oh thanks for the heads up. I'll defo check it out.

Kuze likes this.
  12. Oh Snape

Staff Member Moderator

Handmaiden sounds great.

[​IMG]

Stoker was beyond creepy in places but tried too hard to be Lynch esque. Also 'I Am A Cyborg, But Its Ok' has one of the most organic relationships I've seen on film.

Kuze likes this.