Open Discussion on SC

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by 4xdblack, Feb 6, 2017.

1. Struggler

Struggler Sapient Meat
    Platinum Founder

Even entertaining the idea of removing an entire section of the forum because a handful of people -- because that's the "majority" here, a very small group of people who actively participate in CE threads -- are bothered by a couple other people's possible ignorance and/or use of improper arguments is ridiculous.

This is such a non-issue it only emphasizes the problem of staff's political biases too heavily influencing their enforcement of rules -- and planned enforcement of what aren't even rules, like using straw man arguments. This is a problem to you because it bothers you personally, not that it's actually a big deal.

Do we have an ignore function? If we don't, implement one. Problem solved. Everyone can post, and everyone can choose whose posts they actually have to see when doing so.

ThisGuy, 4xdblack, Enies and 2 others like this.
  2. Shi

Shi The Aspirer
    Staff Member Administrator Platinum Founder

@Struggler
    Ignore feature is a great idea actually. I'll investigate this.

Struggler likes this.
  3. Mr. Mister

Mr. Mister Is Breaking Down

That is actually quite a good idea. That way people can still say what they want, within the guidelines of the site rules, and people won't go crazy if they say things that offend them. Just click "Ignore," and move on. Great thinking!

4xdblack likes this.
  4. Oh Snape

Oh Snape House Bantsratheon
    Staff Member Moderator

But then I'll miss out on all the retarded shit people believe and support. ;.;

Scruffie, 4xdblack, Novaire and 2 others like this.
  5. Shannon Apple

Shannon Apple Sour Apple
    Staff Member Administrator

We definitely do have an ignore feature in your profile. If you hover over your name in the top-right, "people you ignore" is one of the options. However, while a user could add someone to their ignore list, this doesn't remedy the fact that everyone else can see the toxicity going on. It's not healthy for the forum at large. I do advise people to use the ignore feature if there is someone on the forum that you just cannot stand. This would indeed prevent things escalating to boiling point.

6. Red_Dragon

Red_Dragon Famous Member
    Platinum Founder

Just ignored Shannon to test this, received this error:

The following error occurred:
    Staff members may not be ignored.

I disappoint.

But really though, that's nice to have. It would be nice if we could integrate maybe a thread or some type of tutorial that shows some features of the site? Would be a neat feature. Hell maybe even a YouTube video showing these features, but I guess that's for another thread.

7. Scruffie

Scruffie Pro Tarantula Bro-Fister
    Editor

I like the idea of temporary bans being able to be implemented to specific sections. The whole section shouldn't be sacrificed for the many because of a few, and if people can't follow the guidelines it makes sense they'd be held accountable for it.

We all know who's really to blame though...

Thanks, Trump.

8. Moe

Moe Fed to the Rancor

I've been lurking as this thread has progressed and many of the issues 4xdblack has point out I have been trying to address as well, just not as articulated as he has presented them.

So my views on what should become of the Current Events section is this. Either we close it--which does end the bitching fests. Or we do put stricter rules in place. The main one being no more political threads. Religion can be included with this but since I don't see a second coming of Christ in the future, there really are no religious Current Event threads and they'd be more suited for the General Discussion section.

This being said, an alternative for those of us who do want to have a political thread to discuss in, have it be a hidden section for those who are able to discuss such matters appropriately.

9. Grungie

Grungie Established Member
    Contributor

Conservatives are all evil fascist racists

Liberals are all coddled babies and think free speech is anything that doesn't offend them.

Amidoinirite?

10. Enies

Enies Famous Member

I've been to forums with a lot worse of an echo chamber than this one, and btw forums with a lot more people than this...you'd think more variety in opinion, but the echo chamber does well to wean out people who don't think like you. Several people from here would have already been banned already probably including you and the only thing you see through hundreds of posts is people just agreeing with each other and confirming each others biases. What's the point of a forum if everyone is just going to agree with each other? I feel like people disagreeing with each other is what forums are all about in that people discuss different perspectives and hopefully people learn something from it.

With that said, SC is much more lenient than some of these forums i'm talking about, unless you go to subculture/forums that intentionally encourage dissenting opinions. But It would be a shame to head that way as most forums are not really a place to find independent thought. But I feel like thats because the general population tends to lack it in general.

#70 Enies, Feb 12, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
    ThisGuy and 4xdblack like this.
  11. Shannon Apple

Shannon Apple Sour Apple

It is indeed important to have a diversity of opinions, but at the same time, it's important to remember that not all opinions are equal. One can't just continue spouting ignorant opinions toward people based on gender, religion, colour or sexual orientation. This forum is meant to be welcoming and inclusive of everyone regardless of who they are, provided that they abide by our rules.

Our basic forum rules which can be found in the FAQ and the basic TOS agreement that people probably didn't read when signing up http://www.sakugacity.com/help/terms (second paragraph) pretty much lay down the law against hateful, offensive speech. The TOS hasn't changed since before the forum was opened, so might be worth taking a look.

I'm not expecting you to respect religions or countries. I'm personally expecting you to respect each other and the fact that members here come from so many different countries. Respect that they have different cultures, and don't say things that you know are going to target a specific group of members. Majority are from North America, followed by the UK, but there are smaller groups from all over the world and many of those are people you talk to every day.

And the biggest thing to remember is that we're a geek forum, not a political site. Geeks are basically a culture onto themselves. I would like to think that geeks look out for each other and can come here to talk about the things we love rather than tear strips off each other over the things that we disagree on.

@Grungie: I honestly wish that wasn't the case. It's a small site, so would definitely like to see people thinking before they post something that is likely to offend their fellow members.

12. 4xdblack

4xdblack Accomplished Booty-Cop
    Silver Founder Plus

Just throwing around an idea I had earlier.

Maybe create a "CE Squad". Get some of the mods that don't go to political discussions and have them monitor what gets said. I feel like @Narilka would be a good fit for that kind of position. I'd nominate @Kuze but he would just delete anything that isn't about fire extinguishers. Idk if he can be objective enough.

13. Dunn x Dolo

Dunn x Dolo King of the Chatroom
    Silver Founder

Kuze isn't a mod anymore. He just never leaves the forum.........ever. He really let SC down when he didn't give his stalker the "D." We all lost faith in him.

Narilka and Scruffie like this.
  14. Shannon Apple

Shannon Apple Sour Apple

Some of us took an interest in CE purely BECAUSE of the behaviour there. We learned the hard way that trying to change certain unsavory attitudes by attempting to educate people doesn't work. We're done. We won't be doing that anymore, just enforcing the rules. Of course, we'll still post on stuff that interests us. All staff are welcome to post in CE. If a staff member has a personal issue with a user, that staff member will pass the buck to another. That's basic etiquette that we've always adhered to. There won't be a way around that and we won't be burdening a specific mod with that task of CE, or restricting them from using that part of the forum if they wish. Staff must follow the same rules as everyone else.

15. Kuze

Kuze Heaven's not enough
    Contributor

NOT TRUE. DEFAMATORY. SAD!

ThisGuy, Dunn x Dolo and 4xdblack like this.
  16. Narilka

Narilka Destroyer of Worlds
    Staff Member Moderator Platinum Founder

@4xdblack Already there, I stop in there a couple of times a day when I am on. I am not well versed on politics, not my thing, so I usually only take care of the posts that I can tell don't follow the rules.

4xdblack and StrawHats like this.
  17. Grungie

Grungie Established Member
    Contributor

On a serious note, I think one of the problems with political subjects, is that some people tend to get personally invested in their ideologies.

With this, they throw in unecessary snide remarks, which intentionally, or unintentionally annoy people. I always find it annoying and immature, and really hinders the conversation, regardless of whether I agree with the rest of their comment or not.

I think comments like that should probably be policed if you're trying to clean up what goes on in the CE forum, especially when that seems to be very common on there.

You can cry about your free speech taken away, but if you want to make childish comments like that, you're not adult enough to have a mature conversation on that topic.

Moe likes this.
  18. Oh Snape

Staff Member Moderator

Can we lock this thread now? I keep reading its aspen discusiion on SFC and shits making me hungry.

This is why everyone on here sounds fat.

Scruffie likes this.
  19. Oh Snape

Staff Member Moderator

Can we lock this thread now? I keep reading its aspen discusiion on SFC and its making me hungry.

This things going to give me a heart attack.