Picard

Discussion in 'Film & Television' started by Griffmeister, Jan 28, 2020.

1. Griffmeister

Griffmeister What the hell are you staring at?
    Gold Founder

Anyone watched this yet? Any thoughts? Kind of starts out on a tragic note and opens up a lot of questions. Been so long that I don’t remember when I last saw Picard in relation to this time line. Maybe someone can help me out here so I can review past events.

2. Oh Snape

Oh Snape House Bantsratheon
    Staff Member Moderator

Cool I'll start it soon. After I've binged The Expanse.

Also, they better have a Shatner episode.

3. ThisGuy

ThisGuy Kin of the Cosmos
    Platinum Founder

This was recommended by a friend after we had a "relaxing discussion" on Janeway vs Picard. I mean I liked TNG like everyone else but I feel Janeway is a starfleet captain who was consistently in a more "realistically" perilous situation.

Anyways I'm def gunna check this out.

4. Oh Snape

Oh Snape House Bantsratheon
    Staff Member Moderator

Never finished Voyager.

I'm hanging onto hope they never made it home and had their mediocre asses assimilated. Into Borg toasters and roomba's and shit.

ThisGuy likes this.
  5. Crimson

Crimson New Member

I've heard it's terrible. Trek has been that way since 2009, sadly.

Worst of all, it's just more identity politics and the like, rather than any genuine interest in telling a compelling story. I would never give something like that my time. Stop trying to tell me what to think and just make a story you want to tell, then I might be curious.

6. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

Late to the party but I did watch it when it aired. For the most part I liked it. Though just like what I heard about discovery why the obsession with getting the f word into star trek???, they did it more then once so it wasn't just a shocker move in Picard. That was kind of one of the good things about star trek. They didn't need ultra vulgarity they had story and characters to work with. And the gore was a bit much here and there.

BUT TO THE SHOW.

I thought it was a rushed a bit at the end when sochi (did I get her name right?) Found out what she was. And the do it all gizmo from the androids was a bit too convenient. Did the ai doctor get a reprieve from killing maddox?? She just gets to go out with everybody again?

I DO like the resolution with data. And having another soong was a delight. I do say the soccer ball gag was fun. I think baseball was the only modern sport in the nineties trek era to be featured. Oh wait racquetball and tennis on ds9 too bashir/Obrien.

So I think I would have put more time into her coping with it before meeting the androids. And the pacing was a little weird at times. It felt like some could have been longer and others shorter.

I'm not sure I'll rush for seaxon two. I'm trying to keep my subs to a minimum. I did monthly for Picard. I have crunchyroll which is all I want right now oh yeah I have disney plus too for the three year deal so I have plenty). I haven't seen discovery partly because its pay and because I had found they were doing the excessive swearing that I dont want in trek. Yes I love John wick and can handle swearing but I dont want it in what is supposed to be higher evolved optimistic sci-fi the way Roddenberry had intended it. Sure he may have done the same if r rated sci-fi was a thing back then but it wasn't so he didn't. (OK not blade runner or alien but contemporary like star wars). Sorry it just bugs me when a tradition is changed.

7. Captain Picard

Captain Picard Non mihi, non tibi, sed nobis.
    Platinum Founder

I haven't seen it (ironic I know). I'm too apprehensive of how Picard, as a character, was/is handled.

Capt Picard, as seen in TNG, represents the leader and mentor we all wish we worked for. His sagely wisdom, nobility, and unwavering moral compass are qualities that I endeavor to emulate in my professional and personal life.

8. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

I would say for the most part they did a good job. As I mentioned there were bits I disagreed with. Also the pacing is a bit off. I cant put my finger on it.

There are some character moments that I dont agree with either.

What I would suggest is to take the dive and use a free trial to watch the first episode to gauge if you'd be interested. Then just pay a month to finish it and cancel if you don't see a need for the rest of cbs access.

I will warn you dont expect it to be season 8 of tng or a direct sequel of nemesis. It is fifteen or twenty years after and they make changes to the universe. It may make you uncomfortable if you're a staunch tng purist. I had to put some of my disdain aside to finish it.

The ending is very very worth it.