Playstation being Stubborn on Online Cross-play Support

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Red_Dragon, Jun 13, 2017.

1. Red_Dragon

Red_Dragon Established Member
    Platinum Founder

I won't even link an article since this has been a topic waging for a couple of days, am I the only one annoyed that Sony won't budge on this? I have all current gen consoles and I'm not understanding the logic from Sony's perspective. Rocket League and Minecraft will both play on Xbox One, Nintendo Switch, and PC I can't see why Sony won't budge on this.

I think there is going to be a time where we're going to see something like cross play with say some online Final Fantasy game between Nintendo and Microsoft and Sony won't be involved, what are your thoughts?

#1 Red_Dragon, Jun 13, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2017
  2. Novaire

Novaire Serial Editor
    Editor Contributor Gold Founder

Yeah. It's shitty from pretty much every perspective. Obviously it negatively affects the consumer's experience in the long run, but it can be even more tedious for developers, especially in situations where crossplay could make a positive impact on niche games. A niche audience divided by four leaves very few users per platform, and those number only dwindle as time goes on.

Jim Ryan's 'explanation' was pathetic as well. He avoided answering the question as to why they're squashing cross-platform with blanket statements like "We're always open to conversations with any developer or publisher who wants to talk about it." If Microsft and Nintendo, or CD Projekt Red and Psyonix aren't able to get it done, what hope does any other developer or publisher have?

#2 Novaire, Jun 13, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2017
    Red_Dragon likes this.
  3. Red_Dragon

Platinum Founder

My favorite thing was when he went for the whole "Think of the children thing" like really? I thought that was Nintendo's thing, lol. You could see they were stumbling to come up with an answer. I get these guys are in a comfortable lead, and feel they have the upper hand, but I'm just looking at it from the perspective of say the possibilities this could open up. Lets look at say Monster Hunter, imagine if Monster Hunter XX comes out for both Xbox and Switch. Imagine with Nintendo's new online interface debuting next year having some type of connectivity with Xbox Live through cross-play how incredible would that be? Say I have the game for Xbox One and then I want to take it on the go so I keep my character/stats on my Nintendo Switch by just logging into my Capcom/character account. This would be like a dream come true and I could see this happening down the road.

I hope ultimately they do it, it's the right thing for all.

Novaire likes this.
  4. Shi

Shi The Aspirer
    Staff Member Administrator Platinum Founder

Welcome the return of Sony.

Before the PS4, just remember, this is how Sony was always like. They're no saints. They only came out that way because Microsoft made some massive PR blunders that they're still paying for, nearly 4 years after the fact.

5. Enies

Enies Famous Member

kaz hairi has made a comeback for sony though increasing 3 billion profits to nearly 7 billion profits not seen since decades. They are making money on all sectors but sometimes their anti-consumer practices really bother me. Even though I support their products over samsung and apple (they still make the best TVs, phones, and consoles) but it bothers me when they become anti-consumer.

The playstation 4 is the only thing thats keeping this company afloat sometimes I wonder what they are even thinking. and the only reason ps4 is selling more is because their exclusives are better and xbox messed up their release.

6. Red_Dragon

Platinum Founder

I know I agree on this especially with regards to things like Backwards compatibility. I'm also starting to have a dislike for their hardware (Not PlayStation related) 2 years ago I got a Sony 4K TV a 50" and it already has a huge green line on the right side down the middle. When I called Sony they said it was out of warranty, when I checked they were right, but I'm so mind blown that barely 2 years? I've also hardly use the TV in the first year I've owned it. That's crazy to me that not even 2 years and there's already a hardware issue. My last Sony Bravia lasted only 4 years, I saw these new Sony 4K OLED and was going to buy one but now I'm going to have to think really, really hard. LG OLED or Samsung QLED TV's are going to be my replacement for my Bravia later this year.

7. Enies

Enies Famous Member

that sucks. Its either you got unlucky with the lottery quality, or the quality control of sony is really bad. I find usually sony isn't really quality on cheaper models. Right now the best Bravia TV is 900E series and the 930E for the money. The z9d is the absolute flagship and top of the line and prob the best tv in the world. I'd highly recommend the 900E/930e though for the money. The sony 4k oled uses LG made panel. but is better than LG due to their superior image algorithm. When sony works right its really good, but their quality control can be questionable and some of their stuff lasts a long time so it really depends i guess. Their most recent stuff has fixed a lot of quality control issues with their phones also having no water resistance issues anymore. I'd probably give them another chance though. Samsung or LG aren't exactly any better. especially LG.

Its a company that has huge potential but sometimes their idiotic Japanese business bureaucracy gets in the way they think they are still in their glory days.

8. Red_Dragon

Platinum Founder

Yeah Man I could completely understand this. In 2008 I bought a high end Samsung and it STILL works and it's been almost ten years. That was a 1080P display it looks freaking great still, to have an LCD TV last that long no matter what is miraculous. I know since than the QA on Samsung TV's has gotten worse but my own experience with having a Samsung TV for this long has pushed me back to the brand. I wasn't originally sold on QLED because I thought it was a gimmick but when I saw it in person recently, my mind was completely blown. This thing looks incredible, and LED is more proven the OLED only because it's been longer but I'll most likely go with OLED because if I'm going to be spending $2000+ I'm going to get the best available.

I'll definitely keep everyone posted on what I decide to buy.

9. Grungie

Grungie Established Member
    Contributor

I know Sony usually did cross play support between PC and PS servers, while Microsoft strangely didn't for a long time. Though between PS and Xbox servers, it seems both are guilty.

10. Enies

Enies Famous Member

actually LCD have a longer lifespan than OLED or anything else. they are supposed to last long. Sony helped samsung rise to fame btw it was sony engineers who helped samsung become what it is now. LCD is supposed to last long maybe you got defective models or something. but from 2013 onward since the XBR series they've improved quality and everything on their electronics.

#10 Enies, Jun 16, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2017
  11. Shi

Shi The Aspirer

Kaz Hirai did not make a comeback for Sony.
    That was entirely up to his team back during the launch of the PS4. Most of which are even there anymore.
    Jack Tretton, Andrew House, Yu Hoshida, Mark Cerny and Adam Boyes. These are the guys that went up and absolutely obliterate Microsoft in the PR department.

3 out of 5 of those people don't work for Sony anymore.

Sony is still operating in the red with PlayStation as the only stable division. What they're doing isn't anti-consumer, it's trying to keep the company afloat. The cross-play stuff, I repeat, has always been Sony's stance. They were always like this in the past. People in the gaming industry have a soft spot for Sony for what ever reason, but they have never given that much of a shit about you as a consumer. This is classic Sony and the way they operate hasn't changed. Even during the launch of the PS4.

They did well because Microsoft fucked up.

Just remember, Microsoft beat Sony the majority of the last generation with almost no good exclusives. If "exclusives" sell a console, PS3 would've done gangbusters, but look, it didn't. It took them all of last generation to catch up because they got destroyed in PR.

12. Red_Dragon

Platinum Founder

You know I never like Jack Tretton at all, he may have been a smart business man but this guy was just a complete pain to watch on the E3 stage. Zero enthusiasm and just didn't show the passion for games. To me in that regard Shawn Layden is much, much better. Shawn Layden also seems to understand video games in general a lot better because when you listen to his stories on stage like when he talks about talking with the fans, Jack never did that. The other issue I had with Jack, he did really poor in interviews and came off as too scripted/corporate, I don't get that vibe with Shawn.

I think Microsoft is making the right moves right now, I love that they're not forcing anyone into the Xbox One X and still supporting the old console. I love that they're continuing backwards compatibility and that they're adding the OG Xbox into it. Throw that in with Cross-Play and I'm really, really excited with what they have going on.

13. Enies

Enies Famous Member

all their divisions are profitable. Their xperia line has become profitable once again at 150-200mil net and their TV market share is also rising. They are reaching profits never seen before since 2008 and sony market cap is about to reach 50 billion. People also forget that Sony xperia was reaching 3 billion profits in 2013-2014. Its also grabbing significant TV market share again and posing a threat to LG and samsung. http://www.businesskorea.co.kr/engl...ny-posts-threat-samsung-lg-high-end-tv-market

xperia made 150 mil in 2016 while LG is losing 1 billion in smartphones. LG is getting squezzed leaving only samsung to fight the high end Tv and smartphone.

it seems like lots of people have a negative outlook on sony but the reality is they are making a comeback and I think maybe kaz hairi is a genius for that.

#13 Enies, Jun 18, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2017
  14. Grungie

Contributor

I'm kind of surprised the Xperia line is becoming profitable. I was always under the impression that Apple, LG and Samsung have an iron grip on the smartphone market.

I think what hurt Sony the most in the TV market, was that around the time 4K was coming out, they instead were pushing an initiative over shoving 3D TV's down our throats, which clearly went well for them with how prominent those are.

15. Enies

Enies Famous Member

LG is losing lots of money in smartphones. and they are also losing martket share to sony in TVs. They made terrible phone last year and even this year its not enough to get them back. Sony has potential to become number 3 biggest player and eventually number 2.

in the US apple and samsung does. but in Europe and others not entirely. The note 7 debacle kind of helped boost xperia sales.

yeah that gimmicky stuff and terrible quality control. Over the years the XBR line of TVs has been top quailty. and in 2017 their TV's are really the best right now.

16. Shi

Shi The Aspirer

@Enies
    EDIT:

Rewrote my post to better clarify:

Kaz has not turned Sony around. Not yet. He still has a lot of work to do in terms of gearing up the company culture to be more westernized and he also has to work a lot of deals to stop the ship from sinking.

Making a couple of hundreds of millions on a product is not the same thing as being successful in a company like Sony. Remember, they're competing against pretty much every company on the planet. Samsung, Microsoft, Apple, LG... some major media companies, you name it.

The reason why I'm saying that Sony has a long way to go is because in order to get to where they are now, they had to sell most of their divisions, spin them off or renegotiate deals in order for them to have some even ground to stand on.

They still have a very strong brand name, but at this time, the real test is if they can regain their lost legacy. What I mean by that is, after having spun things out and having sold their assets, they have been spending the last few months to a few years reinvesting in those divisions they got rid of. Their stock prices have skyrocketed recently because it's like investing in a startup. With the brand recognition and proven track record in making innovative technology, people are betting they will recapture what made them so good.

Keep in mind that Kaz has also been pushing most of their divisions and assets to the west. A lot of their executives now reside in the US and Europe across almost all divisions and that has to do with how weak the Japanese economy is. Their media presence in Japan is huge, but outside of that, it's not.

They're simply trying to stay afloat right now and plugging up holes to prevent the entire ship from sinking.

Making $100-$150 profit on Xperia is chump change especially when the Xperia is one of their weakest brands. They have to turn that into a billion dollar brand and that's not where Xperia is.

If you want a turn around, use Microsoft's Surface as an example. They wrote it off for hundreds of millions, but are now making billions and the Surface brand is now considered as strong or better than Apple's iPad / MacBook.

That's what Sony needs.
    I would've said Xperia would've been noteworthy if it had the same recognition as Samsung's Galaxy phones.

But it doesn't.

So no. Most of what you said doesn't matter because in the grand scheme of things, it's like getting back $2000 on a tax return.

#16 Shi, Jun 19, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
  17. Enies

Enies Famous Member

@Shi i agree with most of what you're saying I do think sony has a lot of potential and i was just checking its stock price it does increase for the reasons you stated. But I think Sony will be able to generate microsft levels of profit if they pull their cards right. Im actually pretty sure their TV division and smartphone will generate big profits this year.

Look at the x900e undercut samsung and LG by about a thousand dollars and its the best Tv you can get for that kind of money. Only tv better is the z9d which is 5k. Sony microled technology is seeing a huge boom and will be the technology that sony will have to use to dominate OLED and LCD production. Microled is the future, and sony has invested in this and has almost perfected technology lie 95 percent. They just need to increase yield rates and make the panel cheaper for the next couple of years.

They did more than just plug holes that was 2015. 2016 was a growth phase and 2017 I believe will be a profit year for sony due to their Tv's and smartphones. The sony XZp has much higher demand than Sony initially expected it also won an award at mwc for best phone for introducing technologies that no other company has. Im guessing it will sell a good 10-15 million and another 5-10 million for XZ1. Sony is fixing all the issues in the xperia division and one by one and they've also learned not to over-price their phones the XZp undercuts the s8+ by 50 dollars.

Microled technology is the future and sony has taht technology 95 percent matured they just need better yield rate productions.

You also have to realize sony's hands have been tied in the US due to some verizon exclusivity agreement they haven't been able to sell their phones thorugh US carriers. With the Fingeprrint scanner allowed once again in 2018 when the contract is over they can sell through US carriers that support gsm. And kaz has only been at the company as a CEO for 5 years. And within these 5 years it took him atleast 2-3 years to learn what was going on and 2 years to execute

Sony's strength never used to be advertising and they still dont really advertise well. Sony used to invest every single penny they had in R&D to make their technology so ahead that even companies spending billions in advertising couldn't keep up to them because there was nothing to compete with them technologically and wort of mouth would have kept them selling. its what sony is doing with their professional alpha series.

Times have changed ofc and now sony is in this situation. the xperia line is underrated though and I'm going to buy their new september flagship over a galaxy. The xperia line and sony introduced many firsts later copied by samsung and the rest.

18. Grungie

Contributor

Sony still has the music and film industry to rely on, though moreso the music industry, as they have a higher grab in that.

19. Red_Dragon

Platinum Founder

Even though I'm considering an OLED the X900E has been really appealing because apparently it performs like a $2K set, which definitely has me interested. I still think the best regular LED/LCD on the market is going to be the LG SJ8500/9500. There aren't any reviews out for these units but these units use LG's new Nano Cell Display which has a truly unique concept. Viewing angles are incredible (Nearly OLED like) and LG is one of the few brands to support HDR as well as Dolby Vision (Which is a huge selling point) I definitely have an interesting decision to make.

20. Enies

Enies Famous Member

I would consider the x900e over it any day. in fact I believe the only tv better than this is probably the FALD z9d (x900e is fald too) which is worth 5 thousand dollars and is the absolute top tech.
    Nano cell is kind of a gimmick that improves viewing angles but kind of washed out things. also suffers from light bleed http://imgur.com/a/NgaHo not anywhere near the level of x900e. LG is losing market share in tv they kind of fear sony.