Playstation being Stubborn on Online Cross-play Support

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Red_Dragon, Jun 13, 2017.

1. Red_Dragon

Red_Dragon Established Member
    Platinum Founder

LG SJ8500 review was released this morning by rtings: http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/sj8500

Results were average, disappointed that a high end set like this wasn't great, I guess with LG OLED is the only way to go. The 900E is definitely looking like the best performance TV in its bracket.

2. Shi

Shi The Aspirer
    Staff Member Administrator Platinum Founder

@Enies
    Just throwing this out there... not entirely sure where you're getting your info but Sony has been running at an operational loss for a while.

@Red_Dragon
    I just bought this guy: http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/c7
    I ended up going with LG over Sony mostly because Sony still likes to charge top dollar on everything they do and I'm too inclined on spending an additional $1500 just to get a black that is a little more black or a white that is a little more white.

Red_Dragon likes this.
  3. Enies

Enies Famous Member

and im telling you that they are making more sales than expected this year in both TV's and Xperia.

rtings is a joke of a review site. I would not get an LG oled it's expensive and highly overrated. the x900e does everything an LG oled does but is even better in brightness and dynamic range. also Sony's A1e oled is better than LG due to better image processing.

4. Shi

Shi The Aspirer

What are you talking about?
    Sony is by far, the most expensive brand out there. LG is consistently $500 to $1000 under their prices and offer comparable, if not better products.

This has been consistent with most reviewers.
    This has been consistent with most experts.
    This has been consistent with most repair technicians.

You may be right that Sony will sell more TVs and Xperia, but it doesn't change the fact that both LG and Samsung are very good at the business as well and that their TVs outside of maybe design or sound quality, is just as good or sometimes better in terms of image quality.

As far as I've been able to tell, both LG and Samsung have consistently scored high with image quality, but lower on other things such as sound quality and design, which is trivial at best.

5. Enies

Enies Famous Member

not with the 2017 models. Neither LG or Samsung can match the x900e they are about 1000 dollars more expensive. Most reviewers also say sony smartphone camera is bad which they are also wrong. and most reviewers say samsung is the best phone ever made which is just overyhyped.

6. Red_Dragon

Platinum Founder

Great choice dude, did you already get the TV yet? What are your impressions of the set?

The only thing that Semi scares me about OLED is I was reading that the 2015 LG OLED's suffered from Burn in that's what keeping me back a little. It's hard to beat what OLED gives in terms of color reproduction and clarity though.

7. Shi

Shi The Aspirer

@Red_Dragon
    I haven't gotten the TV yet, it's on the way and should be at my house in the next week.

I read that LG's 2017 models have a tool that you can use to set the TV in a pixel cycle mode while it's off and it takes like an hour. So you can do that when you're about to go to sleep. Almost all reviewers have said that if you wanted to game and you wanted to use a big ass TV as a monitor, the model I got is one of the best because of the response times. It's about 10ms faster than most models in the market.

Average rates for other companies (including Sony) is around 30-40ms for input.
    LG averages between 20-30ms.

This is my first OLED TV, so here's hoping that I didn't make a mistake.

Then again, I also sprung for a 50" Plasma TV before companies stopped making them in general. I only noticed image retention problems on it when I played a single game on it for long periods of time so UI elements such as the HUD and Mini Map being retained on the screen. You could see it if you pushed yourself to look for it, but at a cursory glance, you won't notice it.

The worst thing I've done was hooked up my NES to my Plasma TV. The image retention with NES games is pretty horrible lol.

I think that's the one downer I have with the TV so far before I even got it: There's no component hookups so I would have to get a convertor. Though, I don't think I would've hooked my NES up to it anyways given that my intention was to take full advantage of HDR and 4K.

8. Enies

Enies Famous Member

@Shi

okay so I looked up the LG c7 price tag....and you were saying you didn't wanna pay 1500 dollars extra for a sony TV but looking at the price of the lg c7 im assuming you paid 2500 for a 55 inch tv? Thats not exactly cheap dude you're actually overpaying for an under performing tv.

The entire 2017 sony lineup is actually not only cheaper by 1000 dollars (x900e 55inch) but also much better in performance. The LG C7 has a 350 nits brightness on 35% peak zone which is terrible and not comparable to an LCD. No point if you're getting a dimmer picture. X930e which is up a notch higher is still cheaper than LGC7 by 500 dollars....

The only sony tv you'd be paying extra "1500 dollars" for is the Z9d which is their top absolute flagship tv and the best TV in the world. The difference in brightness would be night and day between the z9d and the LGc7 and thats not even the 2017 flagship z9e which hasn't been released yet. Sony has learned not to overprice their products anymore the 2017 lineup is solid.
    The only real advantage of OLED is viewing angles and thats about it. FALD lcd has stepped up the game in making both Sony LCD tv's dark as oled in blacks but retaining the advantage of being much brighter with better colors/ hdr capabilities.

The thing with LG is they dont do any image processing if you disable upscaling which is why you get 25ms input lag. You can get 25ms lag on sony if you play native 4k content since the processor wont be doing any work if you do that.

If you hate sony so much I would even go as far to say to return this TV and get samsung q7/q8 instead. If you wanna give sony a chance get the x900e. LCD from both samsung and Sony are much better than any OLED. OLED will go down the way of plasmas once microled Tvs come out.

9. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

Howd crossplay turn into a tv buying guide thread? :D

Anyway i was surprised the psvr is crossplay with the vive for star trek bridge crew vr.

I guess sony just doesnt want to play with ms and nintendo quite yet.

Novaire likes this.
  10. Red_Dragon

Platinum Founder

Haha, we should probably make one of these threads.

#30 Red_Dragon, Jun 24, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2017
    yoda313 likes this.