Playstation plus is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Narilka, Apr 28, 2017.

1. Narilka

Narilka Destroyer of Worlds
    Staff Member Moderator Platinum Founder

So what makes playstation plus worth the $60/ year? I am interested in geting it and I have read what comes with it but are the deals really that good that come with it?

2. Novaire

Novaire Serial Editor
    Editor Contributor Gold Founder

It really depends on your circumstances. There are some pretty good ones on occasion, but for the most part, I've found them mostly inconsequential. Three of the featured deals right now are on Doom, Titanfall 2 and Borderlands: The Handsome Collection, each being offered at $30, 50% off of the normal digital price. That's not that bad, but if you take a trip to Gamestop, you'll see Doom at that price (pre-owned) at all times, Titanfall at just under $40, and The Handsome Collection at $15, brand new.

Personally, I think it comes down to how interested you are in multiplayer and the free games. The value for the 118 games that Sony gave away in 2016 amounted to just over $2000 dollars, so the value prospect certainly isn't offensive. You're losing a lot of that if you only own one of their consoles though, as a large part of that number comes from the two PS3 games and the Vita title each month. Using the website, you can still grab those games in case you plan to grab one of the other systems in the future though, so that's nice.

---

If you haven't already, I'd give the trial a shot during a week when you're interested in the sales. You'll get 14 days to toy around with the multiplayer, you can 'reserve' the free games, and you can take advantage of any discounts you are interested in. If you aren't in a rush, I'd just be on the lookout for a deal on a membership card.

ThisGuy likes this.
  3. StrawHats

StrawHats Stuck in a chair
    Staff Member Moderator Founder

If one mostly play single-player games that don't require online access, then one shouldn't spend $60/year. There are, of course, small perks to doing so if you purchase games/movies frequently. They always have discounts on random shit. The PS store also offer free games/themes/avatars but most of them are of low quality (there are, sometimes, hidden gems).

Basically, don't get it if you don't plan on playing online regularly. There are many, great games on PS4 that are perfect for single-player enthusiasts.

ThisGuy likes this.
  4. Narilka

Well I have learned over the years that I enjoy both single and multi players games depending in my mood. I purchased five games recently for some really good prices I only paid full price for one, which was Persona 5, but it was the same price everywhere.

Currently I only have ps4 but I plan to get ps vita in June if I don't decide on the switch

ThisGuy likes this.
  5. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

Free games and cloud storage are good benefits.

Im dropping mine in the summer though. I dont do multiplayer much and none on my ps4. Ill just force myself to manually backup games.

ThisGuy likes this.
  6. ThisGuy

ThisGuy Kin of the Cosmos
    Platinum Founder

Like everyone else above said:
    The only substantial thing PS+ has going for it is that it's the only way to play multiplayer. Otherwise the PS+ services are miss-able.

7. Shi

Shi The Aspirer
    Staff Member Administrator Platinum Founder

You get like $800+ worth of games a year for $60. That alone is enough to justify the purchase.

If you have a PS3, PS4 and a Vita, it's a must have.

8. Struggler

Struggler Sapient Meat
    Platinum Founder

Yes. Online multiplayer, game discounts, and free games for multiple Sony platforms every month? Yeah, worth it. If even just a couple free games throughout the year interest you, that alone makes the investment worth it.

9. Narilka

I think I made my mind up either way but would you be able to play with xbox players online as well or is it exclusively playstation users?

10. Novaire

Novaire Serial Editor
    Editor Contributor Gold Founder

Sony doesn't plan on allowing cross-platform play, so that's out of the ballpark.

Some games, Street Fighter V for example, do support cross-play with PC though.

11. Narilka

That is disappointing to say the least. Well I appreciate everyone for your thoughts, thank you.

12. StrawHats

StrawHats Stuck in a chair
    Staff Member Moderator Founder

The dream.

Narilka likes this.
  13. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

Fyi i think they still have monthly subscriptions. You could try it out and see if you want to commit to a longer term.

Narilka likes this.
  14. ThisGuy

Platinum Founder

This post brought to you by Sony.

15. Shi

Shi The Aspirer

Can't really tell if you're being sarcastic or not but factually: http://www.polygon.com/2016/12/1/13792048/playstation-plus-free-games-2016-value-analysis

I mean, I'm trying to be thrifty by mentioning the pricing and value, given that the question was if it was worth it (which it is given if you meet the criteria).

I could totally be a dick about since I have money and would easily drop $60 without batting an eye.
    I'm also the guy who spent close to $800 on Final Fantasy XV so it's whatever right?

But we can say that I'm a nice guy, I'm looking out for anyone who wants to know things factually.
    $60 for $800 I said? When in reality, it's closer to $1100+ if you happen to have all supported PS Plus devices. If not, with the PS4 alone, it's a value between $200-400, 24 games that you don't get to pick, for just $60.

16. Struggler

Struggler Sapient Meat
    Platinum Founder

Too bad at least 85% of the value comes from shitty indie games.

17. ThisGuy

Platinum Founder

@Shi
    It was a joke without ulterior intentions my dude, lighten up.

Obviously how much the deal is worth is up to each person. One person might never get the games they want to buy on sale and the free games might not interest them. Another person might download every free game and love every sale.

#17 ThisGuy, Apr 30, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
    StrawHats likes this.
  18. Shi

Shi The Aspirer

@ThisGuy
    I could probably lighten up, sure. It's why I said I'm not sure if you were being sarcastic or not, but I really don't like being a part of a joke that somewhat devalues what I have to say.

I know it's stupid, but I've been in a situation where anything helpful I had to say was dismissed because people believed I was associated with one group or another. It bothers me a ton and honestly, at the end of the day, I should care less.

The irony of it all is I was an Xbox guy who switched over to PlayStation.
    All the PlayStation people I know who switched to Xbox won't take any of my advice seriously because, and I quote, "You're Pro-Microsoft".

--

Also, just an FYI:
    You don't always need PS Plus for online play and it depends on the game. Do research on that before you buy into it if that's your only reason to get it.

Games like Call of Duty, Destiny, The Division and Street Fighter V need PS Plus.
    Games like Rocket League and No Man's Sky doesn't.