Sci-Fi Post Apocalyptic Graphic Novels/Manga.

Discussion in 'Books, Comics & Graphic Novels' started by Oh Snape, Jul 18, 2017.

1. Oh Snape

Oh Snape House Bantsratheon
    Staff Advisory

So I just read Sweet Tooth, basically Bambi meets Mad Max. Its badass, super bleak but still has moments of beauty and hope. Yeah its one of those ones.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6954438-sweet-tooth-volume-1?from_search=true

I thought it was still running so the ending at volume 5 was super abrupt to say the least lol. It did this re-cappy thing and summerised other loose ends which I hated initially but was a good call in the end. Don't think I wanted too much detail to some of the revelations. Anyway, solid 4/5 for me.

So yeah, anyone else like this stuff and what are faves/have on your to read list? I want something steam punky.

2. Narilka

Narilka Destroyer of Worlds
    Staff Member Moderator Platinum Founder

A coworker has been at me to read Lady Mechanika for awhile now. It is about a woman who is half human half mechanical something and she is trying to learn more about her past. I am almost to the point of giving in and reading it but I have a couple things I want to finish reading first. But it is in my list, worth a shot at least, the pics I have seen look well drawn.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/9898016-lady-mechanika-1

3. OctalKey

OctalKey The meaning of Life, is that it ends.
    Gold Founder

Oh there was this one manga I was reading about the world having been destroyed by enormous plants and the survivors have to fend off against these predatory plant species. It was like Attack on titan but the Titans are plants and there are no walls, just a destroyed city. I'll try to get the name of it.

4. Kuze

Kuze 『WANTED』
    Contributor

Is that manga Green Worldz?

OctalKey likes this.
  5. OctalKey

OctalKey The meaning of Life, is that it ends.
    Gold Founder

Should be that! Sounds very familiar. Thanks for showing interest :)

Kuze likes this.
  6. Tonto-banchou

Tonto-banchou "Well-Known" Member
    Editor Contributor Social Media Team

First graphic novels that come to mind for me are Y: the Last Man and Tank Girl. The second one is less post-apocalyptic and more alternate universe, but it's got a real Mad Max feel to it. (If Mad Max were high all the time, that is.) Transmetropolitan's also a good one and one of my all-time favorites, but it's more cyberpunk than post-apocalyptic.

7. Oh Snape

Oh Snape House Bantsratheon
    Staff Advisory

Man Green Worldz sounds like he manga to Day Of The Triffids, one of my all time fave sci-fi anything. Theres this super creepy and cheesy 70's(?) brit tv series. Ima gonna check if youtube is gonna come through for me again. But I can't rec 'Day Of The Traffids' highly enough.

@Narilka - I'll add that to list. Doesn't grab br by the gonads like other titles but it has steller reviews from everyone.

@Tonto - Y The Last man has been on my list for years now. I really should start it lol. I've read the others and loved them. Maybe finish Tank Girl, so cool and you can see its influence in everything from comic movies to bands like the Gorillaz. That live action movie though.....

8. Tonto-banchou

Tonto-banchou "Well-Known" Member
    Editor Contributor Social Media Team

I haven't seen the Tank Girl movie yet, but I kind of want to. Makes me feel like I'm missing out on something big if I pass on something that ugly.