Fantasy Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu

Discussion in 'New In Japan' started by Sora Senpai, May 23, 2016.

1. Sora Senpai

Sora Senpai The Ecchi King
    Contributor Gold Founder

[​IMG]
    Synopsis
    Suddenly, high school student Subaru Natsuki has been summoned to another world on the way back from the convenience store. With the biggest crisis of his life being summoned to another world, and with no sign of the one who summoned him, things become even worse when he is attacked. But when he is saved by a mysterious, silver-haired girl with a fairy cat, Subaru attempts to return the favor by helping her track down something that was stolen from her. When they finally manage to get a clue, Subaru and the girl are attacked and killed by someone. Subaru then awakens in the place he was summoned and notices he gained the ability "Returns by Death" and has become a helpless boy that only has the ability to rewind time to a certain point by dying. Beyond the despair, can he save the girl from the fate of death?

2. Kerberos

Kerberos genki moe blob
    Staff Member Moderator

First four eps were awesome but the current arc is just not doing much for me. Still a good show though.

3. Shanigami

Shanigami Actually a Ghost
    Gold Founder

Love this show.
    I agree that it hasn't been as exciting action-wise in this second arc, but I have enjoyed watching as subaru gets increasingly frantic, especially this most recent episode.

I miss felt though, she needs to come back. Come to think of it, we never found out what happened to her.

4. JoJo

JoJo Well-Known Member
    Gold Founder

I'm 5 episodes in, and I'm going to wait till I can at least watch another 5 in a row. Cause I picked this one up from the get go, and it killed me to wait a week after every ending.

I rank this one as one of the better shows this season

5. Kerberos

Kerberos genki moe blob
    Staff Member Moderator

Just watched the latest episode. Again very meh. I wish they would just end this arc and get back to the cast and action of the first arc. The only character this arc I somewhat like is the librarian chick. Other than that I couldn't care less about any of them. And like I said the show just doesn't work for me without the action.

One moment I did really like though
    [​IMG] upload_2016-5-26_19-28-38.png

#5 Kerberos, May 26, 2016
    Last edited: May 26, 2016
  6. B_Raiden_

B_Raiden_ Your local neighbourhood fedora flipping weeaboo

Doesnt look too bad might give it a go

7. Alca

Alca Composer
    Bronze Founder

Probably the best anime of the season in my opinion. I'm honestly loving the current arc, though perhaps not everyone shares the same sentiment. When you actually break this anime down and look at the psychological aspects in detail you really start to appreciate how emotionally complex it is. I feel like there's not enough anime out there which actually seriously considers the main character's psyche. Not to give away too many spoilers, but the most tense part of the show for me has been watching the gradual shift in Subaru's mental state. Also the opening to episode 7 is without a doubt one of the most haunting things I've watched in recent memory.

8. Kerberos

Kerberos genki moe blob
    Staff Member Moderator

See this is where my issues with the show lie (which is entirely my problem btw) I'm not emotionally invested in this show at all. Subaru is a cool character and I like him but he doesn't feel like an actual human being to me. By comparisson the characters in Kiznaiver started out as clichés (this was intentional) but have since become actual human beings that I can relate to and emphasize with. Even moreso I deeply care for almost all of the character in Kabaneri because to me they feel like people I could meet in real life and people I can relate to and understand. I can imagine them just getting up and having breakfast, just having random smalltalk before going about their day. We learn about their hopes and dreams and I can;t help but root for them because I really want them to succeed in their goals and find happiness/ I don't have that at all with Re-Zero. I watch it for the self aware comedy and to find out in what creative way Subaru will meet his end yhis time but otherwise I'm fairly unengaged. There's just something about the characters that makes me not able to connect with them in any meaningful way.

9. Alca

Alca Composer
    Bronze Founder

Well I can't speak for the other characters, but as for Subaru, keep in mind that he begins the anime as a completely secluded hikikomori. As far as his hopes and dreams go, it's not surprising that he doesn't really have any lofty goals or ambitions. I think there has been some significant character development too when you compare the happy-go-lucky guy he was at the start to how he is now. While I kind of agree that he's a difficult character to relate to, I don't think he's entirely lacking in depth. E.g.
    the way we see his facade break down in episode 8 as he literally makes himself sick by forcing himself to carry on as if nothing happened.
    I think he's still a realistic character to a degree. He's not like Ikoma who has a relatively steel resolve, and the way he's psychologically impacted by every event seems to be very human. Your argument isn't unfounded or anything though, you raise good points, but this one might just be down to interpretation. Subaru might just not click with you, it depends on the person watching. Personally I do find him to be relatable on some level though.

10. Lost Time Memory

This week's episode was interesting to say the least. It still wasn't as good as last week's episode because of the lap pillow scene, 'nuff said. Arc 2 should be over in a week or two, so things are going to spice up a bit once we enter Arc 3.

11. Shanigami

Shanigami Actually a Ghost
    Gold Founder

Ah, finally making some progress. That fight scene was pretty cool, although I was kind of hoping Subaru would do something cool with his magic, although he still might next ep. Rem was pretty cool too. I knew the story about the two oni fit them, but I didn't know it fit them that well!

Looking forward to next ep.

12. Kerberos

Kerberos genki moe blob
    Staff Member Moderator

Holy shit this episode was awesome!!!

Great comedy in the first half and badass violent action in the second. This episode reminded me of why I liked this show so much at the beginning. Also I'm starting to slowly warm towards Rem.

She was boring when she was just a little maid with a bit of a temper but now that's an actuall full on demon? She could become a very interesting character.

Little dissapointed by the ending though

I mean he solved the mystery and nobody died. They could've ended the arc very easily. It feel like their gonna try and drag this arc out to the end of the season

But besides that, really sollid episode. More of this please.

#12 Kerberos, May 31, 2016
    Last edited: May 31, 2016
  13. Yabvi

Yabvi Newbie

This show is definitely my favorite of this season. I love Subaru's character, his cheerful facade which masks the deep fucked up hidden behind him is tragic.

One of the hardest scenes for me to watch was the suicide scene. Where he's sitting on the edge of this cliff face attempting to commit suicide but his body and gut is telling him not to, while he knows that he has to do it, even if it's a horrible and painful experience he has to do it. This anime does well at showing isolation, even though Subaru is surrounded by all these people he's very much isolated, he can't tell anyone about his Revival By Death.

Concerning his realism that has been talked about, he's been very realistic to me. He starts out as just a simple shut-in whose transported to one of his fantasy realms, and he just starts going all crazy. We see his realism come through when he starts crying in Emilia's lap because he's so tired, he's been keeping up this cheerful attitude when he knows when he could die at any moment, that just showed more of his character.

14. Hikari-chan

Hikari-chan Unofficial Sakuga City Derp :3
    Platinum Founder

I really like the show but I am not sure how I feel about some of the new characters namely the maid sisters. I do like the overall premise of the show a lot. It reminds me a bit of Erased (Boku dake ga Inai Machi). I like Subaru's character and the weird poses he strikes randomly lol. I agree with Yabvi...he certainly masks a lot with his cheerfulness. Looking forward to seeing more character progression over time!

15. Sora Senpai

Contributor Gold Founder

Easily the best anime of the season. Some shows have gone into a downward spiral (Mayoiga) while others started off at the bottom and slowly became better (Haifuri, Anne Happy, Sansha Sanyou) But ReZero constantly stayed great throughout the season. The fact that this anime is getting 26 as well is even better.

16. Alca

Alca Composer
    Bronze Founder

This is partly why I like Re:Zero so much. There's so many shows out there where characters get transported to other worlds or get thrown into messed up situations, yet there's no lasting psychological consequences. Re:Zero is basically saying "Now look. This is what actually happens when you force so much onto an ordinary kid." Watching Subaru slowly breakdown throughout the series has been horrific yet fascinating.

Anyway, latest episode was amazing. Really loving how the action has been handled recently. This series has so many cliffhangers though. Also I just need to mention that the ED theme is probably the best of the entire season in my opinion.

17. Kerberos

Kerberos genki moe blob
    Staff Member Moderator

Another sollid episode. The show is now really picking up after some of the more problematic episodes earlier this arc. That being said I am a bit annoyed that they are indeed going to drag out this arc to the end of the first half. Personally Id prefer it if they jut got on with it seeing as this ac has never been all that great from the start.

Plus I just want Felt, Elsa and Reinhardt back. They were awesome.

18. Sora Senpai

Contributor Gold Founder

Easily the best anime of the season. Which is saying something because this is a really good season for anime. Those Rem and Subaru moments were adorable.

Also Subaru doing THE THING!!!!! AWESOME!

19. Kerberos

Kerberos genki moe blob
    Staff Member Moderator

Ugh!

I don't know why but this episode did nothing for me. I am so not sold on the characters or the drama. The action is still cool but it's not enough to hold my attention and I noticed I was constantly zoning out thinking of more interesting things.

On the other hand we did finally get the first glimpses of a larger storyline so that's good. If that gets interesting I might stick around but so far I'm not impressed. The last two episodes were sollid. Mostly because they amped up the action. But two sollid episodes in an eight episode arc is not a lot. Still though I could get back into this show. If only they would just ditch this weak as hell cast and go back to the cast of the first arc. It feels like they're taking forever with this arc and it's boring me to tears. Idk maybe it'll get better but right now this show is very close to ending on the dropped pile.

20. Sora Senpai

Contributor Gold Founder

Idk how it's a weak cast, when Ren, Ram, and Beatrice are far more developed then those three you mentioned. Felt was a good theif but basically useless when it came to fighting and Reinhart was a great Warrior, but any other info on either of them is non-existant. Elsa was awesome there's no denying that, but you have no idea what ties she has with the person who wanted Emilias crest.

This arc was extremely important because of the devlopment of not only The Demon sisters, but Subaru maintaining a relationship with them, using Dark Magic, and us the viewers learning more and more about the Jealous Witch, and the Dragons.

Imo this Arc was way better then the first.