Fantasy Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu

Discussion in 'New In Japan' started by Sora Senpai, May 23, 2016.

1. Kakuri

Kakuri The Disappointment
    Gold Founder

I only started checking out this anime recently, but within 2 days I'd already watched all 11 episodes so far. I absolutely love it. Probably my favourite anime of this season, and I'm really happy that it'll be continuing to 25 or so episodes.

The cast is awesome. I'm still not too sold on Emilia, but she's growing on me (She's mainly been on the sidelines for the most recent arc), but I'm really growing to like the maid sisters and Subaru himself. I particularly like how his mental state is changing over the episodes. You can tell that it's actually a struggle to go through that kind of thing, which is great.

I agree with this. Yeah, the first arc had a cool fight scene in it, but I think the character development in this one is so much better. There are so many touching/powerful scenes that I really wasn't expecting from this show and it seems they're setting things up to start heading towards the main goal, which is exciting.

By the way, am I the only one around here who really likes that they skip the OP and ED sometimes? This show seems to know very well when it's a good time to show the OP and when to just skip it and keep the show moving, which I find really good.

Rem best girl.

2. Sora Senpai

Sora Senpai The Ecchi King
    Contributor Gold Founder

This anime ceases to amaze me. I'm not a fan of the Blonde lady but apparently people love her...and also

FELT IS A PRINCESS!!!! WTF

3. Kerberos

Kerberos genki moe blob
    Staff Member Moderator

Well this episode was fairly decent. Literally nothing happened but I like the new characters so that's a big plus.

4. Kakuri

Kakuri The Disappointment
    Gold Founder

Yup, I've loved pretty much every episode of this show so far. This new arc looks like it's gonna be really good too. This or Kiznaiver will be my favourite of the spring season for sure.

5. Sora Senpai

Contributor Gold Founder

This episode hurt my heart.
    "He's not my attendant."
    DAMMIT EMILIA!!!

Yo I hate Priscilla, idk why people are so in love with her, she is a
    bitch!

6. JoJo

JoJo Well-Known Member
    Gold Founder

I just watched episode 9, cause after the fantastic start, the latest episodes were Meh. And I knew this show would continue to run through summer, I decided to wait it out a bit. Now it's starting to look somewhat brighter again, am I right? From episode 10 and onward we are going to makea lot of progress, at least that's what a friend of mine told me...

7. Shanigami

Shanigami Actually a Ghost
    Gold Founder

Ep 14. I have only 1 thing to say.
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Subaru better kill himself. I won't stand for
    Best girl Rem dying

Something else I noticed,
    Those weird hooded dudes didn't attack Subaru. To me that means they either have something to do with the witch, or one of the other two candidates who might not want Subaru to die (not including Felt since I doubt she has an army of shady hooded dudes at her disposal). Although I guess it could just be that they already completed their mission and didn't see any point in killing Subaru when they found him, but that would be kind of lame.

8. Sparkling Forklift

Sparkling Forklift i wish i was clever so i could put something here
    Gold Founder

So I picked this show back up after stopping around episode 6 for whatever reason. Damn I really regret stopping because the show got even better after that point. Especially episode 13, wow 13 was amazing.
    I am so glad the show started to criticize Subaru's flawed personality. I knew it was coming, but I didn't know it'd hit so hard. Not only are the consequences just looking like an idiot in front of a bunch of people, he also loses the person closest to him, Emilia. Seriously when she said, "The version of me that lives within you must be amazing" I literally had my mouth open. That had to be pretty hurtful. I knew the show would penalize Subaru's forceful personality, but I did not expect it to criticize the way he puts Emilia on a pedestal. That was incredibly well done, especially since that moment developed Emilia as well. She's not just some perfect girl, she has emotions and goals of her own. Now if only the same would go for Rem, she seems to be neglected right now. She's just kinda turned into some waifu character.
    Episode 14 was great as well.
    Instead of Subaru moping around, I was surprised to see he kept his strong-headed forceful personality. It's not a bad thing though, as when the MC is feeling down in most shows, he just kinda mopes and then gets a powerup boost when he hears an inspiring speech. But Subaru keeps going on, and tries to use the flaw that caused him to lose Emilia to get her back. I can see this going wonderfully.

Still nothing for Rem though. It was neat to see her realize Subaru will fuck everything up, but she's kinda just there. Well not anymore I guess, but I'm sure we'll get to go back to the good ol' days of Subaru getting brutally murdered to fix everything. Because he always fixes everything, right?
    Seriously though, I'm super excited for future episodes. Especially since the show seems to have finally shown its true nature. I can now totally see the author project his hate of otaku culture into the series, just like LN readers were saying.

9. Shanigami

Gold Founder

Episode 15: Holy Shit.

I don't even know where to start.
    -Subaru gets captured by witch cultists. I guess I was right in my last post about those guys serving the witch or whatever, although that still doesn't explain why they didn't capture Subaru the first time. Probably just because last time they had already accomplished their mission, which probably had something to do with Emilia (whether it's just killing her or what, Idk).

- Rem comes to save Subaru and gets killed by Betelgeuse(sp?), which was pretty messed up. But is actually alive after everyone leaves (thanks to her demon powers no doubt) and is able to save Subaru and confess to him before dying. TRY AND SAY SHE'S JUST SOME WAIFU CHARACTER NOW @Sparkling Forklift :p

-Also, I'm thinking that that giant cat at the end that killed Subaru was Puck, which would mean that both of the times Subaru died this episode were from Puck. Not sure that really means anything yet, but I was surprised because I didn't realize it right away.

-Like the title of the episode "Outside of Madness", the very end scene of this episode makes it seem like Subaru hasn't actually recovered from his mindbreak that happened earlier, but instead has moved beyond it into something darker, with him focusing on Betelgeuse (and probably wanting to kill him) and saying his name over and over, which starkly contrasts his earlier state where Rem mentioned that he kept repeating Emilia's, Ram's and her own name. I'm very interesting to see what this new crazy Subaru will do.

-Another thing, Betelgeuse was obviously using magic of some kind, but it didn't seem to correspond with any of the elements that Emilia talked to Subaru about. Except for the Darkness element, which Subaru has. So either there are different types of magic than what Emilia talked about, or he's the same type as Subaru. I'm hoping the latter is the case, because that means Subaru would be able to learn magic like that to fight with (and he actually might considering the state he's in).

Idk about anyone else, but I feel like my mind is broken after watching that episode, and I was interested in what you guys thought about it. It's gonna be a loooong week till the next ep.

Sparkling Forklift likes this.
  10. Sparkling Forklift

Sparkling Forklift i wish i was clever so i could put something here
    Gold Founder

Yeesh, this episode was pretty crazy! Not quite where I expected it to go.
    Haha, yeah she definitely got some more development this episode, which was great to see. Glad it seems she won't be forgotten about.
    It's definitely Puck. You can see that there's an earring on the giant cat's ear, which is what Puck wears.

11. Shanigami

Gold Founder

About Puck, I heard from someone that in the LN he says
    that if Emilia ever died, he would freeze the whole world.
    Which helps explain what was actually going on. I guess you can figure it out without that, but I really wish they would have included that line in the anime.

12. Shikinami_

Shikinami_ Lean, Green, Meme Machine
    Gold Founder

Episode 15 Spoilers.....
    sorry, not sorry
    [​IMG]

Shanigami and Sparkling Forklift like this.
  13. Saturna

Saturna Active Member
    Gold Founder

Aw man, I can't wait for Sunday! Apparently this last episode was simply the tip of the iceberg in terms of Subaru's suffering. I read that some of the light novel readers ended up dropping the series because of how bad it gets.

14. Sora Senpai

Contributor Gold Founder

Man I thought episode 16 would be a more chill episode...I was wrong lol.

Those candidates are garbage but I can understand why they won't really assist Subaru.

I also do not know Subarus intentions either. Does he really want to save Emilia or does he really just want revenge?

But oh god
    THE WHITE WHALE ENTERS OH SNAPPPPPP

15. Shanigami

Gold Founder

At this point I think it's just revenge. After what Betelgeuse did in 15 it seems like Subaru just broke, and now just hates him to the point that he can't think rationally anymore, which is sort of proven by how he forgot about the thing at the end of this episode. Maybe he'll calm down a little and use some of the stuff he learned this episode (which was a bunch of good stuff, I'll list it in a spoiler below) after his next reset.

Stuff Subaru Learned this ep(16):
    Stock Market is in flux. (with all that money they have, he could take advantage of it and buy his own private army or something)
    Crusch is buying up lots of iron/weapons and meets with the main government trader guy
    Anastasia is interested in Crusch's meeting with that guy
    Anastasia has her own private army
    Al is a bro
    The giant flying whale exists, and it's pretty spooky

16. Shanigami

Gold Founder

ok, so I only really have 3 things to comment on for episode 17.

1. The White Whale
    it seems like it can completely erase people from existence. Not just from memories, but erase any physical traces that they ever existed. I don't t really get how that can possibly work, must be some super-high level magic or something.

2. Betty
    The stuff she said and way she acted kind of confused me. It felt like it was kind of out of nowhere, and I'm trying to understand what's going on with her

3. A theory I have based off the ending
    This is the big thing. My theory is that Subaru also has unseen hands, like Betelgeuse, and there were a few different things that made me think that this episode.

-Subaru was able to see Betelgeuse's hands, when no one else was. Although, that could just be because of the witch's power (after all, it trumps the white whale's existence erasing power apparently), but that doesn't explain why he wasn't able to see them the first time, when Betelgeuse made Rem play twister.

-Emilia was seemingly killed by unseen hands when Subaru was trying to tell her about his powers, and no one else was around (as far as we could tell).

-When Betelgeuse first approached Subaru he called him a "believer in love", and a little later when he was freaking out about Subaru being able to see his hands, he referred to the hands as something "love granted to [him]". It's hard to tell if this is a subtle hint, or just him being crazy. In addition, he referred to his hands as "The authority of Sloth", meaning maybe all of the other Sins have them as well, and he was saying something about Subaru being Pride when they first met in episode 15. But that might not be anything either.

-Subaru has been getting told/saying a lot that he's weak and all he can do is run, so that could be a hint he's about to get some powers

Obviously none of this is very concrete, so I could be totally wrong, but that's just what I've been thinking.

Oh yeah, one more thing:
    [​IMG]
    Poor Suffaru

17. Shikinami_

Shikinami_ Lean, Green, Meme Machine
    Gold Founder

Episode 17 Spoilers....
    So like, I'm really confused about this picture, why are people drawing or editing pictures of Ram with blue hair?

[​IMG]

18. Shanigami

Gold Founder

oh god, it hasn't even been a week yet and that joke already annoying.

19. Kuze

Kuze Heaven's not enough
    Contributor

Ahem...let's just say I have my sources.

Even though I'm not following Re:Zero I make it a point to check out all the OPs/EDs of the current season and this ending is beautiful.

20. Sora Senpai

Contributor Gold Founder

Great ending, fantastic animation. 100/10 rating.

Shanigami likes this.