Recommend me Yakuza/Delinquent Manga

Discussion in 'Manga' started by 4xdblack, Sep 27, 2016.

1. 4xdblack

4xdblack Accomplished Booty-Cop
    Silver Founder Plus

I've read some manga like Crows, Gang King. Watched shows like Black Lagoon, Jormugund, and Gangsta...

I want to find some more manga that revolve around criminal activities, like Yakuza, gangs, or delinquents.

Oh Snape likes this.
  2. Kuze

Kuze Heaven's not enough
    Contributor

Ichi The Killer.

You can kill me later.

Kerberos likes this.
  3. Matemar

Matemar Corvus

Check out Worst. I think it's actually a sequel to Crows.

Oh Snape, Tonto-banchou and 4xdblack like this.
  4. 4xdblack

Silver Founder Plus

I did actually.. Wasn't too impressed tbh.. Didn't go that far into it though..

How many characters from Crows make a reappearance? And do you know what the timeline is like?

5. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

It's not exactly what you want but what about cowboy bepop? It started as a manga didn't it? It's a great crime/detective series that's worth watching.

6. Kerberos

Kerberos genki moe blob
    Staff Member Moderator

Well for starters you could read the Gangsta manga which continues far beyond the point the anime left off and is a really solid manga. (better than the anime imo)

Second recommendation is a blind one though as I haven't read it myself yet but Nanbaka looks pretty fun and it is about delinquents.
    http://www.crunchyroll.com/comics/manga/nanbaka/volumes

4xdblack likes this.
  7. Interest1ng

Interest1ng SC's AmbASSador.... MAWP!!!

Sun-Ken-Rock is a Korean Manwha that follows gangsters and yakuza and is really top notch with the art.

Tonto-banchou and 4xdblack like this.
  8. Matemar

Matemar Corvus

Not really... I actually just started reading it and I haven't gotten really far into the manga. There are other manga that interest me more at the moment.

9. Tonto-banchou

Tonto-banchou "Well-Known" Member
    Editor Contributor Social Media Team

Manga Series:
    Holyland - A former school outcast seeks out his own special place - aka, his Holyland - and attempts to form one with his own fists when he finds that he can't fit in anywhere else. Recommended for its varied cast of characters, plus a good show of various martial arts and their practicality in street fights, like judo, wrestling, and boxing.

Shamo - More martial arts story than delinquent manga, but it has some strains of illegal, gangster activity going on at the same time. Recommended, because it's one of my all-time favorite series. It's got incredible art, a charismatic (but completely unsympathetic) protagonist, and a simple story that stopped giving all kinds of fucks. Kind of sputtered towards the end, but I think the ending was a good enough one anyway.

Rookies - A former high school baseball team turns into a no-good bunch of high school delinquents, after they start a brawl at a game. A new teacher comes in, takes over the team, and tries to turn them back into the scruffy baseball team they used to be. Recommended for its well-developed characters and well-drawn baseball matches. The teacher's a sort-of Marty Stu, but it's very touching when it wants to be. Also has a live-action Japanese series made for TV, although I'm not sure if it's just as good as the manga.

Rokudenashi Blues -
    A top high school delinquent works towards his dream of being a boxer. His two buddies come along for some shenanigans and they make a whole bunch of new friends in the process. Done by the same author of Rookies. Recommended for its fun slice-of-life feel.

QP - From the same mangaka of Crows and Worst. It's a darker take on the thugs in the same universe (Hiromi and Bandou from Crows make a cameo), where a former king of delinquents goes back to the town he once ruled. He's sworn off the fighting life completely, but his old friend's with the yakuza and is actively trying to get him to join their outfit. Recommended for its more mature take on the genre.

Clover - A typical story of three friends who spend the rest of the series making new friends, it's the spiritual successor to the Crow and Worst series, but from a different mangaka. Recommended for its characters (again) and its heartfelt story.

Anime:
    Durarara!!! - I'm in love with the anime and now that I've finished the x2 series, it's definitely become one of my higher-ranked anime shows. The show of gang politics is pretty twisted and messed-up, but all the plot threads get untangled neatly in the end. Main selling point of the series is its wide, varied cast of characters, and watching them interact with each other in messy misunderstandings. Recommended, because at the heart of it is a heartfelt love letter to any urban city out there, as well as the value of having friends to rely on. Also has some good life lessons on how being ordinary and normal is okay - good stuff to hear for kids who want to grow up to be their favorite shonen heroes.

I'm weird, 'cause I like Worst better than Crows. Of course Bouya is a much more charismatic lead than Hana and less of a Marty Stu, but I love Worst's side characters more.

First part of Worst starts when Zetton's batch from Crows is in their graduating year. So, while Bouya or Rindaman don't show up, Zetton and the others do for a good part of the story. Other bosses from other schools are also here, like Housen's King Joe and the Kurotaki Alliance's Ammo.

Oh Snape and 4xdblack like this.
  10. Oh Snape

Oh Snape House Bantsratheon
    Staff Member Moderator

Shamo was a cracking read, might check that again. Also there was a pretty cool live action version that got me into the manga as well.

Tonto-banchou likes this.
  11. Rat

Rat Rodent scum

worst is set like 2 - 3 years after crows ended and some characters reappear, also heres my list

kyou kara ore wa
    angel densetsu
    great teacher onizuka
    ocha nigosu
    greatest outcast
    Clover (TETSUHIRO Hirakawa)
    a-bout
    holyland (realistic seinen one, highly recommend)

Tonto-banchou and Oh Snape like this.
  12. Xenon

Xenon Back from the dead... To fu*k with your head

Kyou kara ore wa - tried watching anime of that but didn't make it to the end. Starts being a little to repetitive and predictable even for my taste. First 3 or 4 episodes were downright fantastic though.
    Angel Densetsu - Also kind of repetitive and predictable but for whatever reason all 15 volumes flew past by me in a couple of sittings. Lighthearted and really enjoyable stuff.

13. 4xdblack

Silver Founder Plus

I just finished binge reading that. Worst ending ever.

14. Tonto-banchou

Tonto-banchou "Well-Known" Member
    Editor Contributor Social Media Team

Eh, I've seen worse endings to series. But Shamo's was obviously rushed and I felt it could have done much, much more for the characters. The final antagonists didn't help, either. I thought they didn't deserve to be Ryo's ultimate opponents, as they seemed more filler material than guys to be taken seriously.

4xdblack likes this.
  15. 4xdblack

Silver Founder Plus

I'm a writer, I can appreciate almost any form of ending, but there has to be some form of satisfaction. That ending had less than zero satisfaction for me Don't get the wrong, the rest of the series was great. But that ending though.. I feel betrayed lol.

16. 4xdblack

Silver Founder Plus

Just finished this... Took me 2 and a half days to read all 171 chapters... Great recommendation. Loved the series. Wish there was more. My only complaint is that the ending was super vague. I could tell that the author was trying to give the readers some closure, but idk if it was lost in translation or what... but it was very confusing.

Overall though, the series had that battle shonen training for power protect the people theme throughout, but it was in the style of a seinen, which I really enjoyed. The beginning had some seriously brutal elements to it, along with some great comedy and endearing characters. I really enjoyed the art and the story. But most of all, Sun-ken Rock was seriously badass. Like probably the most badass thing I've ever witnessed. Anyways, great series. Definitely one of the best ones recommended on this thread. Thanks for the rec!

Interest1ng likes this.
  17. Interest1ng

Interest1ng SC's AmbASSador.... MAWP!!!

So if you want more just search Boichi he is the Manwha artist. Also there is a spin-off to the series called Wall-Man which ties into the last couple of chapters of Sun-Ken-Rock at least the characters do. So I would give that a looksie also.

18. 4xdblack

Silver Founder Plus

already am lol

Interest1ng likes this.
  19. 4xdblack

Silver Founder Plus

Just finished this one. Think it took me about 5 days to finish reading it all...

Really great manga. This one hit exactly the right spot I was looking for in this thread. You did a good job recommending it to me, it's exactly what I was looking for. A really badass manga that had a lot of realism and a serious story. I love how realistic the author tried to make the fighting and martial arts in the manga. 10/10 easy.

Though now for some reason I really want to learn a martial art...

If you got any others like this one, make sure you tell me :D

20. Kuze

Kuze Heaven's not enough
    Contributor

@4xdblack

You might wanna bookmark Tokyo Revengers (read here) if you're still looking for delinquent-esque manga.

Tokyo Revengers sounds like a combination of ReLife, Erased and Worst.

You'll prolly have to wait six months or more for a first scan but this is something for the future.

4xdblack likes this.