RPG Resident Evil Films' Director Paul W.S. Anderson Drafts Monster Hunter Hollywood Film

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Kuze, Nov 22, 2016.

1. Kuze

Kuze 『WANTED』
    Contributor

[​IMG]

Entertainment news source Deadline has reported that live-action Resident Evil film series director Paul W.S. Anderson and his Impact Pictures producing partner Jeremy Bolt are working on the Hollywood live-action film adaptation of CAPCOM's Monster Hunter action game franchise.​

Impact Pictures describes the film:

For every Monster, there is a Hero. An ordinary man in a dead end job discovers that he is actually the descendant of an ancient hero. He must travel to a mystical world to train to become a Monster Hunter, before the mythical creatures from that world destroy ours.

Anderson has written a draft for the film's script, and Impact Pictures plans to partner with Dennis Berardi, president of visual effects company Mr. X. Bolt states that the film's budget will be in the similar "$50 million net" as the final Resident Evil film, and adds that the pair have the concept for "about two movies." The story will have an ordinary person traveling to the Monster Hunter world before coming back to the real world to fight an "epic battle in and around LAX."

Anderson states that he sees the film and the game's world as an "opportunity to have a cinematic universe."

Further read
    : here

Source
    : here

#1 Kuze, Nov 22, 2016
    Last edited: May 13, 2018
  2. Dunn x Dolo

Dunn x Dolo King of the Chatroom
    Silver Founder

I was just talking about this on the Monster Hunter Boards on Gamefaqs. LOL

General consensus is that this movie is going to be terrible. I agree completely. I already don't like how hes trying to make real world ties to a game that has nothing to do with the real world. The game itself has enough lore and background to make a story of its own using any of the villages and the monsters that come with it. Sigh....what you wont do for money Capcom.

3. ThisGuy

ThisGuy Kin of the Cosmos
    Platinum Founder

Yeah I don't understand the ties to the real world, seems like they are only limiting themselves rather than anchoring themselves in the rich MonHun world.

This idea made me think of that one movie with the dragons though... Reign of Fire, that one had an OK movie tie-in game on the PS2.

4. Novaire

Novaire Serial Editor
    Editor Contributor Gold Founder

Paul has directed a few good pictures, the first Mortal Kombat is great fun, and the general consensus of Event Horizon is very positive, it's just a shame they've been overshadowed by... Well, pretty much everything he's done since the late 90s. Technically, he's got one of the best video-game film adaptations under his belt, so maybe he can work some of that magic again. That said, Mortal Kombat was fairly accurate to the source material, and deviating from the source hasn't worked out in his favor for these films. It feels like having him on the writing teams has been largely a mistake.

5. Shi

Shi The Aspirer
    Staff Member Administrator Platinum Founder

The funny thing is, everyone thinks that this movie is going to be bad and everyone is going to actually pay money to watch it anyways.

Why?
    Because it's going to be so bad that it's good.

That's pretty much the entire Resident Evil movie franchise.
    And you know what's the crazy thing about it is? The guy managed to rake in over a billion dollars on it.
    At this point, he's pretty much Discount Michael Bay.

We know what the movie is going to be like, but we're going to be paying for it in droves.

6. Kuze

Kuze 『WANTED』
    Contributor

The live-action film adaptation will feature Milla Jovovich (Resident Evil movie franchise). The film is budgeted at around US$60 million, and will shoot in and around Cape Town in South Africa. The film will start production in September.

7. ReymousFumes

ReymousFumes Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Nerd
    Contributor

The first sign of trouble is always "I want to use this as an opportunity for a cinematic universe". Oh boy.

Yeah, Anderson, many people better than you have tried and failed because their focus was on creating a cinematic universe instead of, you know, telling a good story.

8. Oh Snape

Oh Snape House Bantsratheon
    Staff Advisory

Event Horizon would've been a cracking sci fi horror if they went with the original ending. Ironically, the test audience decided they wanted a generic, uninspired wet fart instead and Paul 'Wanker' Anderson has been catering admirably to them since.

That prolly isn't irony. Anyway, both the director and anyone who watches this can eat dick.

9. Shi

Shi The Aspirer

He made a Resident Evil cinematic universe. I think he'll do fine.

At lease he's not Uwe Boll.

10. ReymousFumes

Contributor

Not exactly the best example, considering how they're hollow action flicks.

11. Novaire

Novaire Serial Editor
    Editor Contributor Gold Founder

Paul directed the original Mortal Kombat movie, which is both pretty damn good and almost completely faithful to the source material.

The dude also directed the Resident Evil films, which as a franchise ranges from decent to tolerably bad, and has little to do with the source material, especially if you move beyond character names.

The thing about Monster Hunter is that it basically has no source material so far as a story is concerned. Even if this was the perfect adaptation of the material it's based on, he'd still be boned for plot points - there's just nothing to adapt. This was destined to be terrible in that sense from the moment it was greenlit. There are Capcom franchises I think he could much better with, namely stuff that isn't afraid to be a little bit dumb - Dead Rising, Dino Crisis, Devil May Cry - instead, they've given him what is effectively a blank canvas and people expect him to paint a fresco worthy of the Sistine Chapel. It just doesn't add up.

ReymousFumes likes this.
  12. Shi

Shi The Aspirer

https://www.the-numbers.com/movies/franchise/Resident-Evil#tab=summary
    A billion dollars.

As a budget/discount Cinematic Universe, they did good. You don't have to be a masterpiece to sell well. It just has to entertain. Whether you liked it or not, someone else did.

And lets be real. The DCEU is hollow as hollow can get. They sold well. So your point isn't exactly a point.

A disaster would be the Dark Universe.

13. ReymousFumes

Contributor

Yeah, at what cost? Because of the critical failure, the likelihood of making sequels becomes harder. Short-term success, long-term failure. Infinity War outsold Justice League and the rest of the DCEU because Marvel did their homework, so what's your point exactly? That quality filmmaking has no grounds at all for financial success? That we should encourage lazy writing and filmmaking? What?

If you want to make an example, you should've brought up those Transformers movies instead. At least they had the chance to show they've lived past critical failure. The DCEU's hanging by a thin thread right now.

And since you did bring up the Dark Universe, you know what I'm talking about anyway, that there have been people who tried their hands at this sort of thing that weren't DC properties and failed on as epic a proportion as the very properties they were trying to milk. Is Monster Hunter as huge a property as Batman and Superman that it would sell as successfully irregardless of whatever BS Paulie can pull outta his ass? Or as huge a property as Transformers for that matter? Even Universal monsters were more popular than Monster Hunter, and the Dark Universe fell kasplat anyway, so again, where's your point at exactly?

And let's talk about Transformers for a second just in case you claim that I'm contradicting my own point... Is Paul Anderson as brilliant in special effects as Michael Bay to be able to make that stick? I mean, the only reason Michael was able to get away with whatever he wants was because his special effects were top of the game. Poor design, but great effects. Resident Evil, on the other hand, with its latest outing, had some incredibly shitty editing with its shaky cam BS. Even Transformers might have better cinematography and editing than Resident Evil: Extinction, and that's saying something.

By the way, on a relevant note... did Paul Anderson ever manage to get that Aliens vs. Predator cinematic universe off the ground? Oh right, they hired hacks far less talented than him to make it crash and burn anyway.

#13 ReymousFumes, May 15, 2018
    Last edited: May 15, 2018
  14. Shi

Shi The Aspirer

Honestly, I was trying to be a good sport and I actually deleted a longer post I had that included Fast and Furious along with Transformers. I'm not looking to have an idealogical dispute over something rather stupid.

What I was getting at was that solely on the merits of what Paul Anderson has done with Resident Evil, with each movie returning, on average, $280,000,000: That's pretty good. He has developed a successful CU so I have faith that he can do Monster Hunter.

Just to be clear: I'm not saying Paul is a AAA-tier, A-tier or even B-tier, he is C-tier at best and as a C-tier director with the returns that he has managed, it's obvious why they keep giving him money to keep doing Resident Evil. He has guaranteed a return of financials because no one is expecting a B-tier effort on his part. The movies are just enough to entertain.

Whether Monster Hunter will do good or not is an entirely different story. By my guess, it will be comparable to Max Payne. All he needs to do is match Resident Evil 1 or do significantly better than Max Payne. That's not a hard bar to pass and don't get me wrong, I completely expect Monster Hunter to bomb. All I'm saying is, as a CU, Paul can do it. Whether he can replicate Resident Evil is another thing entirely.

ReymousFumes likes this.
  15. ReymousFumes

Contributor

Yeah, alright, fair point. Sorry if I came off as a little too... ahem, aggressive in my last post. Got carried away. And you're right, it's a stupid dispute.

I guess I'm just a lot more cynical when it comes to these things, and I tend to over-generalize a lot. I hope you would not take my future statements as some objective declaration with clear evidence to back them up; that's usually not the case. I mouth-off a lot. I wasn't really trying to "prove a point" (initially), so your whole "your point isn't really a point" statement bugged me a little (leading to the tirade above), like this is some pissing contest trying to prove who's right.

And besides, what I really meant to express wasn't the possible financial failure for this Monster Hunter CU, but the possible absence of good writing and a good story. When I said "They're hollow action flicks," I didn't mean that such "hollow action flicks" would automatically be box office bombs, I merely meant that I'm annoyed by the existence of such films. And aside from Mortal Kombat, I never really enjoyed Wes Anderson's work, so I was merely expressing annoyance at the idea of him being attached to this "cinematic universe", dismissing it as a bad joke. Sorry if I didn't make this clear enough before.

Anyway, I'm getting off-topic.

Shi likes this.
  16. Shi

Shi The Aspirer

All good man. I get where you're coming from. I just come from a different point of view with a different kind of cynicism that isn't on topic here.

ReymousFumes likes this.