Horror Resident Evil Films' Producer Plans Reboot Film

Discussion in 'Film & Television' started by Kuze, May 22, 2017.

1. Kuze

Kuze 『WANTED』
    Contributor

Martin Moszkowicz, chairman of the board at German film production company Constantin Film, confirmed with entertainment news magazine Variety on Sunday that it is developing a reboot film for the Resident Evil film franchise.

Constantin Film produced all six films in the Paul W.S. Anderson-directed Resident Evil franchise. The first zombie apocalypse film based on CAPCOM's survival horror game series premiered in 2002 with actress Milla Jovovich as protagonist Alice. Resident Evil: The Final Chapter, the "final" live-action film, opened in Japan in December, and in North America in January.

Source: ANN

2. Novaire

Novaire Serial Editor
    Editor Contributor Gold Founder

I hope they go in a completely different direction with these, but seeing as the original film series grossed over one billion dollars, I wouldn't be surprised if that didn't happen.

The live-action intro and opening scene in the original game are better than the entire live-action franchise, and that's a real bummer.

Dunn x Dolo likes this.
  3. Dunn x Dolo

Dunn x Dolo King of the Chatroom
    Silver Founder

The movie franchise as a whole was shit. I enjoyed the first movie only because it sort of stuck with the 1st game.....loosely, but it had a mansion and underground base at least. Every other move after that was just shit.

I hope they follow the game more with the reboots. I would love to see them follow the Remake for the first game with the Crimson Heads and Lisa Trevor story. That's probably never going to happen though.

4. Oh Snape

Oh Snape House Bantsratheon
    Staff Advisory

Rubbish movies. This slop, the underworld garbage and the latter Blade movies pretty much ruined cinema for me in the 00's.

So yeah, hope they reboot it so nerds can continue throwing money at mediocre shit.

5. Kuze

Kuze 『WANTED』
    Contributor

Preposterous!! Underworld is alright.

6. Oh Snape

Oh Snape House Bantsratheon
    Staff Advisory

Yeah for an awkward wank staring at a gif of Kate Beckinsale in tight leather catsuit, sure.

7. Kuze

Kuze 『WANTED』
    Contributor

Anything James Wan should get you excited.

8. Kuze

Kuze 『WANTED』
    Contributor

It's being reported that German film production company Constantin Film has hired Johannes Roberts (47 Meters Down) to direct and write the first reboot film for the Resident Evil film franchise.

9. ReymousFumes

ReymousFumes Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Nerd
    Contributor

Eh, James Wan films are alright. I wasn't too impressed by Insidious, and even The Conjuring's flaws (use of cheap jumpscares) start to look obvious in hindsight.

I wish I could be more enthusiastic by this news, but I just kept thinking about the inevitable cycle these franchise films would go through every two decades or so. Produce five or six films, the final one sucks, reboot. Reboot sucks, reboot again. Rinse and repeat. Just gets me all cynical thinking about it.

So, all those parodies of franchise films hitting "Jaws 27" or "Nightmare on Elm Street 54" didn't come true after all. Rebooting franchises is the future.