Tech retro build help needed graphics and sound win98

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by yoda313, Jun 16, 2018.

1. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

Ok i am trying my hardest to get dos gaming with sound on a amd k62 hp desktop. I have finally installed win 98se on it after failing to get freedos to work with my sblive 220 card. I was able to actually get full throttle and my xwing dos cd to boot! Woohoo! No sound of course.

I've been going back and forth and a cd download that is supposed to be for the live series says soundblaster not found. And i even forced a soundblaster install through control panel and no go. I probably didnt get the right pci card in the install menu. i have removed it a few times and tried to do the "install from win98 cd" deal. No go.

Argh!!! So close.

Also I have a ati radeon r6 230 in it. So far it can only display 16 colors in vga mode. Is there any way to get emulated 3d graphics for the time period off of it?

I see there are glide wrappers for the 3dfx but it looks like that is just meant for running old games on newer hardware in "modern" oses. I want the same but with modern hardware on older oses.

What should I look for? I even tried the oldest avialable win9x ati and nvidia drivers and neither detected a video card. I'm so damn close here.

In the end i may just buy a genuine sound blaster 16 and a 3dfx card if i can score both for 20.00 or less. But I've been spending so much on my used dslr i just bought the other week that i really need to wait a bit - yeah 20.00 is nothing but i really should hold off spending on stuff i dont really need for a little while..... :(

So i need two wrappers for new hardware - a sb live 220 win 98 wrapper and a ati radeon r6 230 wrappper. Is this even a thing? I just need activation! A heartbeat... i want to hear genuine soundblaster fm synthesis!!!!

Arghh......

Thanks for pointers...

2. Griffmeister

Griffmeister What the hell are you staring at?
    Gold Founder

98SE, ugh. You say you’ve added a PCI sound board, what was there originally? Did you remove all old drivers and disable any onboard audio or graphics? Is there another PCI slot you could put the board in? Did you use an analog cable only between the disc drive and the sound board? Are there any jumpers that might be in the wrong position for that set-up? Does your version of 98 have all the updates, are they even available. I would imagine that this has been long unsupported, you’re a brave soul.

3. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

http://www.nostalgianerd.com/windows-98-modern-machine

That might let it detect my sb live card. The plug n play scan might have trouble with tnhe motherboard.

Fyi its a vista era hp desktop. I checked and it has xp drivers which is weird. I might be able to go in and enable the on board audio and graphics and use the xp drivers on the win 98 install. At leadt this article lends credence to the possibility at least for sound.

So i may getthat to work. Id dread not being able to do at least 16 mill color id prefer the 32 and 3d graphics. I had to set system.ini to a max of 512mb ram since it's got 2gb ram in it.

I wonder is there some register hack to get a 3d card to read differently? Though if i cant get drivers in the first place i guess thats nill.

In the end i may wait and just get the earliest pci soundlaster for win 98 that works in dos (i think i saw tgats pci 128). And im not sure about a 3d card. I did own a voodoo at one point in time. Buf i did read they arent fully directx complaint apparently.

And thanks griff this is a mission but im trying to limit the amount of time and money im putting into it. Its so damn close. If i can get period era pci cards for less than 50.00 usd i think thats the best way to go.

4. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

Well nearly there.

I ended up snapping the pins on the ide connectors on my hdd. It was sitting out of the case because initially i was trying different drives. So i had to replace it.

I got win 98 installed on a ssd!

Yep its possible. I formatted it to exfat on another computer. I have a 100 some gb now :)

I got a cd driver so i could load it it the premade games for dos pif file win 98 comes with. I could load full throttle but no sound. I couldnt load xwingcd. Not enough memory. So last weekend i bought a 3.5" floppy drive! After going through thirty disks i still had i finally got a boot disk to format. So xwingcd finally started!

But no sound!

Argh. My drivers were loaded for my sblive 0220 but it wouldnt work. I tried every configuration in xwing. So i bit the bullet and ordered a soundblaster ct4810. I shpuld get it by monday. Apparently it should work in dos.

Oh and i got a 64mb ati all in wonde card that supports opengl. I havent worked on that yet.

Im nearly there!!##

5. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

I give up.

I tried four or five sound cards and no luck.

I finally got my vortex8810 to play the sound in the xwing setup! But i couldn't start it due to lack of memory even though i had 548 and it needed 540.

I was going all over it but it would freeze win98 after only a minute tops every boot. Sooo aggrevating. I cant do it anymore.

I did have fun getting the 3d card working. But then the soundcard i was using stooped working in 98 for some reason.

So im tapped out. I guess the motherboard is too new. A Vista era motherboard just isnt meant for dos pci sound cards. Not so far as i can tell. Well some wrre windows card with dos drivers tjat gavd me headaches.

I did have fun revisiting dos and win98. But it was too irritating getting one thing working while another wouldnt.

Oh welli guessill stick with dosbox. But i do have a lot of the classics on gog and steam too. I just wished i coild have gotten the hardware working. Ill save it for a future endeavor.

6. Griffmeister

Gold Founder

That's a Vista era motherboard? Can you run Vista in DOS compatibility mode? Or maybe you need to boot up off a 5 1/4 floppy.o_O

7. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

Win 98 was the last with native dos mode.

Im disappointed i couldn't get it going. But it was a fun attempt. Now ill just settle for remasters, gog/steam and virtualization.

8. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

Update!!!!!!

I got a pentium 4 at a garage sale for 35.00. It has 512mb ram so i dont have to edit win 98. The good thing is:

I got it all working!!!!!!!!!!!

Sound
    Cd drive
    Mouse

Woohoo!!!!

I sorta got it working with an aureal vortex 8810 in dos. But i couldn't repeat it. So i put in a creative labs soundblaster 5.1 ct4870, either a hp or dell oem cant remember. But i was able to get a retail cd download to install it.

All i had to do was change the irq in the sbeint program and it worked! It was sweet hearing wolf3d spear of destiny in glorious sb16 emulation :D after fiddling with a boot disc of course. I also got full throttle on cd working with the mouse!!!

I tried to get a game controller at a computer store that specializes in older equipment but no go. I did just order a gravis gamepad and a Microsoft 3d sidwinder joystick!!! Just about 20.oo on ebay.

This has been awesome getting it going. Ill love it when i get the controllers.

9. Oh Snape

Oh Snape House Bantsratheon
    Staff Advisory

My browser took 2 hours to refresh after I clicked on this thread.

10. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

Sounds like you need this:

Ha!

But i wont be browsing on this pc.

As an aside i found out win 10 dropped usb floppy support nativley. You have to copy the win7 sys files to do it and then it works.

11. Griffmeister

Gold Founder

And with dial-up it only took six hours to copy the file onto four cassette tapes.

12. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

I myself never used tape drives on a computer. I started on a 386. Though my family did have a texas instrument micro but i barely used it.