Roleplayers Realm Discussion Topic

Discussion in 'Roleplayer's Realm' started by Shannon Apple, May 27, 2016.

1. Shannon Apple

Shannon Apple Sour Apple
    Staff Member Administrator

Hi Everyone,

As the site is so new, I haven't looked at this area at all. I have been working my butt off for a busy company all week, so I haven't had the chance to do much since Monday.

What I'd like to do is open up a public discussion on what we are going to do with the section. How do you guys want this to work? What would you like to see happen? Before we make any major decisions, we'll of course wait for more people to sign up and chime in, but start hitting me with the ideas. I know there are more RP'ers among the people excited about the site launch than have signed up so far XD. RP Realm has always been it's own little sub-community, so I hope it flourishes and grows again with the fresh start.

I'll try to enlist the help of the moderators who are more experienced with Roleplay than I am as well. Some of them used to do this type of thing in the old days XD.

As you can see, "The Dungeon" is it's own section, which means that it's not limited to being one subforum as the site grows. If someone comes up with some fantastic idea, we might just run with it.

I want suggestions, so please fire away and we'll see what's doable/workable.

2. Randoms

Randoms Ridiculously Awesome Randomness
    Silver Founder Plus

The only suggestion I have at the moment would be a writing section to show off the writing prowess in stories. Whether that would be in the dungeon or not is up to you. I know Ravok would be thrilled regardless.

3. WubbaLubbaDubDub

WubbaLubbaDubDub Well-Known Member
    Contributor Gold Founder

As for suggestions thus far, I think there should be a beginners guide, with just a few quick rules and information about RP courtesies and whatnot.

Shannon Apple likes this.
  4. Yajuu_Kikuishi

Yajuu_Kikuishi Well-Known Member

I believe this to be fairly important. That way the new guys and gals will have a guideline to help them get into this mad, crazy world. :)

Also, I always found the split between IC, OOC, and the like on A4 to be useful. Perhaps something similar here would work as well?

Oh, and thumbs up for calling it 'The Dungeon'.

5. WubbaLubbaDubDub

Contributor Gold Founder

But I REALLY think it needs to be brief, like under 1500 words at the extreme most. Otherwise people will just not read it or not retain any of it. And besides, you don't really learn how to RP until you get in one anyway.

6. Ravok

Ravok ~Hoping he will get a reply soon

^^^^

7. Yajuu_Kikuishi

Yajuu_Kikuishi Well-Known Member

I would imagine it wouldn't be about how to RP as that changes depending on the RP itself. I'd think it would be more about the basic rules of RPing (the ones that nearly all RPs use e.g. No Bunnying). But yes, short is the way to go I would say.

On a similar not, perhaps a section defining a bunch of acronyms and words used by RPers so any new RPers can look up a meaning if they don't want to ask.

8. KT Samurai

KT Samurai The Peacemaker
    Staff Member Administrator "Owner"

I pride myself on my brevity so I can take a swipe at a quick, concise rule set (with a large emphasis on the game master calling most of the shots, of course).

Also, I recall there being both an in-character (IC) and out of character (OOC) sub-forum within the roleplayer's sub-forum. Is this something you'd like to have again?

Finally, are there are particular tags that might be useful?

9. Shannon Apple

Shannon Apple Sour Apple

They weren't subforums KT, they were just tags. Those were links only for sorting by OOC/IC and were a little redundant. ;)

Bringing the tags back is super duper important. (OOC and IC)

I'll let KT write up a rules list then. I'm going to stick the "basic guidelines for running an RP" that we decided on as a community on A4 up as a sticky and let you guys reply with suggested edits.

10. KT Samurai

KT Samurai The Peacemaker
    Staff Member Administrator "Owner"

I did a draft. Feel free to edit or delete it, Shannon.

Edit: Just added IC and OOC tags.

11. Shannon Apple

Shannon Apple Sour Apple

Thanks KT. I will edit it based on member input if needed.

I've also put up the "Guideline" thread that we put together as a group on A4. This one is also open to editing. ^^

12. 4xdblack

4xdblack Accomplished Booty-Cop
    Silver Founder Plus

Right now I think the biggest problem is the 10k character limit. That's going to become a real problem in the future of RPs..

13. WubbaLubbaDubDub

Contributor Gold Founder

@Shannon Apple @KT Samurai

What you guys put up was pretty much perfect! They're vague enough to let the GM's do what they need to do, short enough that there's no excuse for someone to not read them, and are spot on as what needed to be said. Fantastic job :)

14. Scruffie

Scruffie Pro Tarantula Bro-Fister
    Editor

This is gone already

While it's great that old rpers are so excited I think that in the past there is a chance that some people that have never rped before havent really felt like they could without judgement.

I feel that while beginner guidelines are important, it's also important for veteran players to be understanding of this and offer support instead of judgement. So maybe a support or question or even practice section?

The RP Realm has always been a very ego driven section which is great entertainment, but it leaves us with a section that bleeds members and gains very few.

#14 Scruffie, May 28, 2016
    Last edited: May 28, 2016
  15. GreenSmartie

GreenSmartie Sakugacity's (Self-Proclaimed) Mascot

All good ideas so far. I would add that we should maybe make another tag/thread for more general discussion of RPs? Like, an area where people can throw out general ideas for RPs, characters, stuff they'd be willing to try, etc. I sorta made a thread for that, but it's more or less focused on RP frameworks and what I'm suggesting would have sub-threads for each of the categories mentioned. Kinda like IC and OOC, but more of a brainstorming area/casual discussion zone for RPing.

16. 4xdblack

Silver Founder Plus

Well I've created the OOC thread for my murder mystery RP. Turns out I had the word document file on my external harddrive, which means that all the things I previously mapped out were with me all along. Which means that I can actually start the RP! Figured I'd go ahead and tag all the people who previously expressed interest in joining.

The Rose Motel [Murder Mystery RP

@Yajuu_Kikuishi , @Randoms , @Kuze , @MyaMeOhMy , @GreenSmartie ,

17. Kuze

Kuze Heaven's not enough
    Contributor

Man, not Rose Motel again. Don't tell me we'll be having a Kakuri-esque character spitting random dope in tense moments.

Kakuri likes this.
  18. 4xdblack

Silver Founder Plus

[​IMG]

Kuze likes this.
  19. Kakuri

Kakuri The Disappointment
    Gold Founder

You mean you don't want that? That's what keeps things fun and fresh.

20. Kuze

Kuze Heaven's not enough
    Contributor

Well why not? Guess somebody needs to drop them jokes about a dead body.