RP World/Framework ideas

Discussion in 'Roleplayer's Realm' started by GreenSmartie, May 25, 2016.

1. GreenSmartie

GreenSmartie Sakugacity's (Self-Proclaimed) Mascot

Hello there, welcome to the RP section of the forums!
    This thread is specifically dedicated to posting ideas for potential RPs. In order to avoid straying too far off topic, it would be appreciated if you stick to discussing details concerning the story, world, and/or general framework of whatever potential RP you wish to suggest or otherwise put out there for others to add onto and discuss. Once that idea has gained some steam/traction, feel free to make a new thread centered around it to continue the discussion. Enjoy your time in this thread and please keep things civil ^_^

#1 GreenSmartie, May 25, 2016
    Last edited: May 28, 2016
  2. Kuze

Kuze Heaven's not enough
    Contributor

How about a space oddysey? Yeas.....yeas....fine alright.

3. MyaMeOhMy

MyaMeOhMy Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Sakuga's Butterfly Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ

Honestly, I would enjoy something that was along the framework of books like "The Giver", "The Maze Runner", or "Divergent". Basically a society which is controlled down to what seems like a perfect Utopia, but in all reality has many problems and is split in different groups to try and figure out who and who will not follow the rules.

4. 4xdblack

4xdblack Accomplished Booty-Cop
    Silver Founder Plus

I've been churning an idea in my head for a while, but circumstance has me from being able to expound on it. (though if someone would like to lend a helping hand, I might consider a partner in crime)

I'm thinking a murder mystery RP. Imagine a group of random strangers packed into an old antebellum home. They have no idea how they got there and they can't escape. Soon they are told by an old Butler that one of them is a murderer, and the only way to leave the house is to find out who that murderer is and execute them.

There are a lot of kinks to work out. Specifically in the "how the hell are the players expected to find clues?" department. But I think it would be an interesting RP nonetheless.

The rules would be pretty simple. Out of the participants, I pick one at random to be the murderer via pm. Once the game starts, it's the goal of the players to find evidence leading them to the murderer. Once a suspect has been revealed, the group can decide whether to execute them or not based on a majority vote. If the suspect is the murderer, the other players win. If the suspect isn't the murderer, then the real murderer wins. Kinda like a game of Mafia.

And to make things more interesting.. I'm considering giving players the option of being able to choose a superpower from a predetermined list. Just to shake things up a bit (if murder wasn't already enough)

5. Yajuu_Kikuishi

Yajuu_Kikuishi Well-Known Member

This sounds decidedly delicious. I'd keep away from the super power angle though, personally.

6. Randoms

Randoms Ridiculously Awesome Randomness
    Silver Founder Plus

I agree with Yajuu with keeping away from super powers. I like the idea and it sounds fun. The question I have would be if the murderer should really know he's the murderer since up to that point no one knows why they are there. I can imagine setting it up almost like Clue. You could choose a player who is the murderer and devise the process in which the murder took place. From there you can set your own clues and in your posts cleverly add some emphasis on certain aspects of the room. Like a gun on the wall, you would bring attention to something with its mention pointing the direction of clues. You could even throw in some false leads to make it a bit more challenging. Since the goal would be to find the murderer as opposed to figuring out how it happened, there is more leeway on how clues are interpreted.

7. Yajuu_Kikuishi

I'm not sure how the murderer not knowing they were the murderer would work...my brain can't wrap my head around it.

8. Randoms

Randoms Ridiculously Awesome Randomness
    Silver Founder Plus

I was thinking along the lines of self discovery working with everyone to help piece things together. However giving it some thought, it would be hard to figure out motives otherwise.

9. Yajuu_Kikuishi

Motives would come into question indeed.

In my mind there would be three roles (sort of), you'd have the GM whose purpose (apart from obviously managing the RP on the whole) would be to initiate and clue create/manage. The murderer, whose job it would be to, obviously, try and ensure they weren't identified as the murderer, and then you'd have the rest of them.

Of course, I would presume there to be an overarching plot as to why these people ended up in the same house with a murderer on the lose in secret.

10. 4xdblack

Silver Founder Plus

I appreciate the feedback. And that's an interesting idea.

However, I find issue with that based on one thing... The experiences. I mean if I removed the self-awareness from the murderer, there would be but only one role to play as. There could be only one perspective, and that's the ignorant player. Which IMO would get boring. But then you throw in self-consciousness and suddenly there's a new player type to be had. One that could lead in deception and misdirection. See, the point here is not to fool the characters that the RP'ers play as.. But rather to fool the RP'ers themselves. Suddenly there's a new element in the game. Rather than being focused on where the clues lead and going straight to the killer, the player would also have to consider the fact that the person they trust most could be lying to them. And if that's the case, who can you trust? What's truth and what's lies? Who decides? How do you decide?

Plus another point to be made.. I'd rather not play an RP like it's a board game. A board game is pretty straight forward, it's predictable. I want to leave a very strong element of unpredictability. But that can only come if your adversary has a consciousness. Removing the Killer's self-awareness would essentially cause the clues and riddles to become the adversary. Which will always follow a linear path. A maze nonetheless, but a maze that cannot manipulate itself. Whereas a player would have the ability to manipulate the outcome. There's a difference between losing a game and getting beaten by it. And how often does a board game beat you?

EDIT: I may have just solved my "How the hell are players expected to find clues?" predicament. ha..haha.. ahahahah... MWUAHAHAHAH...sorry

#10 4xdblack, May 27, 2016
    Last edited: May 27, 2016
  11. Kuze

Kuze Heaven's not enough
    Contributor

To borrow from Agatha Christie's Mousetrap, instead of random people stuck in an antebellum house why don't we give the setting a bit more purpose. What if some of the people are related somehow but the murderer is only consciously aware of the circumstances; and instead of the house we could switch that with a resort, a party in a wealthy philanthrophic's mansion or even a motel.

12. Ravok

Ravok ~Hoping he will get a reply soon

My only question with that is what stops the people in that murder mystery from just getting the hell out like any person would do? Like why would they need to solve it when they can just escape unharmed? Like are they trapped and this is the only means to survive. WHy dont they call the police? those things

13. Yajuu_Kikuishi

It would depend exactly on the characters, I suppose.

Either that or you'd have to come up with a reason as to why the character's can't do any of that.

14. 4xdblack

Silver Founder Plus

I really like the idea of it being a motel..I think I am going to go with that actually. It goes perfectly with my plan for clues.

All the players will be required to have a connection/motive towards the victim. In this game, everyone is a suspect.

Also, like I said. I want to keep the killer's self-awareness a strong part of the game. But I guess that really depends on when the victim is killed.. Is the victim dead before or after the players arrive? Are the players allowed to meet the victim before they die?
    Personally, I had always just assumed the first time the players are introduced to the victim is when they find his/her corpse.

I'm thinking sort of a situation similar to Death Parade. Where there are no exits once you arrive. The only way out is to play the game and move on.

15. MyaMeOhMy

MyaMeOhMy Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Sakuga's Butterfly Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ

Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ I would be willing to really get back into rping if we do this one. I love it! Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ

4xdblack likes this.
  16. Yajuu_Kikuishi

I took it that the victim would already be dead upon arrival.

Damn, I love Death Parade. But, yes, that makes sense.

17. Kuze

Kuze Heaven's not enough
    Contributor

Um, could you elaborate on the "self awareness" part. I'm having a hard time understanding it.

18. 4xdblack

Silver Founder Plus

I want the killer to know he/she's the killer. Randoms had previously suggested the opposite, and I thought that's what you were suggesting as well. which is why I reiterated my opinion on the matter.

19. Kuze

Kuze Heaven's not enough
    Contributor

Oh alright. I haven't suggested it yet but yes, the idea of the killer not being aware of being the murderer did occur to me (like Leo in Shutter Island where he created this fantasy around him). Okay let's not over-complicate this.

20. GreenSmartie

GreenSmartie Sakugacity's (Self-Proclaimed) Mascot

Interesting idea. As a suggestion for the self-awareness thing, we COULD have a DM-style individual who controlled some of the circumstances of the RP (certain "events", the reveal of certain pieces of evidence to the group, etc). In addition, they would message participants outside of the RP as to when they discovered clues, that sort of thing. They could also be the one to look at everyone's character and determine (probably at random, although discussion with the rest of the participants would be crucial) who the murderer would be and message them. Then they could set up the when, where, how stuff for everyone else to figure out. Of course, one runs into the issue of who that would be, as well as how we would keep them from abusing their powers.
    Said person also would NOT be able to participate directly in the RP as a character, outside of maybe some rando who would serve as a conduit for initiating events (like the butler, or detective/someone people could choose to go to if they wanted evidence to be checked for validity, but also revealed to everyone else). Unless we let them play as the would-be murder victim at the start? Again, all just possibilities at this point.

#20 GreenSmartie, May 28, 2016
    Last edited: May 28, 2016