saddest backstories in comics

Discussion in 'Books, Comics & Graphic Novels' started by wesleyv1, Oct 7, 2017.

1. wesleyv1

wesleyv1 Mokoto "revy" kino

What do you think the saddest superhero backstory in comics is? My money's on martian manhunter but batman, superman, spiderman, hulk, and captian America are good contenders too

What do you guys think?

2. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

Well i think we can all agree we all groaned when they did the bruce wayne backstory in bvs. I mean really again?????

Actually i get teary eyed at the end of the first captain america movie.
    the ultimate sacrifice and then betrayal in winter soldier by hydra.

3. Tonto-banchou

Tonto-banchou "Well-Known" Member
    Editor Contributor Social Media Team

Well, all I know is, there's really no beating the X-Men when it comes to angst. They're all cursed from the moment they're born, so I don't think backstories can get more tragic than that.

4. wesleyv1

Only if you look at it as being cursed

5. Novaire

Novaire Serial Editor
    Editor Contributor Gold Founder

Eric Draven, Ben Grimm, Bruce Banner, Danny Rand and Dick Grayson are all memorable. The X-Men as a whole are all pretty dark, because of the discrimination that's so inherent to their stories. From that ilk, Rogue, X-23, Magneto, Cyclops and Karma are just a few.

If we can count anti-heroes and villains, there are some really good ones. Frank Castle comes to mind, as does Mr. Freeze, as well as my personal favorite, Marvel's Taskmaster.

Taskmasters' backstory has been pretty tragic in the past, depending on what you're reading, though Marvel keeps fucking with what is and isn't canon, so the character's backstory is in limbo. Essentially, he has photographic reflexes, meaning he can watch and perfectly mimic the movements of other characters, and use their tactics as his own. As he learns memorizes more and more, his memories get lost in the shuffle, and he gradually forgets more and more of who he was, until he becomes a shell of his former self.. In the book I'm referring to, Taskmaster is revealed to be a Shield agent, which is one of the memories that has faded with time, and the person who gives him his mercenary work, unbeknownst to him, is also an agent, and his wife, another set of memories that he has painfully forgotten. The comic deals with it in more detail, but that's the gist of it. He's my favorite character, and it (Taskmaster: Unthinkable) is my favorite book. It's great, and it gets dumb as hell in the best possible way.

6. wesleyv1

Changed the title of the thread to accommodate