General Sakuga City Meetup?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Shannon Apple, Dec 12, 2017.

1. Shannon Apple

Shannon Apple Sour Apple
    Staff Member Administrator

Have any of you guys thought about doing a Sakuga City meetup like in the old days on A4? Obviously, being from Ireland, I'm not interested in going to an American one just yet, (lack of funds to travel that far atm) but I do recall those being very successful back in the day. Since we're not exclusively an anime forum, it could be an anime or gaming convention. Something like that would have to be arranged and organised well in advance though to give folks time to gather funds to go if they live far away, and so on.

It could be awesome to arrange for summer 2018, or even summer 2019 if anyone was interested in taking the lead on it. The thought just occured to me today as I was looking at photos from another group's 2017 meetup. :)

2. Dunn x Dolo

Dunn x Dolo King of the Chatroom
    Silver Founder

After Numerous attempts at trying to meet me in private, you are finally willing to meet me in public. HA HA HA!! Just kidding Shannon. XD

My wife would probably give me a hard time, but Im down for a meetup. There has to be some ground rules though.

1.) Nobody can comment on how shy I am in person.
    2.) If @Narilka comes, she has to bring her husband so I can make fun of how he wears the dress in their relationship.
    3.) @Kuze cant go because he is lame.
    4.) Nobody under 21 can go. Im trying to get drunk and fight with you guys.
    5.) It cost 5 bucks to take a picture with me. My sexiness isn't free.
    6.) No Canadians. Sorry @KT Samurai

Ill have to think of more rules later. Also, I wanna see the pics from the last meetup. How did that go?

Narilka and Shannon Apple like this.
  3. StrawHats

StrawHats Stuck in a chair
    Staff Member Moderator Founder

Being from America, I can't go to an Irish one just yet. I think I qualify according to the rules above, but no one likes weird StrawHats.

I've never done this kind of offline meet-up. Neither have I done the creepy kind. Someone take the reigns on this and I'll decide then.

Neat idea for building community.

4. Chibiurd07

Chibiurd07 Simply Awkward

I thought people just met up at conventions.
    XD

I think a meet up would be cool for the summer.
    Would I be able to make it?
    Depends on what's going on in the life of Rei at the time.
    There's a few people from here and from A4 that I've been meaning to meet.

5. WubbaLubbaDubDub

WubbaLubbaDubDub Well-Known Member
    Contributor Gold Founder

I'd be super interested in doing this! As I'd imagine is the case with most of us, I'd have to know with a lot of time in advance; especially if international travel is involved.

6. Kuze

Kuze Heaven's not enough
    Contributor

Preposterous!! My legs are perfectly fine.

7. J4sm1n4

J4sm1n4 The Queen of Hell and Heaven
    Contributor

Me and some people from sc actually met in rl... but yeah that would be cool but we would probably need to go to usa???

8. Shannon Apple

Shannon Apple Sour Apple
    Staff Member Administrator

@J4sm1n4: Yeah, to be honest, I was thinking about this in a North American context, since there are more of them. I wouldn't organise it myself because I wouldn't be there. Someone who is a regular convention goer might like to organise something though.

There wouldn't be anything stopping Europeans from doing something similar too in the future with people from this part of the world. ;)

9. Narilka

Narilka Destroyer of Worlds
    Staff Member Moderator Platinum Founder

I would be up for one. I like the idea of doing it at a convention. I have never been to one and it would be an interesting experience I am sure.

Although I would personally have to wait another year until my boy gets cool enough to leave with family. He is doing lots of bratty three year old things right now that might make my family hate me for awhile if I dump him off in them for a weekend.

@Dunn x Dolo you would be so jelly of my hubby's "dresses" so hot.

Dunn x Dolo likes this.
  10. Griffmeister

Griffmeister What the hell are you staring at?
    Gold Founder

Gee, Crunchyroll just sponsored a number of anime cons in the US, just last month was NYC. Maybe they'll do it again next year. I'd be up for one at a reasonable distance if I could make a day trip out of it, otherwise I'd have to hope for a coincidence to put me in the same area during a vacation or something.

You know an Irish one doesn't sound so bad, you can get one way air fare for like $99. The largest expense is transportation and lodging. Hell, I could fly there and back, a seven hour trip each way, for less money than a one way trip to Florida which is less than three hours. Where's the logic in that?

I almost thought about dragging the Dunnster out of his cave over the Thanksgiving weekend. Went down to West Chester and Lancaster for Thanksgiving and Black Friday, drove right past Philly on the way home Saturday but decided to give him a break for the holidays.

As a side note, there is a website for meetups, www.meetup.com where you can find an existing group or start one of your own. Granted it's geared more towards regular events, but you guys could check for an anime group in your area, maybe even get some of them to visit here.

Dunn x Dolo and Kuze like this.
  11. Matemar

Matemar Corvus

I didn't want to go anyway! B-baka!

12. Oh Snape

Oh Snape House Bantsratheon
    Staff Member Moderator

Sure but has to be in murikkka. I want that special homeland security pat down.

Matemar likes this.
  13. Shi

Shi The Aspirer
    Staff Member Administrator Platinum Founder

Just make sure you show up to the airport Black.
    Shave though, if you show up with a full grown beard, they'd shoot first and ask questions later.

Dunn x Dolo and Shannon Apple like this.
  14. Oh Snape

Oh Snape House Bantsratheon
    Staff Member Moderator

I'm prolly on the no fly list so I should learn endurance swimming or skateboarding over walls.

Shannon Apple likes this.
  15. Griffmeister

Griffmeister What the hell are you staring at?
    Gold Founder

The schedule is out, Anime NYC 11/16 to 11/18 2018 at the Javits center. Food for thought guys.