Sakuga City Nintendo District

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Red_Dragon, Jun 14, 2017.

1. Red_Dragon

Red_Dragon Established Member
    Platinum Founder

OK, so this is early since Nintendo isn't launching their online community until 2018, but maybe we can talk about stuff leading up to that time because it looks like Nintendo is really dedicating themselves to making a true online community like PSN and XBL. I'll take the initiative on this when they finally debut this.

What are your thoughts on this $20 annual Nintendo online membership?

http://www.nintendo.com/switch/online-service/

You get the following:

Online gameplay
    Online Lobby & Voice Chat app
    Classic Game Selection
    Nintendo eShop deals

Good time to be a gamer, interested in seeing where Nintendo Online will go.

2. Red_Dragon

Platinum Founder

3. Kaynil

Kaynil Senior Member

I am completely fine with them delaying if it means we get something way closer to the standards that the other gaming companies have gotten us used. They could have charged us for what we have been using like they were originally planning but it seems like they instead will rebuild and meanwhile let us use the current system so we don't miss anything.

Red_Dragon likes this.
  4. Red_Dragon

Platinum Founder

In my opinion if they make a proper online service with great titles I think that alone will increase the sales of the Switch. I know some people right now that won't buy the Switch because they feel that they can't own a console with little online functionality and I honestly understand their perspective.

Kaynil likes this.
  5. Kaynil

Kaynil Senior Member

And not just the consumers, but even the third party support could be persuaded. I have the impression I have read in the past that the limited online features of Nintendo's consoles have been a deterrent to the game developers to port just as well. I believe there was one in particular who complained about the switch not having a functionality for friend list rooms and understandably not being willing to spend extra resources and time to build one from scratch (even if other developers have done that). A competent online system can only benefit them so I am really hoping this time they understand what is expected and won't skimp on their delivery.

6. Red_Dragon

Platinum Founder

Yep this is right, I think that's where games like Doom, are going to really need this functionality.

One of the newest Switch games that came out was Payday 2 which has been on PC and consoles for a while now. You can play online, the problem is there is no voice chat whatsoever. In games like that where you are working as a team throughout an entire level it's really hard to work through the level with no voice chat. I think a proper voice chat option alongside a killer MMO (Like Monster Hunter) could go a good way to pushing the Switch in the right direction.

Kaynil likes this.
  7. Kaynil

Kaynil Senior Member

Definitely, I think it should be left up to the user if enable/engage with voice or not or at least the developers to have the choice whether their game merits it rather than using the convoluted application like they are with Splatoon. I mean, it is so much faster and convenient to whip up discord at this point on my phone that creating a room invite, but if it was all part of the switch that'd be a different story.

Red_Dragon likes this.
  8. Red_Dragon

Platinum Founder

9. ALToxicity

ALToxicity The great and powerful Peridot

Yeah I'd pay $20 for the annual membership. I think cloud saves and the online gameplay are worth it, especially if you play a lot of games. Since E3 is between now and the online service coming out, there might also be some new titles using the online service that would motivate more people to pay for the subscription.

Red_Dragon likes this.
  10. Red_Dragon

Platinum Founder

Pricing plans have been announced:

https://www.nintendo.com/switch/online-service/pricing/

$20 for an entire year is great bargain. However, the king is the $35 plan which is an entire family of 7! Still shocked there is so little information on this service and it's launching in September.

11. ALToxicity

ALToxicity The great and powerful Peridot

I'm interesting in seeing what they mean by adding people to a family account and whether that means 7 people sharing a single system, or up to 7 separate systems and accounts on one subscription. I definitely know 6 other people who'd be interested if it's the latter.

12. Red_Dragon

Platinum Founder

Bud, I think we're all wondering the same thing. 7 separate systems? Imagine splitting that 7 ways, that's $5 a piece.

I think it they did a limit even of 3 or 3 systems that can still pay off.

13. Red_Dragon

Platinum Founder

So I'm sure it's known now but Nintendo online is officially out. Honestly, I think it's worth it for $20 yeah you get some not so great Nintendo games but there's a lot of history there. Considering this subscription literally costs less than $2 a month, it's hard to argue against it. I'm more interested in the future of Nintendo Online.

14. Red_Dragon

Platinum Founder

Ladies and Gents, gimme that Friend code for Smash Bros!