IC Scarlet Carnival

Discussion in 'Roleplayer's Realm' started by Moe, Jun 28, 2016.

1. Moe

Moe Fed to the Rancor

-Doctor Thaddeus Scarlet-
    Walking from one condor to the next, my lab assistant Sasha by my side, she speaks on the preparations for the current Scarlet Carnival. “With the inclusion of the Dragon Toy finally, we’re able to push human limitations again.”

“It’s progress but until we are able to make it permanent the point is mute.” Stopping at an intersection in the many halls of my facility we watch two people from a different section of the lab pass us, both are in pink lab coats meaning they’re from the daycare, those who are in charge with the care of the new orphans. It’s a sad truth that most parents give up their kids now a day, but they are from isolated and admittedly poor sections of New Rise. They then come here, for us to impart on them enhancements that take a few years to germinate before we can send them back out to adopted families for them to live a carefree life.

It’s only years later that they participate in my carnival…

“They’ve passed Doctor Thaddeus.” Brought back from my thoughts I blink and look around, those two are far down the hall now and Sasha gives me a smile, “You’ve always been right, don’t let what you did years ago get to you.”

Sasha is a Keeper, one of the first people to participate in the carnival, alongside me to prove my point that enhancements aren’t dangerous. Which inherently was how they started, they were twisted by the old system, use as tools and weapons, to change we had to show people the sport, we had to set up a makeshift carnival and fight each other instead, we had fun, not anger towards each other, we showed New Rise the fun of enhancements and we were rewarded. The elder who marveled in the old ways smiled upon me, gave me an enhanced enhancement which allowed me to see on a molecular level and told me, “Continue to smile, continue to entertain because if we go back, we’re be more violent than ever.”

She’s the only Keeper, she came up with a new system for us to use to determine what a person gets so it’s fair, and not by choice. Toys. She labeled her particular one, the Cat. Agility for she was limber, and has a monkey’s tail to help her out in climbing. Along with that the other Toys. Turtle, Rabbit, Ox, Lizard, and Dragon…

“Doctor, you have to stop daydreaming, we’re here, the room is to your specifications.”

Look on, we stand in a glass box out looking a half completed square room that has many holes all around. The room much like where we stand is clear, yet there is still a large opening near the top that overlooks New Rise and a Farris wheel off in the distances. “I looked over your idea but I’m not sure how this will work. They are complete strangers, yet you want to group them all in this room and give them their Dragon Toy?”

“Right, they are used to their original three enhancements by now, it’s been years since each of them gain theirs, but with the Dragon, they have no idea what their control is. Plus, I hope they find respect for each other in this room.” I clear my thought as I hear running from behind and I don’t need to guess who is there, she jumps for my neck and swings around as I fall to the ground, staring into the singular large eye of my daughter. Much like her long blond hair which is tide in a bun, her eye is equal as yellow, taking after her mother who is no longer with us, leaving me to raise her. “Moka, how are you today?”

“Fine Papa,” She smiles, getting off me so I can stand and Sasha laughs at our interaction. “Are you getting excited to?”

“Very,” I pat myself off as I look back over the room, resting my large hand on my daughters head a ruffling her hair. “You’ll be participating.”

“I know, Papa.”

“Then run along, I have things I need to sort out, I’ll be home for dinner though, don’t let the food get cold.” She giggles and parts from us, her running echoing on the tile before fading away.

“And you’re sure she is ready as well? Remember last year?”

“She knows she isn’t supposed to threaten people, it’s a possibility it may happen again but because it was isolated before the event started and that New Rise hasn’t seen Moka since she was young we can take this chance again, this room is the first the people of New Rise will see of people capable of using the Dragon Toy, from there we will play it by ear. All the rules are the same as usual. Nothing is different, just Moka who is slightly unstable…”

“I wish you the best of luck then,” My lab assistance comforts my decision. “Maybe you are right, maybe this will get her to change too. But focus on the carnival, that is more important to New Rise then issues with her…I probably put that the wrong way.”

“You’re fine, I just hope she gets though this as well as the others. New Moon has discussed some disturbing things that I hope won’t interfere here.”

2. Moe

Moe Fed to the Rancor

Blinding me for yet the fourth time while trying to give me monologue on the Carnival I have to ask for a cut, which the broadcast switches to commercial as I look around the room. It’s plain as with many things, yet the view from the large floor to ceiling windows in this panoramic room on top of one of the many towers that my facility has outlooks the Carnival, a large ferries wheel finishing it’s repairs from last year’s events. Boy that was a fight to behold, luckily no one was hurt during it and we’ve learned from it.

“Ready to go Doctor,” Sasha asks from behind one of many people pointing their video cameras at me.

“Rodger,” I answer and the lighting is fixed so I can see again without being blinded. “Thanks to last year’s events,” I pick off where I left off we’re included a helper to the participants, as well as their own means of accessing their Dragon ability.” As practiced a few times earlier, Sasha tosses me a cigar shaped device. In one hand I catch it, holding it betwixt my fingers.

Inhaling I grin toward the camera, “I’m quite proud of these, GIR otherwise Guided Identification Recon. They will fly around,” I let it drop from my hand and propellers sprout from the top as well as a red blinking light, “and follow the participants, keeping an eye on them as well as telling us were each and every one of them are. They also make sure the area is safe while at the same time sending a message to all visual devices so that the civilians can evacuate the are in case of emergency.”

A whistle comes from behind the camera and I click my tongue towards Sasha’s jester. Grabbing the GIR that’s flying around me, it stops all movements and I plant it in my pocket, drawing a distinctive large button. A smile as always on my face I press it. “Let the participants reveal themselves.”

They aren’t going physically reveal themselves, no, where ever they are and who ever, out of the large pool that is possibly to join this year, they will faint and I’ll have my people go out to get them, once here we will be being.

“Most everything is open, the Scarlet Carnival has begun, and in a week, the participants too will start their matches for glory. Figuratively of course, it’s pure sport. Enjoy!”

Pausing, one of the camera guy counts off on his hand till he makes a fist, the red lights on the cameras turn off and Sasha rushes over to me, “good as always…”

“You didn’t let me finish…” I grumble.

“The general populace doesn’t need to know all about the janky GIR’s you rushed though production, just last week a box of them exploded. You really want to use them that badly?”

Glaring at her she goes quiet before handing me a clip board as we start walking, and exiting the room, “These are the contestants this year, as per you request the room below gives need for each of them to use their Dragon, they will be in a tight spot literally if they don’t at least know what they can do. You sure they are able to sense their own abilities?”

“Once they inject themselves with the GIR they will come to understand their own Dragon. It’s in the code of the nano machines, just a matter of time depending on where they injected it…they may be reluctant and go for the thigh like most of the testers, yet once it reaches their brain they will know what it is and how to control it. The room is just for show; everyone should be able to stop it before it gets too dangerous.”

“So you’re admitting it’s dangerous, that’s how we let last year go…”

“Always the voice of reason with you, isn’t it,” I glace over the clip board. Seven names. Moka Scarlet my own Daughter as planned; Gerath… “I knew I should have started adding bios on them, there is too little info so mark that down.”

“Yes,” Sasha says with a laugh knowing that we’ve been not including bios on the entries since we’ve began, either due to my forgetfulness or Sasha just wanting to screw with me like she does. She’s like an older sister to me.

Joshua Freely; Russ Lux; Kato Hellstorm; Lily Castle; and Laurence Ryker. “Only two girls this year, well with how Moka acts…” I pause, not wanting to say ill things about my own daughter. “Any who, they should arrive in the morning, they’ll be sleeping while we add the final touches so they are able to use the Dragon.”

Pointing to my forehead where a gray square patch will be placed on each of them to monitor the outputs of their abilities. “In a way they are a working example of test subjects yet in a non-harmful way like twenty years ago.” Yes, I’m pointing to my forehead where they will have the gray squares placed but on ours—Sasha’s and mine are a deep scar a device which controlled us.

Sasha looks down before smiling back at me, thinking of old times. “let’s go see your daughter, she’s already here.”

“Yes, lets.” I answer back putting the clipboard to my side as we continue down the vacant hall.

(You may all begin, read my latest post in the OOC)

3. Moe

Moe Fed to the Rancor

-Russ Lux-
    “Keep watching…” I ask him, his eyes drifting back towards the screen but his interest is clearly elsewhere. I’m the only one of our small group here at the orphanage that is actually looking forward to the Carnival, that and I’m the eldest. The others see it as dull, and probably the most telling sign from them, is they don’t want me leaving them, they see me as their elder sibling. I am looking forward to it as one of the two men on screen speeds down the farrier’s wheel, his hands enlarging and grabbing onto a seat and forcing the wheel off its hinges while throwing it at the other participant who joined later in the completion which is unusual because usual all of them are announced at once and this guy seemed tougher than the others.

“They’re monsters.” This particular friend of mine, Rex. He doesn’t even have the moon on his hand, he had family who died, he’s here for other reasons then us, but the rest of us all have the crescent moon on our right hand, showing that our bodies are special, we’re able to weld three enhancements or Toys as they are commonly referred to.

I do feel bad for him, he’s the one I’ve grown the most attached to after all, “We may be monsters but I’m friendly…” He’s in a mood that nothing can stir him and I know he’s regretting getting close to me. “Listen, if I win I will renovate this place, I mean hell, Sasha shows up every week at least and teaches us. She’s kind and wonderful, if I’m chosen, I’d miss seeing her. I’d be jealous of you.”

“They’re talking about the carnival, this is it, when the Sleep happens.” A young girl whose a few years younger than Rex and I speak up from near the seesaw at the park within the orphanage. “Russ, it might be your turn.” She says cheerfully as I head over, there is a larger screen on one of the walls that boxes us in that turns on only for special occasions.

Rex follows closely behind me, he’s short for his age, not to say I’m much taller. My hair is an off blue color reflecting one of my Toy’s according to Sasha. Apparently Toys are chosen in such a way that they are supposed to benefit the user. They aren’t necessarily meant for fighting each other but to keep with the old ways—which were long before I was born—we hold this event to celebrate the change.

The sun setting far behind us, making our small pen in New Rise’s rural district all that smaller. Meanwhile the others here are rounding up, even the teacher leaves from the main building to join us. Smiling I keep thinking this is my chance, this is my year, even if thirteen year olds are rarely chosen we’re still up to participate and I want to show everyone what I can do. Only question that makes me pause as I listen to Thaddeus speak of a new Toy that is involved. The Dragon which allows its users to control. Was I someone who played with that Toy?

Snickering, Rex gives me a longing look, and his words weigh on me, monsters, are we really that to someone who only holds one Toy, who’s body isn’t graced like ours are? “I’ll show everyone a good time…”

My hand begins burning as my eyes widen. It’s been described as a good warm fuzzy experiences to Sleep but this, it’s pure pain. My thoughts drift to what Sasha said the last time she was here. ‘Since the Dragon is new, the sensations will also be new, there is no telling in what way.’ “It hurts.” I wince, Rex gawking at me with horror as my sight fades, and the rest of the kids and teacher which have gathered are all surrounding me.

“Wow, he was chosen.” That girl who announced to us exclaims. Falling onto my back I can’t resist this and the pain, it hurts. My strength zapped from me as I try to bring my hand into my sight to see the glowing crescent moon on the backside of my right hand.

That’s the last thing I see…the outline of the scarlet moon.

#3 Moe, Jul 6, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2016
  4. Randoms

Randoms Ridiculously Awesome Randomness
    Silver Founder Plus

Joshua Freely

"Come on, Josh. You're going to miss it." shouted a female voice from inside a small apartment situated near the suburbs. Other voices soon followed though incomprehensible seemed to be in agreement to the original call.

"Hold your horses. These hot dogs aren't going to grill themselves." shouted Joshua back inside. The merry of voices responded in playful discontent. Joshua finally placed down his tongs and walked through the glass sliding door back inside. Inside several people were sitting on the couch and easy chair that faced the television mounted on the wall. They looked at Joshua, some of them scooting over to make room for him on the couch.

"You can get back to them after the announcement." spoke the same female from before, a girl he met online named Tracy.

"Yeah man. Lets see what new is going to take place. I heard that something special is happening this year. A new toy." spoke a male sitting in the easy chair, Christen.

"You mean the dragon." replied another.

"That's it."

Joshua leaned forward in his seat. Like the rest of his friends, he was excited. The Scarlet carnival was something that he enjoyed watching, the action that some of the fights had was practically surreal despite the enhancements being common. The program played on as the group watched in silence waiting for the new information. Once it reached another commercial break the group started chatting again.

"What if I'm the chosen one." spoke Christen.

"Please. You're turning 26 in two days, no way it'd be you." replied another. The group laughed. Christen merely clicked his tongue and leaned back deeper into the chair. He then looked at Joshua.

"Josh then."

"Haha, not I." replied josh with a grin. "I mean I'm at the very edge. And this dragon thing sounds new. They would have had to start progress on it over 25 years ago for me to even have a shot at it."

"You never know." However, it was not long after when Joshua jumped in pain. Like it was timed by the program, Joshua gripped his hand as he fell forward off the couch. His friends gathered around him alarmed, but soon realized that he was chosen for this years carnival.

Lily Castle

Lily was walking down the street filled with small business and bakeries. Merely minding her business, he soon entered a coffee shop situated at the corner of the intersection. The place was mostly empty with only a couple boys sitting at window side table overlooking the park across the street. The barista moved from coffee machine to the register.

"Hello, welcome. What can I get for you." the barista asked cheerfully. Lily took a quick glance at the menu and ordered a small coffee, handing over a five dollar bill. The barista handed Lily her change and started to make her drink. It wasn't long until her drink was ready. Taking the cup, Lily was about to walk out when one of the only two people inside spoke aloud.

Lily turned her attention to them momentarily.

"Told you!" Shouted on of the boys. He was holding his phone as he and his friend seemed to be watching a video. The other boy tried to play it off claiming that it was all rumors before now. Lily knew straight away that they were talking about the Scarlet carnival. It was one of the only things people were talking about. Pulling out her own phone, Lily noticed it probably would be time. But no sooner had she put her phone away, a sudden burning, and then she blacked out.

5. 4xdblack

4xdblack Accomplished Booty-Cop
    Silver Founder Plus

Kato

They played cards. Games of pool, gambling, drinking, smoking. There were those who did drugs, and those who sold them. But in the center of it all was a ring. Those who stepped into the ring realize that their life was forfeit. The pot was filled with not their money, but their lives. The cage surrounding that ring kept those brave few from escaping. But it also protected those on the outside from the bloodbath that was to occur. This is what they call an illegal underground fighting ring, meant to pit toy users against other toy users. Bloodied fists, broken bones, and tombstones. This was not a place for the feint of heart, or the weak willed. The stench of death was only overpowered by the smell of alcohol, cigarette smoke, and the occasional vomit. Blood stains painted the cold concrete walls and floors. The people who frequented this place were less desirables. People who would slit your throat for a dollar and some change. And I loved every bit of it.

There I was, in middle of the ring. The floodlights warmed my skin. The cold chain linked cage would occasionally send shivers down my spine. The other guy? He was a Double shade. The Ox and The Turtle were his toys. His strength alone was enough to rip that cage wide open, or split a skull with his hands alone. His body was as hard as a rock. Normal bullets would bounce off this guy. He was no taller than 5'11", his muscles were lean and cut. He had a long fiery goatee, with red hair and green eyes to complete the look. To top it off, the guy's a mixed martial artist. The underground rings are a highly lucrative business. Guys like this would train day in and day out to bash skulls in. Makes people in that business sound like savages, but you would be to if you were getting paid in 9+ digits.

He had been racking up cash the whole night. It was common that there would be a ringer every couple weeks. A pro at the game who would make an appearance in the ring. Challengers would line up. The first guy to take the ringer down would get all the money he collected from the previous fights. These fights rarely ended in a blood bath, you can't make money off a dead man. But people still died. And there I was, the next challenger. We touched fists to initiate the fight, stepping away to our respective corners. At the ring of the bell, the match started.

His fists were like lightning. Continuous combinations, each packing a devastating punch. My first toy, The Owl, allowed me to slow down my perception of time. His lightning fast fists quickly lost their spark. I was able to dodge and block with ease. My second toy, the Turtle, gave me protection. So despite his strength, if I blocked with my arms or legs, he didn't do any significant damage. However if he landed a hit anywhere else, I'd be a deadman, He pushed me into a corner, the crowd was cheering as I was left on the defensive. Finally he prepares to throw a nasty roundhouse headed straight for my head. I duck under, and finally go on the offensive.

My third toy, The Cat, allows me to instantly accelerate to 100mph. As the classic equation goes, mass times acceleration equals force. As my head ducks under his kick, my fist slips through the cracks. I accelerate my fist, which from this distance 100mph seems like light speed. I land the hit straight to his torso. He flies backwards and smashes violently into the cage behind him. A punch like that could kill a normal person, but he isn't normal. He coughs up blood for the first time, but stands up regardless. Time for round two.

He rushes straight at me, jumping in the air for what I can only assume is a superman punch. Before his feet could touch the ground, I was behind him in the air. My kick smacked him across his backside and sent him straight into the ground with a loud thud. The concrete floor cracked and cratered. Despite that, he stood up again, albeit looking worse off than he did before.

"I thought I was hallucinating for a moment there.You're a Triple shade aren't you?" he said. I grinned and put up my fists ready for round 3. This time he slowly approached me, going back to his combination punches. His punches were nothing to my speed. He threw a roundhouse punch, and I countered. My fist landed on the left side of his head. His body twisted and flew through the air, finally landing on the ground like a ragdoll. His rock hard body wasn't something that would break easily, but the soft brain inside wasn't something he could protect. He was knocked out cold. The whiplash alone from my punch would have caused that.

The crowd cheered as I lifted my hands in victory. Or at least, I thought they were cheering. They were actually yelling and screaming as the police busted down the door and started arresting everyone. "RAID!" they yelled. I on the other hand was stuck in the cage that they neglected to unlock. The police gained control over the building as everyone fled. And I was left there alone, and captured.

Fast forward a couple hours and here I am in a public holding cell. There was a holographic television in the top corner, talking about this year's Scarlet Carnival. "If only I'd get chosen for the Scarlet Carnival. Then I wouldn't have to pay for my bail.". That's when I blacked out.

#5 4xdblack, Jul 7, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2016
  6. Ravok

Ravok ~Hoping he will get a reply soon

Gerath

As his squad stands ready to break into this illigal underground fighting ring. Gerath being the first at the door, they know he can push trough these crowds easily with his three shields. "BREAAK" He hears the command and kicks the door in, stumbling into a room with a lot of people. It smells like blood, boose and smoke inside. The smell was sensable outside but now inside its almost overwhelming.

His squad started pointing there guns but there was something that caught Geraths eye. The ring in the middle, he walked toward it and noticed two people inside. One knocked out and the other still standing, When the fighter was confused with the chaos of the people running around him, Gerath quickly entered the ring. He swiftly snuck up behind the consious fighter and quickly banged him on the back of his head with his shield, knocking him out.

An hour later:

"So that was a good raid wasnt it" Gerath said to his team, but his team didnt like him at all. He was always the star, this big guy with his "toys
    " All gerath wanted was to deliver some justice. But he was excited right now, and was hoping to be picked for the carnival to show of his actual skills. He dosed off into his chair. Just to be woken up to in his ears was shocking and he was in incredible pain. Just to pass out quickly afterwards

7. Yajuu_Kikuishi

Yajuu_Kikuishi Well-Known Member

Laurence pulled the toast free from the toaster and laid it gently on the wooden board he had laid out, careful to ensure no crumbs escaped onto the kitchen worktop surface. As he reached up to the cupboard to withdraw his favourite spread, the television in the corner of the room snapped to life. Luckily, Laurence had previously been watching it with the volume off so it didn’t make him more than jump slightly. He realised at this point that he had laid his other hand on the remote as he had reached upwards.

Obviously, it’s not like it could turn on by itself.
    He thought as he moved the remote aside and placed his spread on the wooden board next to the toast. As he did so he glanced across to the TV and saw that it was showing scenes of the previous year’s Scarlet Carnival. Seeing it drew Laurence’s eye to the tattoo-like image on the back of his hand, a black crescent moon, and to the abilities he possessed. He even realised that he hadn’t bothered turning the light on and was currently working in the relative dark with ease. He shrugged to himself, it wasn’t a big deal, and moved across to hit the light switch.

The kitchen was a small affair as a whole, barely enough room for two people side to side but it served its purpose for Laurence, who lived alone. In fact, his whole apartment was sized perfectly for one person; it had been one of the things he had looked for when renting, thus lowering the amount he would have to pay. As he continued making his breakfast, the TV switched from the highlight reel to the face of a man Laurence vaguely recognised but couldn’t put a name to.

It was then that he realised that the Carnival participants were about to be chosen. He widened his eyes, he hadn’t realised it had been so close; he had been too focused on his new job and his new place. His breakfast now forgotten, all of Laurence’s attention was on the man as he spoke, as he turned to large button and told the world the Carnival Participants were about to reveal themselves.

When the pain struck he cried out involuntarily, dropping to one knee by the counter. Not this year, not this time, damn it! He thought as the pain grew until blackness enveloped him and he slipped into unconsciousness.

8. Moe

Moe Fed to the Rancor

~Moka Scarlet~
    (Moka's updated look, her hair is still blond, not rainbow though)
    [​IMG]
    Continually humming as I take an ally toward one of my favorite bakeries. There are few people there and all the televisions are turned to my father’s obnoxious announcements of this year’s carnival. Momentarily I click my tongue, much like he does, which I hate, why are you like this father…

Here in New Rise the carnival is the focal point every year. Much like a stadium the city is set up. With the stands being the residential area with stalls from the common folk and some arcades scattered about. The field, being the grand showcase, of rides and circus tents. Many higher end stalls and the focal point being the farriers wheel itself which after last year’s carnival needed to have a massive overhaul to fix and reinforce so it couldn’t be used as a projectile weapon again.

To so called safe house located beneath and underground of the farrier’s wheel, loaded with various necessities. Truly the participants each year are pampered and given whatever they so desire during the carnival, the downside being in a constant state of paranoia and wary of the next fight. When you’re in eye sight of the person you want to fight, yell ‘Battle On’ and so begins the battle.

I have stopped walking as my thoughts carry my actions, I’m tense and I take notice of those around me, they have all backed away from me, hesitant of me. I too am hesitant of them; I don’t like that I’ve strayed into a crowed that I never wanted to be in. I hate my condition, yet I can’t carry on without it.

My humming continues and I find myself back at the bakery which I never strayed far from, yet thanks to my father I know more than I want to about this damned carnival. He’s rigged it this year though, he wants me a part of it. He thinks I’m some weak and frail little thing even after last year I was supposed to participate. I showed him I could, I showed him I wasn’t weak and bit through that guys arm in one clean sweep…

Yet that’s all I remember as I was taken from the game before it started broadcasting. “Maybe next year, you have to get a handle on your personality.” He told me, and I say aloud as I gaze at the person at the desk, ready to take my order, her face is blank as she nods, knowing what I like already.

“You always talk about your dad, is he that bad?” the clerk questions.

Glaring at her, she quiets herself and goes grab the bread that I like, raisins and almonds. In no time she brings it back, I hand her the money and exit. Following in the steps of a similar patron who’s pulls out her phone and almost simultaneously we both buckle over. “It hurts a hell of a lot more this year,” I whisper as I pass out.

In the bleakness I continue to hear stuff, but it’s muffled and not audible. But when I come too, I’m lying in shallow waters, my eye flutter opens as I see I’m within the room my father had been working on this past year. Pure white walls with multiple holes that are trickling in water as we wake. I feel my forehead and there is a patch where my father similarly has a scar on his own head. These patches, they’re for monitoring our vital signs.

Humming, I see six other bodies around me, each of them laying in the same water, everyone is here in this room when my father’s voice speaks over the loud system. “Welcome participants, we’ve kept the room hospitable for the time being, and it will be so for a while yet, but each of you are in there with one purpose, to find and understand your Dragon.”

The others are slowly waking too and now that I’m standing, I feel the water rise, now up to my ankles. “Papa, what is this?” I whimper.

“A trust building exercise,” Sasha’s voice echo’s in the room, “all of you are to understand what your Dragon is and get yourself out of that room. It’s built in such a way to test each of your Dragon’s. Work together to get out. This is the beginning of the Carnival.

As soon as Sasha finishes her dialogue an enormous wind whips though the room, blasting all of us, awake or not off the ground and into the air. Screaming I glare at a single spot in the room where I know the on sided mirror to be, behind that, that’s where they are, they are all watching us as if those experiments he’s always talked about still continued.

“Lastly, here are the GIR’s, use them like a shot, it might sting a little but it’s the only way to access your Dragon. Once you understand your ability use it and help everyone escape. Lily, you’re awake right, you already have your GIR, use it. Everyone else, your GIR’s have already been release into the room.” The mic trails off as Sasha stops speaking.

I continue my humming, picking up the other 5 GIR’s being flung around the room much like we all are. I’ve stopped screaming but I’m still startled by my father’s willingness to put us all into immediate danger.

Wonder why Lily—and my sights turn on the only other girl in the room, as she, as are all of us are in this confused state—why is she the only one to start with a GIR?

9. Harlequinn

Harlequinn Edgy Teenager
    Staff Advisory Silver Founder Plus

Sometimes she thought she almost deserved it.

Ashton Pearsce would wake every morning from a plain white cot, tucked to the far corner of her dusty third-story apartment on the East Side - within the space where a living room, had her taste in sleeping arrangements been ordinary, might be. She would always tell herself she liked the extra space the room offered, but really, the ceiling had begun to leak in the bedroom about a week before, and she didn’t feel quite up to fixing it.

After removing herself from the comfort of her blanket, she’d do her morning exercises, before pouring herself a bowl of off brand cereal to the sound of a television she wasn’t watching, some days taking it with water instead of milk. Sometimes she’d cook a couple eggs, if she had them. Then she would head off to the bathroom to take a quick a shower, before toweling off, doing whatever else she needed to take care of, and heading out the door after spending a good while in front of the mirror - a small, flimsy thing that hung crooked off the wall, bisected by a crack just high enough to make Ashton look cut in two from the neck. She never bothered with cosmetics - mostly, she would just look at herself. Ashton never really had a reason for doing it, but it had somehow become so ingrained in her routine, that she couldn’t help but do it every morning after breakfast.

This morning wasn’t much different. Ashton was up by about 10 or so - by then the apartment began to get just a little too warm to stay in bed. The apartment smelt of dust and cigarettes, mostly because Ashton didn’t care to step outside for a smoke. Summer mornings always made her miss the winter, when she could sleep longer if she wanted. Usually she didn’t, but Ashton was someone who enjoyed the option to do so. She did some sit ups, but she only ever did the bare minimum she needed to stay in shape.

In the kitchen, she poured herself a bowl of Colonel Crunch, mixing it with equal parts water and half-and-half as she switched on the television, eating with big, lazy spoonfuls while standing. Usually she only kept the TV on for the noise, but this time she actually bothered to take a look - she didn’t have anywhere particular she needed to be that day.

It was something about the Carnival, and she soon lost interest - just as well, as she’d already polished off her breakfast. Ashton never cared much for enhancement hype. She used to worry about being selected when she was younger, but by the time she approached her mid twenties, she figured it would’ve happened already if it was going to happen.

Dropping her bowl into the sink among a growing pile of dishes, she left for the bathroom - a little closet of a room that was clearly an afterthought post construction. Luckily, there was just enough room for all the essentials: sink, toilet, and a place to wash. Sure, the cabinets below the sink were difficult to open while inside the room, but it was a small price to pay for a shower - her old place had nothing but an old bathtub that never quite worked right.

The water was lukewarm today - must’ve been the water heater acting up again. Ashton had to see her landlord today anyway, so she didn’t mind too much. After a little over five minutes, she turned the lever harshly to the left, so that the faucet wouldn’t leak.

Looking past the water stains and flecks of dried-up toothpaste, Ashton studied her reflection carefully. Like most days after her shower, Ashton’s eyes spent an overly long amount of time meandering over features in the mirror that they weren’t much interested in, as if she were pretending to some invisible onlooker that the big, ugly scar on her nose wasn’t the only thing she was interested in looking at. It was like when an awkward teenager wants to stare at someone they like, so, as to not arouse suspicion, they act as if every little thing around the person is absolutely fascinating, all the while taking short, sneaky peeks. Only, Ashton was staring at something she most certainly did not like.

The mark ran straight across her bridge, just below the eyeline. It’d been almost a year since she’d broken it, and it had been almost a year that she’d spent her mornings glaring at its reflection. Though, to be accurate, she wasn’t the one who broke it - it was the guy she lost the fight to.

After dressing herself, she stepped outside, locked up, and descended a small flight of stairs that lead to the street, gingerly stepping over an unconscious junkie on the way down. Though the sun was always creating an uncomfortable sauna effect within her apartment by means of its grimy windows, it was several degrees cooler on the street level - as the sun, considering the way the buildings were aligned, could only touch the road during very specific times of the day. Thus, it would’ve been a balmy late morning, but Ashton felt the need to slip her hands into her pockets to keep away the chill. She figured she might go to the park today, though she didn’t really have any plans.

There weren’t many people around, usually. There were plenty of homeless, but one didn’t often see someone who had places to go. This meant that Ashton didn’t have to have to push through any morning crowds when she went out - she practically had the sidewalk all to herself. It had rained a little the previous night, and she silently cursed herself when the water from a puddle she stepped in began seeping through to her socks from the hole in her boot. After a couple blocks, she noticed up ahead that there was some sort of big commotion. She could’ve seen it earlier, but she tended to look down toward the concrete when she walked - she only noticed when she heard the noises. Looked to be police - probably collecting donations, she thought. That was usually what the police were doing around here. Either way, she didn’t feel much of a desire to know more.

It went without saying that Ashton lived in a rough neighborhood. Dirty, dangerous, full of drugs - everything you’d expect. But the East Side had always been that way in everyone’s memory - it was a place where nothing changed. It was completely immune to the progress the rest of the world championed, perfectly content in its stagnation. Before he died, Ashton’s father used to tell her about how the place used to be alright before the manufacturing left. Now, there weren’t any jobs, no one did much about the trash, and one could deal out in broad daylight with nothing to worry about.

Though, Ashton couldn’t help but feel glad for that last part, as dealing was just about her only source of income these days. No hard stuff, just weed, and she only sold to people she knew. Ashton wasn’t experienced enough to try anything more than that. She strolled into a wide alley on her right, spooking a hidden flock of pigeons that’d been scouring the asphalt for scraps.

“Ashton! Hey!” shouted a shrill, all-too-familiar voice that almost seemed to blend with the cooing of the birds. Ashton immediately knew it to be her acquaintance, Michael. She hadn’t noticed him at his seat on the far end of a nearby dumpster.

Michael was the only person Ashton knew to have a natural voice that sounded like a cross between a verge-of-puberty tween and a 60-year-old smoker. It also sounded as if he perpetually had a glob of mucus lodged in the back of his throat, so he was easy to pick out. He got up so Ashton could see him better - he was wearing a blue beanie, ratty jeans, and a grimy black vest that he always refused to wash - his face was strangely small, and his hair was thin and dark. Ashton wasn’t much of a fan of Michael, to be frank. All her other clients were fine, but he just rubbed her the wrong way. One thing that always bothered her was how he would pretend as if he were down on his luck like it was some kind of style - bumming around in alley ways, dressing in awful clothing when he could easily afford something nicer. She could swear his parents gave him more money for his monthly allowance than Ashton could ever make herself - though that was just conjecture, really. What she did know was that he was 19, jobless, not in school, and spent all day smoking weed. Ashton’s weed. She couldn’t complain - she was making money.

“Hey, Michael,” Ashton sighed, taking her hand out of her pocket to attempt a short, disingenuous wave. “What’s up?”

“Nothin’ much, nothin’ much…” He mumbled disinterestedly. “So…-?

“Yeah, yeah. Just trying to make conversation.”

Ashton retrieved an old ziploc sandwich bag from her pocket - it was filled with a half ounce, more than he usually bought. She handed it to Michael - he was excited.

Nice,” he chuckled, staring it down. “Honestly, your stuff’s crap. But it’s cheap.”

“Fuck off,” retorted Ashton, though she was hardly upset, placing a cigarette in her mouth as she searched for her lighter.

“You can use mine,” offered Michael as he put his wallet back in his pants, payment in hand. Before she could answer, he used his free hand to fish out his dingy old zippo - she was very familiar with it, as Michael was always jumping to let her use it. After a bit of fumbling with the sparkwheel, he held the flame to the end of the cigarette, igniting it.

Thanks,” muttered Ashton.

“Don’t mention it…” he said, before timidly trying to think of something to say before Ashton left. He just made noise in the meantime: “Sooooo…

Ashton blew smoke to her side. She looked at him expectantly.

“Ya’hear ‘bout that bust on that enhancer-fight-ring-thing?”

The underground fight clubs around here had grown rather infamous over the years - everybody knew about them. It annoyed Ashton that Michael couldn’t describe it any other way than “that fight-ring-thing”. Big fights were always a thing in these parts - but people didn’t used to die.

“I don’t keep up with any of that crap. When?” Ashton lied, scratching her hand. Despite what she said, she was slightly interested.

Ohhh…-” Michael trailed off slightly as he checked his watch. “Ten minutes ago, prob’ly.”

There wasn’t much that escaped Michael’s Rabbit enhancement.

Ashton thought back on what she’d seen about 5 blocks up ahead. What Michael said would explain all the police. The only thing the NRPD would be interested in over here would be the fight clubs.

No shit...” She mumbled, chuckling slightly as she looked over her shoulder back toward the road, though she knew she couldn’t see the commotion from where she was now.

“Say, didn’t you used to do that?” Michael mused aloud with an obnoxious grin. “Ya’know, before you started selling me weed?”

It took a lot of willpower not to punch Michael straight in his scrawny face right then and there, but Ashton was able to refrain. “No,” she corrected, cigarette in hand. She gave him a stern glare. “I didn’t.”

“I know you did somethin’ like that.”

“Boxing,” she said, doing all she could to disguise her indignation. “No enhancements allowed. You know: fighting, the way it was for thousands of years?” She sighed deeply, scratching the back of her neck defeatedly. “I swear, clean fighting is a lost art these days…”

“Ah,” was all Michael said. That was the way he usually was - carelessly striking nerves and saying nothing of anything afterward. If he didn’t do something about his mouth, Ashton swore he’d end up dead some day. Hoped, maybe. She scratched her hand again idly - beginning to noticing that it was unusually itchy.

Michael noticed her scratching. “Chiggers again?” he sneered.

“I don’t have fucking chiggers, Mike,” Ashton hissed. She’d gotten chiggers from an old mattress years ago after getting drunk at a party, and Michael never let her hear the end of it.

Michael’s grin disappeared. “Don’t call me that,” he warned, flustered, doing his best to bow up and look intimidating. It was unsuccessful, to say the least. He was thin as a rail, and the fact he was almost two heads shorter than Ashton didn’t help.

“What, you’re gonna fight me now?” Ashton clenched her cigarette between her teeth. “Try it, I dare you,” she threatened as she raised her fist. It was what she usually did whenever Michael started thinking he was tougher than he actually was. At this point, Michael acted up so often that the response had become almost mechanical. Though she’d never punch him, that didn’t mean she didn’t want to. She just didn’t think he’d be able to take it.

Y-yeah, well-...” Michael started, already having second thoughts. But then, all too suddenly, an uncharacteristic silence fell over him. He stared blankly at Ashton’s fist, wide-eyed and unblinking, like some sort of dumb fish.

Usually he would stammer on for a while longer before stopping, but this kind of response was utterly abnormal. Ashton never thought of her fist as that scary - and neither did Michael. She looked, only expecting, of course, to see nothing but the back of her curled knuckles. But that was when she finally noticed it: a bold crescent moon, glowing so brightly it was as if it were suddenly lit aflame.

“What…?” she muttered, stunned - though she didn’t hear herself speak. It was then that she started to feel dizzy, as if she’d accidentally taken a whiff of modeling glue or taken one too many drinks. Her cigarette, only a stub, slipped from her lips, extinguishing itself in a puddle at her feet. Her peripherals blurred, and the last thing she remembered seeing before everything went dark was the wordless message on her hand.

An invitation to the Scarlet Carnival.

#9 Harlequinn, Jul 18, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2016
    Moe likes this.
  10. Yajuu_Kikuishi

For a second, all Laurence felt was the wetness. Then the feeling to the rest of his body returned and he realised that he was face down in water; it wasn’t deep but he felt it pressing against his left eye and the left side of his face. The pain he had felt upon being called upon for the Scarlet Carnival had now faded allowing him to slowly draw himself to his knees. A quick look around told him something clearly; whatever the plan was, the contestants for this year’s Carnival were all currently stuck in the same room.

Laurence remained on his knees as a voice came over some kind of loudspeaker hidden from view. It’s female, so not Doctor Thaddeus, his name comes to Laurence immediately now. When she mentions a ‘Dragon’ Laurence desperately thought back to what he knew about this year’s Carnival; the ‘Dragons’ were new, some kind of extra power to go with their Toys. So this is a test? Laurence thought while finally pulling himself to his feet. It can’t be fatal, the Carnival isn’t meant to be.

Even as those thoughts form, Laurence felt more water on his jeans and looked down to find the water level rising slowly. A quiet squeak tells Laurence the woman is finished speaking for a moment but before he could think about what the plan was a strong wind whipped through the room; hurricane strong. As well as everyone else, Laurence was thrown into the air violently and without control. The woman’s voice spoke up again and informs them that their GIRs are ready for them if they can get a hold of them.

Laurence looks around wildly and spots 5 small cylindrical shapes exit a small hole and get picked up by the wind and thrown wildly around the room like they were. Without knowing who else was awake, Laurence had only one thing on his mind.

“Lily! If you really are awake and can help us, do it now!” he yelled, his voice being carried around the room by the wind.

11. Moe

Moe Fed to the Rancor

The camera’s rolling in the room, and the participants flying around like rag dolls, I almost wonder if I put too much thought into this singular test. Murmuring to myself, out of range from the mic that Sasha has station herself at I collect my thoughts, “sure the science behind determining their actual Dragon that went into the making this room are as followed by their abilities. Aerokinesis; Fulgurkinesis; Pathokinesis, Enhance Control, to bad there isn’t a fun name for that one; Temperature Regulating; And Psychokinesis of no biological material…”

“There’s two of them…the psychokinesis.” Sasha covers the mic, mentioning this to me as I observe through the one-sided glass at the participants. “We give the GIR to the likelier of the two, it was either Lily or Laurence.”

She sounds worried, “so a crap shoot,” I answer and her expression remains grim. “I understand you like fun but please understand your own equations, they aren’t completely reliable much like the GIR’s. Who’s to say they all don’t explode in there.”

“Um…" I fall silent thinking on this, "I know I’m not great when it comes to this stuff, but I’m one of the best, and we established the Carnival to rid ourselves of those heinous acts twenty years ago.”

“There are still people out there, such as the Full Moon which oppose enhancements, and those that use them as weapons.”

The conversation isn’t going smoothly, and we’re all concerned with Full Moon, everyone in the labs, not willing the change the subject just yet I dive deeper, and ask my share of what information she’s gathered. I’m in the lab, working with the boys while she’s out and about, watching the world and seeing how our impact has changed New Rise. We make for a perfect blend and balance. More good than bad has come out of the Carnival. We’re thriving and its only now that we’re able to reach into the slums of New Rise and begin to rebuild, begin to make them thrive from the revenues we’re producing. The Slums where are major focus this year for who will be participating. “Yah, I know, well has anything happen?”

“Reports from the outskirts of New Rise say a few of these participants are part of an illegal fighting ring. This could prove to be devastating if they aren’t cooperative.”

Closing my good eye, keeping my eye with its enhancement on her, I sigh, one of slight disappointment, “you use to have more faith in people.”

“I still do, just not those born into the slums…no because of people born into the slums I have more faith in them, but only after they are grown, and mature enough to see how shitty the world is.”

“Like us?” I question, knowing the answer because we’ve lived it, we were born in the slums, experimented on and force to fight twenty years ago, banding together we are the only two to survive the Extinction of the Exiled.

My train of thought running deep as a stretcher is pulled up to the room below, opposite of the one the participants are in as one of the lab workers voice rings into the room. “Our apologies, Doctor Scarlet. We have one more Dragon user that came in a bit late, seems the cops in the area held up our collection team over illegal substances. They let her off but you have to give a full report to them…I’ll fill you in later, her charts say she’s twenty-five, an Ashton Reasce, her Dragon is Oxikinesis. We never got enough time to examine her ability so we have no idea if it’s controllable but we know she can use it…a nurse assistant fainted while she was studying the effects, she is okay now but still…”

“Place her in the room with the others…”

“Thaddeus,” Sasha glares at me, “are you serious, they are supposed to be working together in a safe environment to uncover their Dragon. If Ashton has Oxikinesis that means she sucks the air out of the air.” I give her a flat look while she huffs out her chest and looks back into the room with the others, “Do it, no additional GIR though. We don’t want them suffocating.”

At the flip of a switch she talked to those with the new participant on the stretcher, then back to those still in the room. “One more person will be joining you, but unlike all of you her ability is something we’re not comfortable with her use in this exercise…she isn’t allowed.”

Walking over to Sasha and placing my finger on the switch I move the mic in front of my mouth. I must be stupid, or crazy, one of the two but I this year’s bunch will be able to work this out without any harm done to any of them in this safe environment. Grinning at Sasha as she scoots her chair back I speak to those in the room, Ashton’s body just entering the fray, “A GIR is allowed to her, as is with everyone. But her ability is a bit troublesome, I trust you all to understand the risk that come in this Carnival, but none of you will be hurt, we will stop if need be, but all of you are always at risk when it comes to your Dragon, it eats at you and weakens you, you’ll need food and time to recover from each use. Use it wisely after this.” A seventh GIR is tossed into the room right behind Ashton.

“Papa!” I hear Moka scream with tears in her eye but I smile to this, continuing to talk into the mic.

“Even you Moka, must take the challenge and understand the roll of this Carnival. To give hope to those who have multiple enhancements, to show the world as many have before you guys that enhancements are not a burden, but useful, and most definitely not a weapon, but meant for sport if need be, in a safe, and legal environment.”

My past experiences tell me that those who grew up in the slums like most of these kids aren’t meant to be trusted, but they are the most trustworthy and I know they will feel pride after this, they will show themselves as meaning full, not only themselves, but for us as a whole, for all of New Rise so we all get along and trust one another.

“Wow, a speech from you, so unlike you, yet…” Sasha stands, not speaking anymore and turns away, I know the waterworks are there, she’s just that type and I have always had a way with words. What we went through back then was hell, yet we’ve rebuilt.

Chuckling I turn my gaze back to the room, these kids, they’ll do fine, we can stop it at any time but I want them to learn, see how their enhancements are useful to not just themselves but others as well.

12. 4xdblack

Silver Founder Plus

~Kato~

"I knew this doctor had a strange hard-on for enhanced adolescent teens, but the guy is giving wet dreams a whole new meaning."

The room swirls around in a violent whirlwind of people, GIRs, and water. I can barely contain my own cry for help as the damned water keeps blowing up my nose. Instead I cough and shout several profanities simultaneously. The Doctor keeps wasting his breath on the mic as he speaks to us from behind a one way mirror.

"Enough of this!" I shout.

As I skid and slide against the walls of the room as the winds blow us around, I use the contact of the wall as my foothold. Accelerating, I jump from one side of the room to the other. The inertia keeps me planted on the wall long enough to get traction. I begin to run around the room at speeds high enough to keep me steadily against the walls. I slow down my perception and suddenly the barrage of torrential waters looks suspended as if there were no gravity. I crack a big grin on my face as I watch the spectacle.

Within the floodwaters was one of the GIRs. I quickly snatch it out of the air and shove the end of it into my thigh. Injection was the method right? It releases its contents into me... @#%$ that sounded dirty, damn old pervert... The sudden realization of that caused me to laugh out loud, which was fairly abrupt considering the circumstances. The more I think about it, the more I laugh.

"Ahahaha! A long slender probe made to inject sh*t into us! Ahahaha! You dirty old fart that's genius! Ahahaha! " I yell aloud. "Wait!? Ain't your daughter in here?! You sick bastard! Ahahahaha!"

The effects of the GIR begin to take place. My body starts to heat up uncontrollably. I can see my skin turning a shade of red, and I can see steam blow off my body. It didn't hurt, but rather felt a little warm and fuzzy. My clothes would have burned off had they not been previously drenched.

"How the hell is this supposed to help me old man?!" I yell.

My skin begins to glow a shade of orange yellow, much like glow molten metal left in the crucible. The water that hit my skin immediately turned to steam. The wind only caused more water to hit my skin, and the steam to circulate the room. The wind did not stop, but at least most of the water was gone. But now we had another problem.. I couldn't see sh*t cause of all the damn steam. It was like a friggin sauna! Which really wasn't a bad thing, cause now that the water was gone.. my clothes burned off...

Moe likes this.
  13. Harlequinn

Harlequinn Edgy Teenager

“-In a safe, and legal environment…”

The sound came as a dull ringing of the ears, a harsh echo that reverberated throughout Ashton’s body and roused her to a sense of cloudy wakefulness. But she didn’t hear the words, really. She merely felt their vibrations. There was no meaning - only noise. Everything was dim. Hazy. Cold. Drafty?

Ashton’s eyes shot open.

She was greeted by a scene of pure chaos, a maelstrom of bodies, air, and water - of yelling voices and howling winds. She didn’t know which way was up and which was down, where she was, or what was happening. She couldn’t react - only let the wind jet her in whichever way it pleased, blasting her with relentless gouts of water that denied her breath. She was stunned - completely paralyzed. She felt utterly helpless.

Who were these people around her? Were they all as confused as her? How did they all get here? And what the hell were those flying metal things? Ashton couldn’t raise her voice to ask, as she nearly choked on water when she tried.

“Enough of this!” Came a defiant yell. It was sudden and fierce.

Ashton knew not from which direction, but it came again after a brief moment - it was laughter this time.

"Ahahaha! A long slender probe made to inject sh*t into us! Ahahaha! You dirty old fart that's genius! Ahahaha!”

Ashton could hardly believe someone would be laughing at a time like this - the man must’ve had an impossible sense of humor. But where was he? She looked in every direction she could think of.

"Wait!? Ain't your daughter in here?! You sick bastard! Ahahahaha!"

Finally, she saw him: a young man with long, dark hair. Thin, but fit, moving through the storm as if it came naturally. That was all she could make out, but it was enough. She followed him with her eyes, choosing him as her beacon of sanity as she attempted to pull herself together. He even started to look the part, as his flesh began to suddenly glow a hot red like some sort of brilliant flare.

“How the hell is this supposed to help me old man?!” He yelled as he glowed brighter, now only several arms’ length from Ashton, as water began to harmlessly evaporate off his skin.

“What the hell..?” Was all Ashton managed to mumble out, before she was enveloped in a blast of steam. She quickly covered her face with her arms to protect herself from the heat.

When she finally dared to reopen her eyes, she noticed that visibility had been brought to only several feet. The room was hot and unbearably humid.

“Well, then,” she said aloud. It was all she bothered to say.

#13 Harlequinn, Jul 20, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2016
  14. Randoms

Silver Founder Plus

Lily's eyes slowly opened at first squinting to the brightness of the all white room. Not long after she noticed that she was lying in water. Lily disliked the feeling of her clothes sticking to her back as she sat up in the pool. Not really glancing around, Lily noticed that there were others in the room and that some of them were already awake. Someone began to speak, explaining the situation. Part way through the explanation, Lily noticed she had something pressed against her thigh. Removing the object she found a cigar shaped object.

Before Lily could examine the object, a strong and sudden wind blasted Lily and the abundance of water into the air. Once everyone was thuroughly situated in the air the voice behind the glass spoke again directed at Lily. Lily turned her head towards nowhere in particular as to face the person who addressed her. The person mentioned the GIR and said she had hers already. Looking at the cigar shaped thing still held tight in her grip, Lily deduced must be the GIR. Holding it as gingerly as she could flying around the air, Lily positioned it on her arm.

"Like a shot..." she said to herself, her voice lost to the billowing wind. Pressing it into her skin, she injected the contents into her arm. Not long afterward Lily felt a new power surge through her body. Her mind filled with a frenzy of strange yet very familiar thoughts. She suddenly both learned and remembered her dragon.

Holding out her hands Lily room another glance around the room. Everyone was flying around some trying to get a handle of their movement. A small object soon darted past Lily's head, one of the many GIRs that was released into the room. Trying to focus on it, Lily held held her hand out, grasping it without touching, the GIR was the only stationary thing in the room.

As Lily started to pull the GIR towards herself the intercom spoke again presenting a speech about the intention of the carnival. Along with it came another girl and GIR into the room. Distracted by the speech, the GIR Lily had mentally grabbed remained still floating in mess of airborne water. It was this GIR that one of the others had launched himself to acquire. Within seconds of doing so he turned a hot shade of red seemingly releasing steam from his body as the temperature in the room rose. He the room continued to fill with steam as the man laughed manically. With the water waning and being replaced with steam it became much harder to see the other GIRs.

Lily turned her attention away from the maniacal red man to try to find the other GIRs. The person who spoke over the intercom did say that the others would be needed to help within the room. Perhaps one of the others could stop the wind or remove the steam. Even with relaxing her eyes and focusing the best she could, the heat emanating from the red man and other participants made it near impossible so see the infrared signature of the GIRs.

Looking about in quick motions, Lily snatched GIRs as they passed by. Soon she had managed to pull from the air four of them. Keeping them in an orbit like potion near her body, Lily took on in her hand.

"So I should hand these to the others." She eventually let it go holding onto it telekinetically. As if still deciding what to do she spotted a fifth GIR flying through the air. Pulling it into the small pile she had, Lily sent each one to the others, using her infared sight to guide them. Not knowing who they were Lily sent out the GIRs, waiting until the person took it into their hand before sending the next.

"Take them!" She shouted through the air though the rushing wind might have blew her cry away before reaching anyone's ears.

15. Moe

Moe Fed to the Rancor

(This time it isn't half assed.)
    -Russ Lux-
    Smiling as I whirl about in this room, I am happy to have gotten the chance at such a young age to participate in the Carnival, but I’m worried as to what my Dragon could be. None of us know and that’s quite scary but as Sasha told us that once we acquire the GIR and inject ourselves we’ll know. I just hope mine is cool.

Through the spray of water, I gather that there are seven others, eight if I include myself…wait wasn’t there just six. My thoughts swirling around my mind as well as I try to pay attention again, we were lucky before all this started there was dead silences as Doctor Scarlet explained stuff. Now is a different story.

“Round and around we go, how the hell we’re going to stop, nobody knows,” I chuckle to myself as a voice cries out in all this, a man’s. I don’t think I ever caught his name.

“Enough of this!”

A woman’s voices chime in as well, “Take them.” I can pick her out, yet at the center near the roof of the room, a ball forms.

Squinting, I barely see him jump from wall to wall before swiping at a ball and grabbing what can only be the GIR’s…the good Doctor did say that one person already has theirs so now it’s our turn to grab our GIR.

Wait, he just mentioned a daughter…the daughter of Doctor Scarlet? I thought she was an enigma, so he really has one, then what Sasha told us of her must be true, she’s a very kind person and someone I could be friends with, she told us of her disability and how her enhancements help her, how enhancements are supposed to help everyone if they are poor at one thing or another.

My focus turns from the red man to who the daughter could possibly be and I swear I hear one of the girls yell for their papa, could that be her? But with everything that is happening, my sight is bugged and I focus back on the most prominent thing in the room.

The older looking man who appearance old compare to how I imagen my fellow participates to be. Stabbing the cigar shape object into his thigh and instantly his skin changes to a beet red. In this same instances the whole room begins heating up, the room begins feeling like a sauna as I hear steam coming off the man.

And only moments later his clothe burns away, leaving him naked. “How the hell is this supposed to help me, old man?”

A grin now on my face as pull off my hoodie, I’m not all that attached to it and this won’t work if I have it on. Allowing some excess skin due to my Lizard toy act as windbreakers in this room only occupied with hurricane straight gusts. A small limb sprouting from my waist, the skin connects and I have myself a pair of wings. I honestly have never tried this before, and I only use this rarely due to needing to much meat beforehand. I haven’t had any food in a while so I can’t make it last as I glide myself up to the ball and grab one for myself. And that’s all I get from using the Toy because my gliders are absorbed back into my body and I am again at the mercy of the winds.

Tumbling about, my hoody flies back at me and I’m able to haphazardly put it back on, although cutting my lip in the process from the zipper. This is all within moments after the naked man did his stunts and the others look like they are ready to get out of here.

Jabbing the GIR into my chest I immediately feel everyone in this room, I’m not quite sure how but I do, and what makes me pick up on my own Dragon is that the blood from my lip begins pooling their, like I’m drawing it out of my body. I’m able to us Hematokinesis, how the hell do I know that long word, is that part of the GIR?

Now we’re supposed to help the others in the room, and the only two people that have already done so are whoever yelled take them…Lily was her name, and the naked guy who got rid of all the water and turn the room into a freaking sauna. How am I to help though, what can I do to add to this room?

Still grinning my eyes are wide on the naked man. Yes, I know what I’ll do to help and hide his wee little thing. “Yo! Have some decency!” I yell as I bring my hand to my lip and collect the blood, when I feel I have enough I through the liquid ball at the man’s crouch, stopping it in front and letting it remain there, hiding it.

Meanwhile laughter erupts from the loudspeaker, it’s the Doctor and he announces to the three of us, Kato, the man I’m covering his shame, Lily, the girl who grabbed the extra GIR’s for everyone—who in turn now all have theirs—and I for obvious reasons.

“All three of you will be teleported to the Safe House, there are rooms there matching your old dwellings which you’ll find clothing for yourself and sustainable for each of your Toy’s and Dragon. Enjoy yourselves.”

But as dots flash in front of me, a sign of being teleport, a loud rumbling echoes as I notice, ever so slightly that the room’s walls are coming in, all of them and the rest still need to escape. Good luck to them as my sight turns too white and the next moment Kato, Lily and I are all in the Safe house that the doctor talked about.

#15 Moe, Jul 24, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2016
  16. Randoms

Silver Founder Plus

Joshua flew through the air attempting to maneuver himself into a free falling position only to start tumbling in circles at random intervals. Unlike everyone else who managed to balance themselves, Joshua found it difficult to do so. At least the gusting winds helped dry if the water that soaked through his clothes.

The steam was beginning to fade as the wind continued to rush through the room taking it away. With his vision clearing up Joshua looked to see that fewer people were now stuck in the room. The others who had supposedly found their dragon were teleported out. They must have served their role in the team building exercise.

With a couple more twists of his body, Joshua brough himself out of his tumble and rested on the gusts of wind better. Taking the GIR that he had gripped in his hand he attempted to put it in his thigh. He stopped just before injection out of fear it was going to hurt. Shaking his head he closed his eyes and did it again injecting it.

Within moments of his injection, Joshua felt a warm sensation and a sudden inspiration as to the identity of his dragon. He looked at his hands and then at a wall.

"Holy sh- I can control the air?" He said aloud at no one in particular. Gripping his hands he shouted again.

"Hey! I'm going to get us down!" Joshua then threw out his arm as if he was fighting the wind itself. Nothing happened. With a few more attempts if random poses, he finally got a grasp of what he needed to do. With a clear look of determination and focus, Joshua reversed the wind gradually. Slowly everyone else within the room began to descend. In awe of what he was doing, Joshua forced it at the very end dropping the wind while only a couple meters above the ground.

With the winds sudden disappearance there was nothing pushing anyone into the air. Joshua landed on his behind with a small thud. He grimaced at the shock of his landing. He soon looked around the room and stood up.

"It should be easier to figure out your dragons now. " said Joshua with a hint of anticipation.

#16 Randoms, Jul 28, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
  17. Harlequinn

Harlequinn Edgy Teenager

By the time the steam had cleared and the confusion had died down, Ashton noticed that the group was now short three people. They must’ve been who the loudspeaker was referring to when it mentioned something about teleportation. By this point, it had become fairly obvious to Ashton what they were each supposed to do - there was a clear objective and reward here.

Ashton was hesitant, however. Her power could be anything. What if it was something frightening? She wasn’t someone who enjoyed surprises. While Ashton delayed, the pudgy twenty-something-year-old across the room took his turn to excitedly stick himself with one of the devices.

“Holy sh-! I can control the air!” He joyfully exclaimed. His reaction to all of this was inverse to Ashton’s. “Hey, I’m going to get us down!”

And he did. Soon, the room’s five remaining persons began a steady descent toward the long-awaited ground. That is, until they were harshly dropped over a meter too early. Apparently the guy with the power wasn’t so great at using it yet, as it didn’t seem entirely purposeful (to Ashton at least). Plus, his behind didn’t exactly stick the landing. Ashton might’ve had a laugh - that is, if she hadn’t landed flat on her butt herself.

She winced - a dull ache wracking her pelvis and lower back. “Great. There’s some pain for my ass to go with this headache,” she muttered with chagrin to herself. Though, at the same time, she silently savored the sturdy, reliable touch of a hard surface beneath her - it was almost enough to make her forget that the walls were slowing closing in around them. Almost. She stood as quickly as her sense of balance would allow - wobbly, as if she first had to remember how to stand. After nearly falling again, she wasted no time in addressing the one who’d got them down: “Appreciate it, though. Thanks.”

Brushing her flurried bangs back behind her ears, Ashton would’ve taken the time to survey those in her company, if it hadn’t been that the room around them were steadily approaching an uncomfortably claustrophobic state. Despite that, it was extremely hard to miss the fact that one of the people before her was a full-blown cyclops. She resisted the urge to gawk.

“So we just stick ourselves with these things, yeah?” She asked no one in particular, plucking a GIR from the air in front of her. “Then just see what happens?”

She stared down the needle with an unmistakable look of dread - exactly the same way a child would during a routine vaccination.

“Always hated needles… But-" She started gloomily, and before she had too much time to think about it, Ashton quickly jabbed the syringe through her jeans and firmly into her right thigh. “I hate closed spaces even more.”

She stared hard at the GIR as the fluid within entered her veins. Several anxious seconds passed.

Nothing happened.

Seconds more went by, and all Ashton got was a big, fat load of nothing. Faced with this, she could only be struck dumb as to how anyone knew what it was they were supposed to do from this point onward. Did she miss a team meeting before all this or something? A tutorial, or maybe a pre-game lecture of some sort?

But, before she thought to raise any questions aloud, sudden images and subconscious knowledges began to coalesce within her mind. It was as if the injection had triggered a long-hidden memory - something always there, but temporarily forgotten. However, it was fuzzy and distant, and the images refused to make themselves clear - like if she were only remembering the existence of the image rather than the image itself. She more just knew what her power wasn’t, rather what it was. It wasn’t electricity. It wasn’t rocks. It wasn’t fire. But that’s all she knew.

“What am I… Supposed to do here…?” Perplexed, she looked to the man who’d only just recently demanded the total obedience of the wind. What was she missing?

As she struggled to focus inwardly, she didn’t at all notice that the air around her had become gradually possessed by the slightest of visual distortions - so small and insignificant, that only one who was looking for or otherwise expecting the phenomenon would likely see it. If one were to describe the sight, it might be as a subtle mirage that teased the eye in random intervals.

At first it occurred only less than a foot from Ashton’s body, but the mysterious air-warping field grew with a steady determination - as if a vast network of infinitesimally small creatures was slowly snaking outward, searching for fresh new areas to infest. Though it had an unmistakable beginning - an oblivious Ashton - it was practically impossible to accurately determine its outer limit. It appeared organic - an amorphous, near-invisible bubble that gave a devious illusion of sentience.

While it grew, it was no coincidence that an ambient weight began to fall upon the closed room, the air becoming heavy and oppressive. Though hardly anything visual had happened up until this moment, the air became suddenly agitated around those that were nearest to Ashton - the cyclops and the cop in particular. Clearly visible distortions began to plague the areas just above their skin, angrily warping the air with a hidden, malign intent. It was this sight that finally pulled Ashton back to reality.

But she was clueless, and it showed clearly in her voice: “What the hell is that?”

18. Yajuu_Kikuishi

Not knowing whether Lily had heard his shout, Laurence was glad when the object known as the GIR flew towards him and he could reach out and grab it. Just as his fingers closed around the cigar-sized device, the wind that had been spinning them about suddenly lessened and the figures in the room started to lower towards the ground. When it seemed they could carefully land, whoever was controlling the air suddenly cut it and they dropped the last couple of feet. Luckily for Laurence he had adjusted himself in anticipation of touching down so he landed on his feet and dispersed the impact with a roll.

Laurence stood up with the GIR in his hand and looked around at the other people in the room before a sound attracted his attention and he turned to look at one of the walls which had started to move inwards. A quick look in every other direction told him that their next challenge had already begun, so he did the only sensible thing; he injected himself with the GIR.

Without thinking, Laurence had chosen to inject the GIR into the left side of his chest. For a second, nothing happened and then a strange sensation passed through him; like some kind of information dump. Although it wasn’t perfectly clear, Laurence now had an inkling as to what his Dragon would do for him and by concentrating he found it to be true.

As another of the contenders injected themselves with the GIR, Laurence closed his eyes and focused. He could see, through his mind, every stitch of clothing he wore. Through that, he could see the floor he was standing on. Even through that, he could see the mechanisms behind the walls which were moving them inwards towards the small group of people. Feeling his way around them with his mind, he found that only one thing made sense; he grabbed the mechanisms in an attempt to stop them.

Immediately, the enclosing walls grinded to a halt haphazardly. Laurence felt an instant strain on his mind and he dropped to one knee an caught his breath. He was the furthest away from everyone in the group but he turned his eyes on them.

“I don’t know how long I can hold these, but I hope one of your Dragon’s can help.” He said loudly at the same time one of the others exclaimed in question.

Harlequinn likes this.
  19. Moe

Moe Fed to the Rancor

~Moka Scarlet~
    As everyone familiarizes themselves with their own Dragons and the room begins too thin of the participants, 4 have already teleported. Lily the first to go, alongside her that man that stopped the water, and that other boy, who can use blood. Landing with easy myself, a fourth person vanishes from the room. The one who stopped the air, leaving another girl, two guys, one who seems knocked out while the other claims to be stopping the room from closing in on us.

Never thought my father was so archaic as to use gears but he said everyone has a roll in this room. I wonder what mine is as I eye one of the remaining few GIR’s on the ground. Strolling over, not caring about the others, I put on a worried face. Almost breaking into tears, but not yet, I want my father to noticed how distort I am about these thematic events.

“Papa, please stop this, I’m scared…”

My pathetic appearance shining though, I’ve used this a number of times on my father, easily getting my way but the mic remains quiet. Watching the window, I know them to be in I continue to plead with them, “please, I’m hurt, this isn’t like you papa, how could you throw me in here with a deranged and naked man?”

Nothing…bending over I pick up the GIR, my hands trembling as I watch on, “you…you really want me to inject this in me?” This is getting annoying father, why are you allowing this to continue, aren’t I your precious daughter?

I’m no longer paying attention to my surroundings, a female voice from behinds me asks what the hell is that, and all I can think is how the hell am I supposed to know. “Fine!” I cry, tears flowing down my cheeks. “I play along since you don’t want me to be happy!” I blubber to the window as I knit my brow, showing my father I’m being serious now. My hand no longer trembling trying to get my father to feel sorry for me, rather sturdy as a tree. I jab the GIR into my neck. And what to my surprise do I get? A perfect Dragon that will allow me to control emotions of others, Pathokinesis.

“Father,” I let a little giggle out as I can’t seem to control anyone…at least not in the room here, no he took precautions since this is a team building exercise which hasn’t turned out as he planned, nothing ever does but what has worked is him giving me direct control of her. “Sasha, how are you feeling right now!” My voice louder now so everyone is able to hear me, “is that sadness? Or possible anger?” I feel her emotions swaying, I feel that extreme hatred I’ve always knew she had towards me. “Are you really that mad?”

The gears that boy was holding off, go into overdrive, breaking free of his control as the room close ever quicker, yet with how small the room has gotten, my breathing has become harsh gasps, “Father, you’re not so bright as to stop me again, are you, took you a while last time and that was before I could do this…” The room now closers so there is barely any room for the 4 of us still left.

Stopping, and looking around, I can’t even hum to see what’s going on—what is going on. Gasping I try to connect, try to figure out what’s going on but I can’t. They’re draining the air from the room? Why is father actually trying to kill me!

Fading in and out of consciousness I watch the room a while longer, when his voice enters the room. “It’s done!” My father’s voice comes over the mic as a million specks of light fill my sight and we’re all in an instant teleported out of the room and into the Safe Zone that he mentioned before.

#19 Moe, Aug 1, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2016
  20. 4xdblack

Silver Founder Plus

Kato - The Steaming Hot Streaker

So here I am, standing in the middle of a sleazy bar.. Wearing nothing but underwear, an apron, and an electric guitar on my back.. Got a pig with a nine iron shoved up its ass while it roasts over an open fire using busted up chairs as wood. Drinking 100 year old whiskey as I sprinkle it on my meal. 5 cigarettes in my mouth, and a hundred others burning like incense in the bar. Meanwhile, I've got fermenting sugarcane in my 50 gallon barrel, with punk rock playing in the background.

~10 minutes ago~

"The hell? There's no booze in these bottles?!"

The pervert doctor said something about how our safe house rooms were modeled after our own rooms. Only problem with that is that I don't actually have my own room. Hell, I'm homeless. I don't even have any family to stay with. The only family I have is my emo brother, and he's off in the military being a tryhard nerd. I've been going place to place trying to get into as much trouble as possible. I'm a nomad, an adventurer, a glorified tourist. Staying idle isn't my style. That said, I vaguely recall passing out in this bar before. I guess that's the standard here. The last place you slept is where you're gonna sleep in here. He also said something about there being clothes for us... hell if I know where they are though.

I keep looking around the empty bar hoping to come across something fun. Like weed, or a slinky. I find a phone sitting on the bar... a bright red landline phone. Cords and everything. I thought this was the future? Not even a touch screen? It doesn't have any buttons. I guess the logical thing to do is to put this strange device against my face.

"Hello? Is this room service"

"Yes Mr.Kato. How can I help you today?"

"Oh.. Okay, get a pen and some paper ready. I need a bartender.. Not just any bartender. this guy needs a badass mustache.. Like competition level badass.. But more like 3rd place badass. He's also gotta be fat. I don't trust skinny bartenders. They always end up being vegan and I don't need that kind of negativity in my life right now. And he can't be younger than 40. There's no such thing as a young bartender who isn't a hipster."

"Okay" she says on the other end.

"I also need 50 kilos of sugarcane, a distillery, fast acting yeast, a pig, whiskey that is at least as old as the bartender, a 50 gallon barrel, an electric guitar, a nine iron, a dozen cartons of the cheapest cigarettes you can find, an apron... oh and some underwear."

"Is that all for you?"

"Yes, thank you."

"Alright, your order should arrive shortly."

I hang up the phone and tap my fingers on the bar as I wait. Tick tock listen to this damn clock.. It's been 5 seconds already, what's taking so long? Almost an eternity later(or five minutes, hard to tell), I hear a knock at the door. In comes a bunch of stiffs. Obviously working for the carnival. They brought in everything I had requested.

"I apologize for taking so long. We wanted to make sure the quality of the product lived up to our standards. Everything you've asked for is here."

The first thing I do is inspect the bartender... "Holy sh*t! you got the bartender right! Really, I'm impressed. Though I wish you got here sooner. You should work on that."

"We'll try to do better next time. You clothes are in the wardrobe behind the stage. Anyhoo, I'll leave you to your business." she says, winking at me, as she hands me my underwear... As she walks away all I can think about is... dat ass...

I tie my hair into a ponytail, tighten the apron around my waist, and clench my glutes.

"Well... Time to get busy."