SEO

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by V0ID, Dec 14, 2016.

1. V0ID

V0ID GET THE HELL OFF MY LAWN, YOU DAMN KIDS!!

If I mistype or get relatives close to typing Sakuga City, the forums show up on a google search, but I noticed if I use any of the following: anime forum, anime-forums, anime forums....I only managed to get this site to appear on Page 8 of a google search. I really seems like there should be a little work on the backside of the site so spiders will see this site and show up on the first two or three pages of a search.

SEO is outside of my realm of knowledge, but when I ran my own personal blog on Wordpress, it took very little to get my site up on the first page of a google search.

This could go a good ways in getting some more members/activity on here. Not to be a dick, but SC feels no more active than back when it was AF.

2. Shi

Shi The Aspirer
    Staff Member Administrator Platinum Founder

Just to explain since you don't understand how SEO works:

It's not some magic pill that you take and suddenly you appear on the first page.
    The fact that you searched "anime forums" or a combination of them got us on Page 8 is actually a lot better than you think.

All SEO does is look at terms on a page and ranks them based on traffic and relevancy.

Sakuga City is not advertised as an "anime fourm", thus its low rank makes perfect sense.

With all things considering, most sites appearing at the top of the list in google are sites that have 10-15 years+ of search relevancy compared to SC's 1.

Think about it.
    The top sites have millions of posts with thousands of users.
    SC has 20,000 posts with less than 300 users.

3. KT Samurai

KT Samurai The Peacemaker
    Staff Member Administrator "Owner"

We're working on the activity part and will hopefully have a big announcement later this week.

4. Shannon Apple

Shannon Apple Sour Apple
    Staff Member Administrator

If you search for A4 anime forums, you will find Sakuga City on the front page. That was done deliberately for returning members who can't find us. However, SC is so new that it's going to take time for us to reach the front page in such a popular niche.

If you search "Anime and Gaming forums" we are on the front page. This was how we marketed it. I've done a little work on the SEO to improve our rankings and changing our meta description and title helped it along. It's going to take some time to get Sakuga City up to the level of A4. Remember, that site was 14 years old with a hell of a lot of links and backlinks. We are actually doing extremely well for a 6 month old forum when compared to other sites of the same age. ;) Actually, another anime forum that is the same age and size as A4 and is top of the rankings is very quiet atm. SC is more active than that site which gives an idea of just how well this teeny community is doing.

When that announcement happens, we can talk about it more. ^^

5. KT Samurai

KT Samurai The Peacemaker
    Staff Member Administrator "Owner"

This point is pretty important and, from what I can gather, the biggest surprise to most people coming here from the old forum. We decided to expand our focus so we're not really just an anime site anymore. We're coming at things from a "geek culture" perspective, though with a pretty obvious anime slant due to the site's heritage. We're basically going to do it all; anime, games, cartoons, comics, film, television, all that stuff.

Interest1ng likes this.
  6. V0ID

V0ID GET THE HELL OFF MY LAWN, YOU DAMN KIDS!!

No offense, I do have some idea of how SEO works, I did spend quite a few years maintaining my own website, I'm trying to show my age and be a little humble. And, I can also tell you my own website showed up on page one, within a month of it going live, it's not rocket science.

One of my biggest disappointment, and one of the reasons I waited six months after the move from A-F to create my account was because on the old forums I had been a member for well over seven years, but not active, simply because the forums themselves were dead. I sincerely hoped after the move that things would have picked up to a point where there were years ago, but alas they have not.

One of the reasons I held off on donating was because I wasn't sure, and to be quite honest, still am unsold if things will ever pick up on here. I see very little difference between the activity now, than this time a year ago. So, excuse me if my inquiry hit a nerve. The reply I received sure in hell did.

7. Shannon Apple

Shannon Apple Sour Apple
    Staff Member Administrator

Shian wasn't trying to offend you. He was responding to this part of your post I guess "...SEO is outside of my realm of knowledge..."

We have 250 members. You honestly can't expect a site that is in it's infancy to be overflowing with new posts. We are doing so well. Other forum admins have complimented us on Sakuga City's initial success. I'd like to see more fun topics than mundane news though. I have asked certain offenders to dial back on the number of threads straight from google that no one was interested in as it was making the forums look dead and some people actually stopped posting. I noticed the shift in activity and didn't like it. The site doesn't need so many threads, it needs more activity within threads. Therefore, threads that appeal directly.

People want personal threads with personal opinions from people who are actually excited about up and coming stuff. They want to be able to interact with the thread starter who should be interested in what they just posted. They want to feel like this is a community, not like they're looking at a google index, so I would love to see the same folk put energy into creating 5 awesome threads of their own per week based on stuff that they are interested in themselves. :p

Google rankings don't work the same as they used to. Google have abolished the ranking system, now favouring sites based on mobile access, unique content and so on. If your site was very niche and it's not a popular search term, it's going to go to the front page very quickly. Anime is a very popular search term, so it's not going to happen for us just like that.

wastaz and Novaire like this.