Sports September Manga Club Suggestion Thread!

Discussion in 'Manga' started by Pinky The Blue Flamingo, Sep 2, 2017.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pinky The Blue Flamingo

Staff Advisory Editor Gold Founder

Sakuga City Manga Club
    This months topic, Unusual sports!

[​IMG]

Curling, Sumo, Gymnastics, Go, and even fictional sports are fair game this month for manga topics!
    The only sports excluded are things like, football, baseball, soccer, vollyball (sorry Haikyuu fans), and basketball.

We are also looking for anyone interested in joining us for the cast =)
    We are looking forward to your suggestions!

2. Narilka

Narilka Destroyer of Worlds
    Staff Member Moderator Platinum Founder

The only unusual one I can think of at the moment that is not inappropriate for the site, hehe, is:
    Chihayafuru

It is a josei/ sport manga that uses the Japanese card game Hyakunin Isshu.

3. Kerberos

Kerberos genki moe blob
    Staff Member Moderator

Er...I think you mean Karuta...

I've only seen the anime but they play karuta in the anime. But yeah Chihayafuru is suuuper good, I actually recently recommended the anime in my review for Kids on the Slope (which is also super good but not a sports anime/manga)

4. Kerberos

Kerberos genki moe blob
    Staff Member Moderator

As for my suggestions, I had a hard time shifting through all the awesome series I found but I eventually I found five series that I felt are the most promising, so here goes:

Hikaru no Go
    A long running shonen series about a kid who's super good at playing...Go. Yes Go that super convoluted quintessentially Japanese thinksport. I am really intrigued to see how the usual long running shonen formula will be adjusted to fit a story that has nothing to do with fighting and power ups and instead with logical thinking and strategy. Also this manga is drawn by Takeshi Obata, the same guy that drew Death Note and last month's All You Need is Kill.
    https://myanimelist.net/anime/135/Hikaru_no_Go?q=hikaru no

Real
    This manga is drawn by Takehiko Inoue, the author of the uber popular basketball manga Slam Dunk and once again focusses on basketball but a very specific subset of basketball: wheelchair basketball. It follows the lives of three teenagers and how they deal with life after having become disabled as well as folloing their wheelchair basketball career. Where Slam Dunk was an over the top battle shonen with larger than life characters Real is a starkly realistic seinen that's been known for ripping people's hearts out. Real is often regarded as Inoue's magnum opus and has recieved universal acclaim from fans and critics alike.
    https://myanimelist.net/manga/657/Real?q=real

Yawara - A Fashionable Judo Girl
    While I admit Judo isn't that uncoventional a sport being an olympic sport and all it is pretty rare to have a sport manga that features a female protagonist. Yawara - A Fashionable Judo Girl is a comedic sports manga about a college student who's extremely good at Judo except she doesn't like it and instead aspires to have an ordinary life. It follows her exploits as she trains with Japan's all female Judo team for the olympics and slowly begins to gain a greater appreciation for the sport. This manga was written and drawn by none other than the great Naoki Urasawa who would later go one to write and draw highly acclaimed works such as Monster, Pluto and 20th Century Boys. However this is the manga that put him on the map, being a critical and commercial succes at the time, the 90s anime adaptation by Studio Madhouse is regarded as a true classic and something of a hidden gem so I'm really excited to check out the original manga.
    https://myanimelist.net/manga/853/Yawara?q=yawara

Welcome To The Ballroom
    So you know that anime that's currently airing that's kind of a cult hit right now? Well guess what? It's based on a manga and Ballroom Dancing I think is about as unconvetional a sport as you can find. I haven't seen the anime myself yet but I heard really good things about it and I'm intrigued to check out the manga it's based on.
    https://myanimelist.net/manga/48347/Ballroom_e_Youkoso?q=welcome to the

Ping Pong

One of the most highly acclaimed anime of the last few years is Ping Pong - the animation, which was the adaptation of this particular manga. part of that critical acclaim probably has to do with the fact that it was directed by Masaaki Yuasa and he could direct a Trump commercial and it would still be praised as the best anime of the decade. The original manga on the other hand was authored by none other than Tayou Matsumoto the author of the citically acclaimed, award winnign Tekkon Kinkreet and a personal favourite of mine: Takemitsu Zamurai. Like the anime it's gotten near universal acclaim with some fans claiming it far exceeds the anime. having seen (a third of) the anime I'm really intwerested in checking this out.
    https://myanimelist.net/manga/5744/Ping_Pong?q=ping pong

So that's about it as far as my recommendations go. I think this is one of the most promising months we've had as imo all five of these series have the potential to be freaking amazing and regardless of which one gets picked I am absolutely on board.

#4 Kerberos, Sep 3, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2017
  5. Kuze

Kuze Review Bot Reloaded 2.0
    Contributor

I got some soccer manga but yeah even I don't think they're all that worth a shot. REAL sounds interesting though. I think I've heard of it.

6. Narilka

Narilka Destroyer of Worlds
    Staff Member Moderator Platinum Founder

Hyakunin Isshu Karuta is the card game that they used in the anime, at least in the episodes I saw. It looks like there are different versions based on the collection of poems. The link below discusses a little bit of it's history and how to play.

http://web-japan.org/kidsweb/cool/12-03-15/

7. 4xdblack

4xdblack Accomplished Booty-Cop
    Silver Founder Plus

Why is it that all the genres so far are what I never read? lol

Choose battle shonen or martial arts for one month and I'm yer boy.

8. Pinky The Blue Flamingo

Staff Advisory Editor Gold Founder

Martial arts are considered a sport though lol

9. Kerberos

Kerberos genki moe blob
    Staff Member Moderator

We read a battle shonen in our first month. We read Noragami then. (and loved the shit out if)

And yeah like @Pinky The Blue Flamingo said, some martial arts are considered sports. In fact I just recommended a manga about Judo.

10. 4xdblack

4xdblack Accomplished Booty-Cop
    Silver Founder Plus

Not always. depends on the manga. I suddenly feel like reading Holy land again...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.