Server Move, Once Again

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Shi, Feb 19, 2017.

1. Shi

Shi The Aspirer
    Staff Member Administrator Platinum Founder

It's no secret that we're having connectivity issues here and there. While it wasn't nearly as bad as it was on our previous host where sections of the world was unable to reach Sakuga City, our current host is just not having a grand ol' time off and on throughout the day. Luckily, we only paid for a short period of time with our current host to make sure it's what we wanted and unfortunately, it is not. On the next cycle (which is soon), the site will move to a new host once again.

KT and I have worked out an arrangement where we'll reduce the cost of the site significantly (I'll be eating some of the costs as well) while gaining access to a few new goodies such as a dedicated IP Address and SSL Certifications so we can start securing our connections.

I'll be taking more charge of handling the technical aspects, including dealing with host support while gaining more access to debugging what is going on with the site when we hit downtime.

Hopefully, this move will be the last one.

I do plan on doing the move on Monday (February 20th, 2017), the site may be down for as long as 24 hours. However, I don't think it should take that much time at all.

OctalKey likes this.
  2. Kuze

Kuze 『WANTED』
    Contributor

In yo face Not Secure in yo....um k glad that's sorted out.

3. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

thanks for all your hard work shi.

4. Shi

Shi The Aspirer

I'm going to have to push this back to Wednesday (February 22nd). Real life happened, so I'm not going to be able to perform the move until then.

5. Shi

Shi The Aspirer

I apologize again, I have to push back. I'm really really sick atm and can't muster the energy to sit at my computer for several hours to perform this move.

6. Lucian Hodoboc

Shouldn't the new hosting company take care of the site migration? That's usually how they did whenever I moved my forums from one host to another.

7. Shannon Apple

Shannon Apple Sour Apple
    Staff Member Administrator

Ah, we never updated this. We didn't move at the time and opted to stick with the host for a few more months and see how things fair out. The plan was to move to something that we will have more control over, a dedicated server that would only be shared with sites that admins actually own. Shian was ill at the time and the hosting was running out, so the only option was to renew and run with it for a while. Ironically, the server outages have been very few since. XD.

Sometimes, yes, they will do it for you, but we have our own people who know what they're doing aka Shian. :) I doubt they would be all that happy with us for leaving their company to move elsewhere. XD.

8. Dunn x Dolo

Dunn x Dolo King of the Chatroom
    Silver Founder

Being Ill is never a valid excuse. Punishment must be issued at once!!!!

What can we expect with the new sever move? Dunno what hocus pocus shian did but I haven't been having any problems since the great 400 Error of 2017.

9. Shannon Apple

Shannon Apple Sour Apple
    Staff Member Administrator

I've noticed some minor glitches myself, but it's nothing I can't live with. I think the server is paid for until July or August, then we'll be looking at options again. ^^ Basically, when it happens, it will be a move to a server that Shian has much more control over. Hosting companies tend to restrict a lot of things on shared servers, but you can't blame them for that.

We'll let you guys know exactly what we're doing when the time comes for sure.