She-ra and the Princesses of Power (2018)

Discussion in 'Western Animation' started by Shannon Apple, Aug 6, 2018.

1. Shannon Apple

Shannon Apple Sour Apple
    Staff Member Administrator

[​IMG]
    Initial She-ra character re-design that caused uproar (Seems like the line-art was fan coloured).

Vox Article: https://www.vox.com/2018/7/18/17585950/she-ra-redesign-controversy-netflix

Now, this made me laugh so hard. No, seriously, just read that article, it's hilarious. She-ra, while I may have been 3 years old at the time of it's initial 1980's release was my main childhood hero. It was more than likely on TV at a later point, when I was a little older. I barely remembered the cartoons themselves, but always remembered her. Most cartoons from the 80s that were aimed at girls taught us that we were weaker than boys etc. She-ra didn't. She was the "princess of power" and she made me feel that girls could do anything they wanted.

She kinda set the bar for me, even at a very young age. I wouldn't watch girly cartoons because I felt that they were dumb. I didn't realise it at the time because I was too young, but they were insulting my intelligence. They were condescending. "Boys" cartoons were much more awesome. Only girly-ish thing I watched was the care bears, because come on, they were kinda cool. XD

Going back to the article above, and fan reactions. She-ra was a show aimed at girls to begin with. I watched He-man anyway, but She-ra opened up the franchise more toward girls. I'm sure that it wasn't really intended to be fap material for grown men to begin with. Grown men are now complaining that in the Netflix version, she's no longer sexy, that they can only fap to memories from their childhood. Boo-hoo.

It's airing on Netflix from 16th November.

Some images from the new show:
    Bright-Moon-1024x576.jpg
    Catra-and-Adora-1024x575.jpg
    She-Ra-1024x576.jpg

2. Dunn x Dolo

Dunn x Dolo King of the Chatroom
    Silver Founder

This is actually pretty awesome. I remember She-ra from my childhood as well. I was actually surprised this hadn't had a remake till now.

If guys are seriously complaining because she aint sexy then they really need to move out of their moms basements and just get a life. I like the art direction they went with it. Ill probably watch it.

Shannon Apple likes this.
  3. Kuze

Kuze Heaven's not enough
    Contributor

Where's my Netflix Power Puff Girls Movie: Vengeance of Mojo Jojo at? WHERE IT AT?

4. Oh Snape

Oh Snape House Bantsratheon
    Staff Member Moderator

Pfffft Cheetara was way hotter.

Anyway, I'll check it. Getting ever so slight Samurai Jack vibes from animation. I still need to finish that show.

Shannon Apple likes this.
  5. KT Samurai

KT Samurai The Peacemaker
    Staff Member Administrator "Owner"

Art direction looks great, really looking forward to seeing what this looks like in motion.