SONY to buy crunchyroll

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by yoda313, Oct 31, 2020.

1. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

2. Kuze

Kuze Heaven's not enough
    Contributor

AT&T been looking to offload Crunchy for a while now.

3. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

I wonder if there would be any anti competition complaints raised for this. There's always a review process of course. I wonder if there was going to be any issues for Microsoft to buy bethesda. I followed that when it happened but didn't see any potential blocks to the acquisition.

4. Shannon Apple

Shannon Apple Sour Apple
    Staff Member Administrator

Uh oh, probably gearing up to release yet another streaming service in competition with Netflix where they'll incorporate Crunchyroll.

5. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

I think they'd rather bundle it with playstation now. They already have a streaming platform.

Shannon Apple likes this.
  6. Griffmeister

Griffmeister What the hell are you staring at?
    Gold Founder

Let’s see, $957m purchase price with 3m paid subscribers. Are they going to raise the subscription price to $30 a month to recoup that in one year?

7. Red_Dragon

Red_Dragon Famous Member
    Platinum Founder

This is a smart move by Sony.

PlayStation has a huge Weeabo fanbase.

8. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

Goes naturally with their huge jrpg collection. Though I saw a headline thar sony is apparently trying to appeal to the Western gamers more leading to disenfranchised developers. That led to a rumor of Microsoft trying to nab a few. I'd love to see more jrpgs on Xbox. I have all three systems but I primarily game on Xbox.

9. Kuze

Kuze Heaven's not enough
    Contributor

Crunchyroll has announced that Sony's Funimation Global Group will acquire Crunchyroll. Funimation's website also confirmed the acquisition. Sony reports that the purchase price is US$1.175 billion, to be paid in cash at closing. None of the companies have provided any further details about the acquisition, and the deal is still awaiting regulatory approvals and other conditions.

10. Grungie

Grungie Established Member
    Contributor

Sony owns a good chunk of those IP's in Japan, and also it hopefully would remove splitting shows between Cunchy and Cunimation, because why have both still open when you own both?

11. Kuze

Kuze Heaven's not enough
    Contributor

The U.S. Justice Department has extended its antitrust review of Sony's proposed US$1.175 billion acquisition of Crunchyroll from AT&T. The Information notes that the review, which seeks to determine if the deal would give Sony dominance over anime streaming, could delay the sale by several months and could also potentially kill it.

Justice Department attorneys are reviewing the deal to see if it would give Japanese animation studios fewer options to distribute shows in the U.S. The Information adds that the review could take six months or longer, and that if the department does not approve the merger, it could sue to block it.

Source: ANN

12. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

I'm curious with Microsoft getting approval to acquire bethesda i wonder if there is any impact on the Sony case. I know its a different market but it was a huge acquisition.

Still would prefer to keep the system as it is currently.

13. Kuze

Kuze Heaven's not enough
    Contributor

Sony Pictures Entertainment and AT&T has announced that Sony's Funimation Global Group has completed its acquistion of Crunchyroll from AT&T. The purchase price was US$1.175 billion, and the proceeds were paid in cash at closing.

AT&T expects to use the proceeds from this transaction to help support its debt reduction efforts.