Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse

Discussion in 'Film & Television' started by Neji195, Nov 27, 2018.

1. Neji195

Neji195 Not your average "Newbie"

[​IMG]

Anyone else as excited as I am to see this film? I went to a short screening at MCM Comic Con in the U.K. and was blessed to see the first 40 minutes and it was fantastic! It's truly a moving comic piece; from Biggie being in the soundtrack to web-slinging in jordans, to Stan Lee's tear dropping cameo. I urge you to go see it!

2. ReymousFumes

ReymousFumes Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Nerd
    Contributor

Saw the reviews and I'm definitely very excited. Was initially skeptical that it might be style over substance, and the idea of massive crossovers definitely didn't appeal to me if you've ever read one of my Spider-Man articles addressing this.

But I think the thing that ultimately won my confidence over was a review by Browntable talking about how it embodied the spirit of what being Spider-Man was all about, and that was kinda refreshing to see after a string of mediocre Spider-Man films trying to do their own thing that missed the point of the character. So yeah, definitely hyped to see this after seeing all these favorable reviews. I think the fact that the writers of "The Lego Movie" (Phil Lord and Christopher Miller) wrote the screenplay also played a huge role in me being enthusiastic, considering how unique the script to that movie turned out to be.

Will probably write a new article review just for this film. I have a feeling the headline might be something along the lines of "Spider-Verse Done Right". Hearing about the storyline, it definitely seems like an improved version of Dan Slott's messy crossover, with the focus being more on the character development of each individual Spider-Man rather than spread the screen time over dozens of them. Also, something that I must mention: Peter Parker seems to actually have a more important role to play here than in the Spider-Verse comic book (rather than looking like a useless sidekick), so that's already a vast improvement in itself.

Off topic note: And no, that means I won't bother finishing my Spider-Verse comic book review. Sorry. :p Not worth my time and effort.

3. tripplej

tripplej Well-Known Member

I am interested in seeing this upcoming film.

4. Neji195

I'm seeing it tomorrow but seeing the first 40 minutes of it at a comic con screening made me very excited. I do think it's at the heart of what being spider-man is about and watching young naive Miles Morales figure his life out is bittersweet. It's not mediocre in any sense, I can't wait to see what you think about it.

ReymousFumes likes this.
  5. ReymousFumes

ReymousFumes Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Nerd
    Contributor

I've seen it yesterday (13th December), but felt too lazy to really write a review, because a) I have a lot to say, but can't really put it together in a coherent manner for a neat and organized review, and b) yes, I didn't really like the film that much. "That much." I don't hate or even dislike the film, but it does feel rather busy with its numerous and unnecessary cameos of other Spider-Men when it could have easily worked with three. I hate side characters that don't serve a purpose other than for comic relief, and this is definitely one of those movies (Guardians of the Galaxy, another popular film I also didn't like, has a similar problem).

I think the thing is, if I had not known that much about the backstories of Spider-Man Noir or Peni Parker, I wouldn't have been as disappointed as I was about how the film treated them (especially the flanderized Noir Spider-Man played by Nicolas f-ing Cage of all people, the horror). I understand that it's a kids film, so they couldn't make it too dark or edgy, but damn, Noir got totally destroyed, and he was one of my favorite Spider-Men in the comics. And I couldn't give a shit about Peni either, in spite of that sad scene she was thrust into, which is a shame because her story in Spider-Verse was one of the most unique one. The multiple references to Evangelion, Ghost in the Shell, and even Gurren Lagann were so much fun in the comic, something which the film could barely pull off even with its highly-praised comic booky animation style.

Might write a review in the future, might not. This isn't really a crossover film per se, or at least not a good one. It's a much better coming of age film than it is a crossover film, meaning that only Miles Morales' character arc is the only one that really mattered, and the only one holding up the film for me. The rest might as well be filler comedy material.

7/10. Not bad, but definitely disappointing.

6. tripplej

We saw the movie last night. The entire family enjoyed it.

I know this is a "kids" movie so my mind was set for wanting to see a kids movie, something like "Ralph Breaks the Internet" , etc.

For what it was, it was fun for all of us. :)

7. Neji195

I have to see it at least one more time before it leaves the Box Office. I'm completely in love with it and in my opinion; the best Spidey movie we have so far.

8. tripplej

The best part was at the end post credits, nobody in the theater left. People know when watching anything with marvel that you have to wait till the very end (post credits) to get the special extras. :)

9. Kuze

Kuze 『Ole Ole Ole』
    Contributor

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-verse Japanese Theme Song

P.S. RED by TK (from Ling tosite sigure)

10. Pass_the_M

Pass_the_M Senior Member

been meaning to see this but im sooo lazy regarding going to the movies. lol

11. Neji195

I'm so happy the movie won and I kind of knew it, the animation was groundbreaking and the movie was just extremely well done.