Stephen King's "It" remake

Discussion in 'Film & Television' started by Dunn x Dolo, Jun 2, 2016.

1. Dunn x Dolo

Dunn x Dolo King of the Chatroom
    Silver Founder

source:
    http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/ste...ings-it-remake-now-confirmed-for-2017-release

I have been keeping up with this for some time now. I am really anxious to see how this comes out since "It' is probably my favorite out of all the Stephen king movies, and one of the top books I read from him. I'm a little worried about how Pennywise the clown will turn out since Tim Curry played it perfectly in my eyes.

Anybody else looking forward to this remake?

2. Scruffie

Scruffie Pro Tarantula Bro-Fister
    Editor

Ugh I know. Apart from the ending, it's a decent adaptation, but Tim curry was truly what made it great.

I imagine a nightmare on elm street remake type approach, where they take a lot of the campiness out of it and try to make it more serious which I don't think will work.

Stephen King films generally have that king-vibe to them (you always know it's S.K when you're watching it), at least the horror ones do, and I'd like that element to remain.

I'll definitely see it, but my hopes aren't high

3. Kuze

Kuze 『Ole Ole Ole』
    Contributor

Even though I enjoyed the original film I'm not so sure how a remake would fare cause cheap jump scares is not what "It" is about. Anyways I'll be waiting for this eagerly. They better not cut this line out though:

BEEP BEEP Richie! They ALL float down here. When you're down here with us, you'll float too!

4. Struggler

Struggler Sapient Meat
    Platinum Founder

I wonder if they'll keep the 11 year old gang bang in this adaptation.

Dunn x Dolo likes this.
  5. Scruffie

Editor

Right?

Still up there with one of the most fucked up things I ever read.

I hope Stephen King got put on some kind of watch list after that

Dunn x Dolo likes this.
  6. cberg

cberg Active Member
    Silver Founder Plus

It is one of my favorite Stephen King film adaptations. I don't really think it needs a remake or what new spin a remake could even bring to the table. I'm dubious but I'll keep an open mind.

7. Struggler

Struggler Sapient Meat
    Platinum Founder

There's more to be explored with It's background, where it came from, and what It is. It's pretty Lovecraftian, actually. I also wonder how much focus will be put on certain symbolism and crossover between It and King's Dark Tower movie that is also being filmed currently, and if they'll knowingly place even more significance on some things. Probably not, but we'll see.

8. Oh Snape

Oh Snape House Bantsratheon
    Staff Member Moderator

A 4 part mini series would've been the way to go. Or like a HBO tv movie in 2 parts or something.

Big screen remake? Nah, not feeling it. Also, Tim Curry was awesome in Clued Up.

9. Novaire

Novaire Serial Editor
    Editor Contributor Gold Founder

Tim Curry is in my favorite film, Clue and he's fantastic in it, so I've become something of a fan of his.

I cant say I was ever huge on the miniseries of It though, I haven't read the book, but I wouldn't say it warrants or needs a remake particularly.

#9 Novaire, Jun 4, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
  10. Shadow Fox

Shadow Fox Enemy of the State
    Gold Founder

I remember most of the It movie, I remember when I was like 5 and wanted to watch the whole thing and saw the bathroom scene with the balloons in that girls bathroom and my parents forced me out of the room, even though I thought it was the coolest freaking thing in the world what I was watching right then. So, I got a few good memories tied with the movie and how I though about it when I was young, it was scary but fun at the same time and after the ghost busters, robocop, and just all of these other "remakes" that they are doing-I am getting quite sick and tired of it all to be honest.

It is like instead of coming up with something innovative and unique, the movie industry has fallen on doing remakes and cash grabs like the next super hero movie.

11. DEADWAVE

DEADWAVE Numb

Eh. Not sure why a remake is necessary but whatever.

Original was brilliant, and Tim Curry played Pennywise brilliantly. The new clown's gonna have some tough competition.

12. Kuze

Kuze 『Ole Ole Ole』
    Contributor

BEEP BEEP Richie!!! First look at Pennywise from the new remake slated for 2017.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Full costume:

[​IMG]

13. Novaire

Novaire Serial Editor
    Editor Contributor Gold Founder

Am I the only one who sees that as far more laughable than scary? I cant say I've ever found Pennywise especially scary, but there's at least a sufficient dose of creepiness in his appearance. This version looks more like someone I'd have gone to school with.

14. Struggler

Struggler Sapient Meat
    Platinum Founder

I don't know about the new Pennywise design yet. Pennywise is just a clown, not a "scary" clown, unless It's trying to be scary. This new design looks like it's supposed to look creepy all the time, which isn't the point. But it also might just be the way that image is made, all dark and smoky and shit. Let's see him in a properly-lit setting without the goofy facial expression and then I'll be able to judge it a little better. As it is in that image, It looks stupid.

15. Oh Snape

Oh Snape House Bantsratheon
    Staff Member Moderator

Looks funny but...I don't know it could be super creepy with the right voice and mannerisms.

16. Narilka

Narilka Destroyer of Worlds
    Staff Member Moderator Platinum Founder

I agree, why the need for a remake? Is the new actor for Pennywise really going to do better than Tim Curry? I have huge doubts, but I am Tim Curry fan, and I will probably be super critical just based on that.

Dunn x Dolo likes this.
  17. Dunn x Dolo

Dunn x Dolo King of the Chatroom
    Silver Founder

I already dont like the clown because they are going for pure scary. What made penny wise so good in the original was the fact that it looked liked a regular clown but Tim Curry's acting made him creepy.

For fuck sakes they could have at least given him a real clown nose. That painted shit sucks.

Narilka likes this.
  18. Struggler

Struggler Sapient Meat
    Platinum Founder

It's the year of Tim Curry remakes, apparently. The It miniseries is getting a film adaptation "remake," while oddly enough the Rocky Horror Picture Show is getting a TV special "remake" (he's got a cameo as the Criminologist, though), and then there's also a remake of Clue.

19. Scruffie

Editor

Apparently Pennywise is now all forehead.

I dunno, I agree with @Dunn x Dolo. Pennywise wasn't scary because he looked scary. He was scary because of his mannerisms. Because you coukd see why kids would find him appealing. This one... no kid would go anywhere near him.

This changes the whole idea of Pennywise.

20. Mr. Mister

Mr. Mister Is Breaking Down

I agree with what other people are throwing down. The horror of Pennywise was that he looked like a regular clown, but the kids knew he was a monster and a killer. Every little thing he did further cemented this. But to anyone else, he was just a clown. That's the horror in him. Only those who can see past the makeup know what a monstrosity he is. This new Pennywise, it ruins that. He looks like a monster and a killer. That defeats the purpose of him.

Narilka likes this.