General Stereotype Bashing

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Shannon Apple, Aug 16, 2018.

1. Shannon Apple

Shannon Apple Sour Apple
    Staff Member Administrator

I came across this quite by accident today. I don't often watch Saturday Night Live, but I watch the odd one here and there. I definitely missed the Saoirse Ronan "Oirish" episode.

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/...night-live-is-unfunny-paddywhackery-1.3314837

She's young, so her actions on there are totally forgiveable. She didn't write that stuff, some American who clearly knows very little about us wrote it. That much is clear. Being only 23, Saoirse was so excited to be hosting SNL, that she overlooked the pure paddywhackery involved in that Aer Lingus sketch. None of it was funny. It was actually vomit inducing. Being so young, I really don't think she imagined how this would go down back home. It went down bad. I have been looking up the reactions from Ireland. No one is blaming her though, they're blaming the material she was given.

Shows like Father Ted and Mrs Brown make fun of the Irish and play on Irish sterotypes, but they do it from an Irish perspective, that's why we find them so funny. Foreigners find these shows funny too of course, but if they looked closely they'd see certain things are not played with because they are just not acceptable. Mrs Brown is a working class Irish Mammy, obviously she's over exaggerated and quite crude at times, but it's great. There's no paddywhackery involved because they're written by people from Ireland.

What's paddywhackery? It's basically slapping Irish people with negative stereotypes, often untrue and tactless. The biggest one is making fun of the potato famine that killed or displaced over half of our population. That's a sore spot in our history. You don't mock something that wiped out millions of people. We're a nation of very laid back people and we do have a sense of humour. There are some things that you don't do, and this one always angers me as well. I have told people directly on A4 and SC who used that sterotype on me. The thing is, they didn't understand why it was wrong until I explained it.

SNL is so left wing in other ways, I just don't understand why bashing other cultures like that is considered okay. I don't know if they've done something similar to another country, but I just felt like addressing this. If we as a planet are to truly be accepting of each others cultures, we really have to think about what certain symbols mean to them. Do your research on origins of stereotypes and avoid insulting entire nations if you're ever writing an article, sketch or whatever the case is.

2. Oh Snape

Oh Snape House Bantsratheon
    Staff Advisory

Anyone else read that article in an Irish accent?

And that is some seriously lazy writing from the SNL crew. Hopefully they didn't waste her talents for the rest of it.

Shannon Apple likes this.
  3. The_Archangel

The_Archangel Shadowbanned

Yeah that was a pretty terrible sketch. The accents sounded like they were trying to mock that leprechaun from Lucky Charms.

4. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

I dont watch late night talk shows or snl. Never have never will. And your right shananon seems pretty selective for them.

5. Dunn x Dolo

Dunn x Dolo King of the Chatroom
    Silver Founder

I stereotype like a boss LOL.

However, there are some things that you just aren't supposed to joke with or use as jokes especially when it comes to things like this. You wouldn't go to japan and make jokes about the Hiroshima bombing. A Caucasian person wouldn't go to an African American and make jokes about slavery. These are really touchy subjects that affected a country in a very serious way and nobody should make that the brunt of their jokes for some stupid skit.

Then again this is America and we are idiots.

6. Pass_the_M

Pass_the_M New Member

More of a reason for me to continue not liking SNL.

7. Grungie

Grungie Well-Known Member
    Contributor

SNL probably did it because in some left wing circles, there's ethnicities that are okay to bash on stereotypes. It's kind of weird, yet also hypocritical, where they'll dogpile someone for assuming a black guy is into rap, but you'll find those same individuals making comments about Asians being bad drivers, and Brits not knowing that toothbrushes exist.

The reasoning is based on the fact that if it's against a privileged minority, or against white people, it's socially acceptable, and they probably deserve it. Though I would assume that if you're trying to be socially progressive, shouldn't you be against all of this?

yoda313 likes this.