Sci-Fi Stranger Things

Discussion in 'Film & Television' started by BuddyLee, Jul 18, 2016.

1. BuddyLee

BuddyLee Senior Member

So, a new Netflix original series, Stranger Things, recently had its first season released.

I'm four episodes in and it's a pretty great show. It's part mystery, part sci-fi, and even has a bit of horror/thriller mixed in. The child actors in it are actually really good, and there's no need to say this is quite unusual.

Has anyone been watching it?

2. Struggler

Struggler Sapient Meat
    Platinum Founder

After seeing a number of recommendations on fakbuk I was planning on beginning it soon, probably tomorrow if possible.

3. Enies

Enies Famous Member

Seems a bit cliche or like tv networkish type of show, has potential to be mediocre. I'll give it a watch since I've been looking for new tv shows.

4. Oh Snape

Oh Snape House Bantsratheon
    Staff Member Moderator

It Sounded like one of the better kids shows from the 90's when I first heard about it. I am hoping for some Eeerie Indiana and Secret World Of Alec Mack vibes when I finally check it.

5. WubbaLubbaDubDub

WubbaLubbaDubDub Well-Known Member
    Contributor Gold Founder

This show was on point! It was seriously awesome. I sat down on Sunday night and didn't stop until I had to be up for work in 4 hours; needless to say the series was finished and it was more than worth being tired.

If you haven't watched this yet you need to get your life together and start it ASAP.

6. J4sm1n4

J4sm1n4 The Queen of Hell and Heaven
    Contributor

Wow this was dope! I watched it at night so I was a bit scared that I even barricaded my door with a chair and a basket filled with random stuff. I hope there will be season 2. I really loved this Tv series.

7. Novaire

Novaire Serial Editor
    Editor Contributor Gold Founder

I watched the first three or so episodes? I cant remember exactly. It has been excellent, well deserving of the praise I've seen. Looking forward to getting back into it.

8. Kerberos

Kerberos genki moe blob
    Staff Member Moderator

I'm watching it right now. I can see this going two ways: either I'm gonna be binging all night and not going to bed or...I'm gonna pass out from sleep deprivation in a few hours and finish it tomorrow night. I''m hoping for the former.

Really awesome show. Will gush much more about it once I'm done.

#8 Kerberos, Jul 25, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2016
  9. Struggler

Struggler Sapient Meat
    Platinum Founder

It was really good.

10. Kerberos

Kerberos genki moe blob
    Staff Member Moderator

So alas I didn't finsh all of it last night. I passed out around three after finishing episode six but when I got up I finished the remaining two. Honestly there's not much I can say about this besides that it was really really awesome. I can't even exactly describe what makes this show as good as it is without going heavily into spoiler territory. Suffice to say that the overall quality of the show is far above average. The writing, the visual direction, the soundtrack (which is wonderfully retro) and especially the acting performance. Everything is a significant notch above the norm.

I spicifically want to give a big shoutout to Charlie Heaton who shares most of his screentime with Winona Ryder but completely holds his own in every scene he has with her. The guy's younger than me but seems completely undaunted in the face of working ith this world famous Hollywood actress with many many years of experience. Now that deserves a round of applause.

As for the characters themselves: at first I was mostly interested in David Harbour's sheriff character. Mostly because I rememberd him from Manhattan, a show a few years back which I liked a lot (but got cancelled after a desasrus second season) and he remained one of my favourite characters throughout the season, but before the end of the first episode I also got very engrossed in the middle schoolers storyline, because they were so likeable without being flawless and their role in the story was much more realistically done than I expected. Than from about halfway through my favourite storyline actually became the high schoolers arc which at first seemd to go nowhere but then suddenly became incredibly cool and badass.

As for the plot, there's not a lot I can say without some spoilers but let me suffce to say that it starts off promising and then builds and bulds to a huge climax. Though don't expect complete closure by the end cause they're clearly setting this up to run for for multiple season

@Oh Snape: That's what I thought it was gonna be but it's really not something I'd show kids tbh. I'd say it's more of a mix between The X Files and Twin Peaks. If I had to give it an age demographic I'd say older teens and up. This is a show that requires strong nerves and a strong stomach.

Here's a trailer to give you some idea of what the show is like:

tripplej likes this.
  11. Dunn x Dolo

Dunn x Dolo King of the Chatroom
    Silver Founder

Yeah I ended up watching about 3 episodes in because my wife had it on just for background noise while she was on facebook. Ended up getting into it though. The story is very good and the actors are great.

12. Narilka

Narilka Destroyer of Worlds
    Staff Member Moderator Platinum Founder

I just watched the first episode, and I almost didn't watch it just because I have never liked Winona Ryder's voice. But she sounds different, for the better. Those nerdy kids are so cute, lol.

13. triforceguy1

triforceguy1 New Member

I loved it and can't wait for the next season... Though I do admit I slept with the lights on for a few nights because of it.
    I loved all the little throwbacks to 80's film and TV, heck, even the banner art on Netflix has that stylisation!
    I love how the monster was actually (most of the time) a guy in a suit with animatronic parts, I love it when TV and movies use practical effects like that!
    And just look at the opening credits

I'm just going to put some spoilers here for those who have seen the entire first season. If you want to open that spoiler, watch the damn show :p

Do you think Nancy should've gotten back with Steve? That's a hard question for me, though reading an interview on variety did open things up a bit. Apparently he was supposed to be a douchebag straight to the end, but they loved how the actor portrayed the character so much, they rewrote the character a bit and asked, "What if he was just in the wrong group?" Anyone else can't wait until his 'friends' get visited by PetalHead?

Why do you think the Sherrif was leaving those eggo in that box (leggo my eggo... sorry, couldn't exist)? I see two reasonings behind this. Either Hopps feels guilty and remorse for selling El. out, or maybe he knows something we don't. Maybe El is still alive and he is trying to get her attention.

How exactly did PetalHead's world exist? Has it always existed right under our noses, or was there some deeper conspiracy that created the world and/or PetalHead?

What's happening with Will? He spits out a slug at the end, so something must be up... kinda reminds me of Slither. It is obvious that he is unique. We don't know much about PetalHead's world, so it is possible that the atmosphere is toxic to humans, hence the radiation suits. But I think there's something more to the story. Like I said, Will must be unique, how do I know this? Every time the monster grabbed someone, it was game over man, game over, but not for Will. True, he was hiding away, but still, the monster seems like it should be able to outrun a kid. Why didn't PetalHead kill him when it broke into Wills hideout on the Upsidedown? Instead he was stuck to the wall of the Upsidedown school with a tentacle in his mouth, á la Alien. Remember when Hopps found that hatched egg? I think that tentacle actually acted like an umbilical cord of sorts and that there are little PetalHeads incubating inside of him... once again, á la Alien.

It should be interesting to see how the series progresses in the currently unannounced second season.

What do you think?

Trust me, barricading entrances won't stop PetalHead. He has... ways

14. tripplej

tripplej Well-Known Member

I just finished watching this series. My Goodness, it was excellent. It kept me on my toes and wanting more.. I can't wait for season 2.. wow. The ending was perfect.. Just enough to keep you wanting more.

15. Struggler

Struggler Sapient Meat
    Platinum Founder

As the season was coming to an end, and most things were being explained, I was wondering if the show would end up being an anthology series, similar to American Horror Story, which each season being different but connected in small ways. It turned out to be set up somewhat for another season, although I'm not really sure where they'd go with it to start off with. I think I would've like an anthology more, as most of the characters' storylines played out enough already. Eh, maybe it will be an anthology and certain threads left open by this season will carry over into a new setting and story. It remains to be seen. I don't think there's been talk of any kind about a second season, but it's obviously in high demand so it'll be made regardless.

16. Oh Snape

Oh Snape House Bantsratheon
    Staff Member Moderator

I've seen 1 episode. Pretty cool, show has set up its own tone and atmosphere and the actors sem to know what they're doing.

You weebz best not have overhyped it!

tripplej likes this.
  17. J4sm1n4

J4sm1n4 The Queen of Hell and Heaven
    Contributor

see for yourself.

tripplej likes this.
  18. triforceguy1

triforceguy1 New Member

Well... (SPOILERS)
    I've read an interview saying that 'if' they do another season (basically confirms a second season without the commitment) they would like to explore more of the whole upside-down world and the monster. What effects does the world have on humans? Where did the monster come from? Apparently they have a 30 page document all about the lore of PetalHead and the USD... hang on... the acronym for the Upside-down is USD... so... is the upside-down a representation of money and greed? Lol x3

tripplej likes this.
  19. Novaire

Novaire Serial Editor
    Editor Contributor Gold Founder

I finished it a week or so ago. Admittedly, I lost some of my fondness for it by the end, but overall, it was a fine series.

Sort of related-unrelated side note: Is Stand By Me still good? Obviously it's a big inspiration, and the series made me wanna watch it, as I haven't seen it before.

tripplej likes this.
  20. Struggler

Struggler Sapient Meat
    Platinum Founder

More than good.

tripplej likes this.