Sci-Fi Stranger Things

Discussion in 'Film & Television' started by BuddyLee, Jul 18, 2016.

1. Interest1ng

Interest1ng SC's AmbASSador.... MAWP!!!

I finished it last night. I really enjoyed the unfolding of the story and the age in which it was all happening was really great. The acting was spot on for everyone involved. I enjoyed the series as a whole and can't wait for the next season.

2. Novaire

Novaire Serial Editor
    Editor Contributor Gold Founder

Very cool, will definitely check that out soon.

3. Kuze

Kuze 『Ole Ole Ole』
    Contributor

I was left a bit unimpressed by the end of it. For a sci/fi mystery though it was pretty good (barring a few shitty plot progressions). I was most impressed by the character Eleven. The ending left me disappointed yet hopeful at the same time.

Goddammit. Not the Alien route. You could have done better Duffer Brothers. I get it the show's trying to pay homage/mash up various film concepts from the 80s/90s and all but they could have come up with something better. That ending with Will, however, answered my question as to why there were only one of those monsters.

The scene where the Chief left some food in the box tells me that there's a possibility that Eleven, in the process of closing all the gates to the Upside Down and locking the monster in its own realm, managed to survive. But that's just me.

The horror was...bland.

All in all an okay tv series showcasing nifty concepts (hey, at least they didn't go for a vampire disease breakout-esque gung-ho we gotta save the world bullshit), adorable kids and rife with all the right emotions (or as they say in the 80s movies- warmness). I can see why it got all the attention.

Hope they build more on the Upside down world concept in the 2nd season.

Narilka likes this.
  4. KT Samurai

KT Samurai The Peacemaker
    Staff Member Administrator "Owner"

Excellent show. Well shot, well acted, great music, just excellent all around.

Highly recommended!

5. Kerberos

Kerberos genki moe blob
    Staff Member Moderator

Kuze as much as I love and respect your taste in anime I have to say you are hard to please when it comes to live action shows. This was definitally one of the best shows of the year. Like it does get better than this, but not much.

6. Kuze

Kuze 『Ole Ole Ole』
    Contributor

Given the fact that Mr. Robot and Breaking Bad are the only shows I've really enjoyed till date (and I'll throw in Daredevil S1 too) you could say that. But I'm not all that into tv series in general.

Yes the production values were top notch. But story wise I feel Stranger Things lacked the edge. Though all of this could be evened out in the following sequels.

7. Kerberos

Kerberos genki moe blob
    Staff Member Moderator

I can sorta see what you mean. Sci Fi is an area in which western media is far behind on anime so you kinda have to lower your standards for that. But we're slowly catching up. One sci fi show that I think goes a long way in approaching the artistry and originality of anime is Sense8 so you might want to check that out. Also you might want to take a look at The Expanse. It's a grand space opera as well as a hard sci fi show. Think Legend of the Galactic Heroes crossed with Planetes. Really good stuff.

Kuze likes this.
  8. Kyuu

Kyuu Newbie

Stranger things was a great, great show, I am eager to see a second season.
    I hope they stick to the nature of the show and don't derail it to much.

9. symph

symph SC's #1 Rebel
    Staff Advisory Platinum Founder

Yes. I kind of hope they don't go all nutty with mythology and reveal everything behind the curtain- I think a good part of the suspense was just nobody really knowing what was going on.

10. Saturna

Saturna Active Member
    Gold Founder

I think the thing that surprised me most about Stranger Things is that it actually made me tear up at times. That's the last thing I ever expected from a horror/sci fi and it was done masterfully.

When
    Will was being resuscitated and Hopper was having memories of his dying daughter I just lost my shit.

It was an amazing show. I can't wait for season 2.

11. Kuze

Kuze 『Ole Ole Ole』
    Contributor

Season 2 news:

Further read in detail

http://www.vox.com/2016/9/7/12771886/stranger-things-season-2-what-we-know

MyaMeOhMy and tripplej like this.
  12. MyaMeOhMy

MyaMeOhMy Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Sakuga's Butterfly Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ

Absolutely love this show. A bunch of friends and I sat down and watched it after they pushed me into giving it a chance. My favorite character is Jonathan by far. Thee have an interesting twist of events and the ending of season one is definitely hinting at a second season.

13. Wind Adept

Wind Adept Senior Member

Decided to watch the first episode tonight and I think it's safe to say I'm hooked. The acting is very spot-on and the background sets are just great to look at. I'm also really liking the retro inspired soundtrack. The opening will be one of those openings that I won't skip because the theme is so good. I'll probably be watching more episodes tonight.

14. Chloe

Chloe [adult swim]

I normally try to avoid the popular tumblr-girl series, but Stranger Things was really damn good.

15. OctalKey

OctalKey 100% Polyester
    Gold Founder

I watched it a couple days after it popped up on Netflix. I had such a negative impression of it because of the children being the main cast. Boy, this was a very entertaining show. Hopper became my favorite character almost immediately, and the children were actually all charming! I was rooting for every one of them! The ambiguity of Will's disappearance and the monstrosity was well done enough to keep me captivated...until the reveal happened, and I sort of just lost all fear of the monster. Still, the conflict here was much better than other television shows, I have a profound respect for the authenticity of the Duffer Bros. and their respect for the classic horror films of adolescents vs. the things that go bump in the night.

S2 is going to be terrific, I know it

Kerberos likes this.