Telltale Games to Close Down

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Red_Dragon, Sep 21, 2018.

1. Red_Dragon

Red_Dragon Established Member
    Platinum Founder

Damn, this really hits my heart dammit it man, such a a good studio.

Apparently they also will not be completing Walking Dead Season 4, that project is going unfinished such a damn shame I was telling a friend recently that I couldn't wait until all games came out so I can buy the complete edition and finish it in one sitting.

Will never forget Telltale is really was one of a kind, thank you Clementine and Lee!

Telltale Games, makers of The Walking Dead adventure games and several other episodic series, laid off many of its developers today and may be shutting down according to messages on social media, a report by The Verge, and a Kotaku source with knowledge of the matter.

REFERENCE
    https://kotaku.com/sources-telltale-hit-with-major-layoffs-possible-shut-1829233618

2. Novaire

Novaire Serial Editor
    Editor Contributor Gold Founder

Back in the day, Telltale went for small, but well-liked, oftentimes dormant properties that you could jump into without prior knowledge; Sam and Max, Monkey Island, Wallace & Gromit, Homestar Runner, etc. They truly helped to give them a new lease on life. They were one of my favorite developers of the time, but sometime after The Walking Dead, they decided that they had to keep picking up more and more to the point that I couldn't keep up.

At one time, Telltale's main series were almost entirely things that you could jump into at any point without feeling like you were missing story elements; per example, you could've jumped into Sam and Max or Strong Bad's game with the second season and you'd be none the wiser because they're all totally standalone. That was a good thing for the company because they were always starting at a potential 100% of market interest, where, if you make four directly connected stories, you're forced to rely on the same consumers returning, again and again, cutting the market further and further in half with every consecutive followup. The law of diminishing returns is eventually gonna wear you down to the point of no return.

It sounds like they were also plagued with in-fighting among leaders, a lack of creating direction, excessive team expansion, and a downright hostile work environment. Honestly, it seems like it was a long time coming at this point.

I remember watching Our Telltale Heart, a charity fundraising stream that they hosted before the turn of the decade, and I actually got the chance to interact with some members of the development team via the stream's chat. They seemed like a nice bunch, and they were very attentive to the chat's many rambly thoughts and opinions. I'm really glad I had the chance to sit back and watch them goof around. I'm gonna miss them, but reality tells me that the Telltale that I once loved with was gone long before any of this went down.

Red_Dragon likes this.
  3. TonyTony

TonyTony Active Member

Seems like they lost their heart awhile ago. When they announced GOT telltale game I was kinda curious where they were going creatively after that, nowhere I guess.

4. Yajuu_Kikuishi

Yajuu_Kikuishi Active Member

This is sad news, the recent Telltale games have been some of my favourites. I was particularly looking forward to Wolf Among Us Season 2. Sad news indeed.

5. Oh Snape

Oh Snape House Bantsratheon
    Staff Advisory

Wolf Among Us was dope as hell. Check out The Fables graphic novels for more. I think it has an ending.

Red_Dragon likes this.
  6. ReymousFumes

ReymousFumes Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Nerd
    Contributor

I only got to know Telltale through their first Walking Dead game, but I was really hooked on their pseudo-CYOA style of storytelling for a while, especially where Wolf Among Us was concerned (which was probably their only game where choices really mattered). By the time I got to play Tales of Borderland, I was kinda worn out by them, and Game of Thrones was even worse. I stopped playing Telltale games after that.

Then just as I started to hear good things about season 4 of Walking Dead, just as I got to hear things like "Telltale is back on form," this happened. I was so happy to play episode 1, and I definitely felt like there was more content with more interactions. At least they went out in style, sort of. Good thing that Skybound decided to complete TWD S4 in place of Telltale, so yes, we'll still get to see Clementine's journey come to an end.

Still, I feel kinda frustrated that people were essentially paying season passes for what is now a dead company. Even if the rest of the game is still being produced - which is of no 100% guarantee, mind you, so our money is still on the line - the company we paid to is still dead and bankrupt. Needless to say, this raises alarm bells even now. A lot of people were demanding their money back, leaving a horde of negative reviews on TWD S4's Steam page. Things are definitely ugly on both sides.

Well, in hindsight, they were a rather small company that just happened to get lucky. It's not as shocking as something like Bioware or Bungie's failures as a company.

7. Red_Dragon

Red_Dragon Established Member
    Platinum Founder

I agree, but they sold so many copies of the Walking Dead on every platform imaginable. I feel like there's so much more to this story than is being let on. They didn't even have that many employees, feels like funds mismanagement elsewhere.

#7 Red_Dragon, Dec 12, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2018
  8. Shannon Apple

Shannon Apple Sour Apple
    Staff Member Administrator

That's sad news indeed. I had only just discovered their Telltale Series of games.