The 3d model thread

Discussion in 'Art & Design' started by yoda313, Jul 4, 2017.

1. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

[​IMG] Wasn't sure the best way to post this. I didn't want to just use it in my game thread (the mario clone one). I thought there might be users here who want to post their 3d modeled work. I just finished a cup with a youtube tutorial and BLENDER. I love it!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It took about a half hour following the video. It's amazing. It's like the ones they do for making the movies and stuff. Sweet.

SHARE YOUR MODELS!

Let me know if you can't view it. Since its my own box.com account i can see it but im not sure this will work since i'm using the file location rather than the share link.

https://app.box.com/s/vl0u030jj8ps5i20rg7rg8usqlvx9npe

#1 yoda313, Jul 4, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2017
  2. KT Samurai

KT Samurai The Peacemaker
    Staff Member Administrator "Owner"

Can't see 'em without using the "Open image in new tab" feature on Chrome, you'll probably have to re-host them.

Can you show us the topology? I'm an animator but I do have experience creating 3D models so I know what I'm looking at if I can see the verts and stuff.

3. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

Where would you suggest i post them?

It was cool altering the cylinders into that shape.

4. KT Samurai

imgbb.com and most others should be fine.

5. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

Thanks. I got it going. Here they are:

[​IMG]

I'm trying to make a mug on my own. Trouble is i cant remember how to do the circle thing to add to the bezier curve. im checking the tutorial video again so i can replicate it. Here is my solo attempt:

im editing them ill be a minute.

[​IMG]

heres the new mug im working on:

[​IMG]

#5 yoda313, Jul 4, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2017
  6. KT Samurai

Looks like you're getting the hang of it. Pretty damn good for your first try, you're even rendering with reflective materials.

I use Maya, not Blender, so I can't give you a lot of direct advice. I can say, though, that a movie asset wouldn't have this much topology. The amount of faces you have on this thing would be better served for modelling a car or truck or something. Try to use as few faces as possible, that's how you get to the next level.

7. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

@KT Samurai - thanks :)

Yeah the guy in the tutorial did mention the more rendercycles the longer it would take to process (not sure which count i was increasing - the polygons or something). The terminilogy is still hard to get a grasp on to use it correctly.

I do like this.

I do have a question though - how do you people and animals? I see some low res poly animal tutorials and people tutorials. I have heard of poser but how does blender or your maya do people? You dont start with spheres and cubes do you? I imagine there must be some type of dummy model to start with so you dont have to start from scratch.

8. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

Oh sorry this wasnt my first crack at blender. A week or so ago i was working on doing a trace rendering if a gun into 3d. I then did a column with just a cylinder and a cube. I didnt want to leave the impression it was my first time using it. Though ive only had it for a week or two now.

9. Randoms

Randoms Ridiculously Awesome Randomness
    Silver Founder Plus

I used to use Maya when I took a 3D modeling class. While I don't have access to it anymore, I still have some of my renders saved. I also rigged them so the moving parts moved, but I can't seem to upload the video. I might try a different sharing site for those.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

@Randoms - cool!

My problem will be freestyling :D im not an artist though my mom and my grandfather did paint and draw so I've got something in me. Its just gonna take a lot of practice.

And im honna like animating destruction sequences for my enemies when i get further along in my game on unity.

11. KT Samurai

I'd say nearly every character/animal model you've seen in the past few years was made in zBrush, not Blender or Maya. zBrush has a kind of 3D clay feel to it and it's specifically designed to allow artists to use a stylus to "draw" out organic shapes.

Blender and Maya are mostly used for what is known is hard-surface modelling, which basically means man-made objects that have a lot of right angles and whatnot. Cars, houses, furniture, house keys, firearms; that sort of thing.

12. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

Thanks kt
    is zbrush freeware or does it have a free version?

13. KT Samurai

It's pretty pricey, upwards of $800 per license.

Edit: Actually, they offer something called zBrush Core now that is a stripped down version to let people get started for about $150. https://store.pixologic.com/zbrushcore/

You can try it for free for 45 days but it's a pretty weird program. The biggest hurdle is just figuring out how to use the interface and move around in 3D space. It's not like Blender or Maya where things make sense, it takes time to learn how to move around and begin to sculpt.

If you're serious about modelling convincing-looking organic characters/creatures zBrush is a must, though. For now, I'd stick to Blender and make simple assets like lamps or garbage bins and learn how to make them really efficiently. Keep showing your stuff and I can try to help you if you want.

#13 KT Samurai, Jul 5, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2017
  14. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

Thanks kt samurai. Im sure ill be having questions. And at lunch i saw that core package. Still too much. Ill wait on humanoid figures for now like you said.

I did buy a kindle book that covers a blender project ($20). That way ill have examples to go off of at my finger tips without having to google or youtube everything.

I also have s unity book coming this week and i bought a unity tutorial on steam.

#14 yoda313, Jul 5, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2017
  15. KT Samurai

Nice. Exporting to a game engine has never been easier so this is a great time to start.

Hope I keep seeing your work!

16. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

Thanks for the encouragement :)

Im taking a break tonight though. Gotta recharge .

KT Samurai likes this.
  17. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

think i just answered my own question. The base of a mug i'm trying to make on my own has a weird bottom when its rendered. I went to make a wireframe screenshot and noticed i hadn't conncted the outside to the inside somehow when i extruded the interior to the base (the inside was extruded down but not connected to the base - missed that step i guess).

I do still have a question though. I want it to be blue/green glass but it won't take it. I have it selected in the material list but i don't know why it doesnt do it in the redered image. Is there some apply button or should i delete any existing material and start new in the material list (it does say material 5 for some reason).

Anyway thanks for any suggestions. (by the way i did this with a cylinder and did not have any vertical cuts so it has a weird face attachment for the handle. in the tutorial the guy had a few horizontal cuts and he was able to delete those to have a nice small area to attach the handle to the cup, mine is blobby).
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So any suggestions on applying the glass look and the attaching of the interior to the external bottom are appreciated. Funny thing is the bottom looks like a solid surface but it doesn't show being attached in the wireframe.[/spoiler]

Edit - its weird those are direct links from the imgbb website for the bottom two pictures but nothing is showing you have to click the pasted link. weird that only one is showing in the post without having to click the link.

edit 2 - hmm now i replaced one pic and now you have to click on each of them to see them. weird since these are the direct link copies from imgbb.com

Edit 3 - i rechecked and i forget the base is a fully connected circle so it does have a solidity to it. It's just when it goes into render mode the bottom of the mug that should be flared out a touch isnt rendered and only the interior is. strange.

Edit 4 - ok after fiddling with it and rewatching the tutorial i set my material to mix shader and set it to glass and transparent. I only had glass the first time. instantly the color popped on - i did one without the mix and i got color but as soon as i set it to mix shader and chose glass and transparent bingo i got what i wanted - but i still have the weird bottom issue to solve where its not rendering the exterior base that shows as solid in object mode.

[​IMG]

edit 5 - followed a simple tutorial to make a bullet - forgot how to make the camera move already :D so its an odd angle.
    How do you make an object metallic? There wasn't an option for metallic in the shader. whats it called in blender?

[​IMG]

Ha I forgot to put in the i m g brackets! no wonder it wouldn't show up :D ive been learning so much with unity and blender i forgot that :D

Edit 6 - This is weird my mug looks just fine in unity! Though the glass and color didnt carry over from blender - why is that?

Anyway here's a vid of my blender objects in unity. I made the bullet this evening following a tutorial. The cup was from last week or whenever i finished it. The mug is the one i finished tonight and showed in the green file earlier in this post. The boat i just finished twenty minutes ago. It's not quite like the kindle ebook tutorial i bought. It's kinda close but they started finessing it and it just doesnt quite match. I think i lost track of something somehwere along the ways.

Here's the vid - you'll have to download it - its 50 seconds and its a mp4. Not sure why imgbb nor box.com will stream it. Not sure what type of video codec snagit uses. still havent looked it up. maybe i have to click "streamable" format somewhere in the snagit options... hmmm..

https://app.box.com/s/ogm1l62iy3ha2xiarth1hf3bc61qj0d9

Oh yeah i made the bullet metallic in the material setting in unity. i gues i have to that for the cup and mug too. why doesnt the texture option from blender carry over to unity? Is it a different renderer?

Edit 7 - ha snag it uses h264 with a low profile setting. why the hell doesn't it stream? Its not a strange form of h264 so far as i can tell - h264 main L3.1, yuv420p, 894x596, 1227 kb/s]. The odd res is because i cropped it around the play window in unity.

#17 yoda313, Jul 8, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2017
  18. KT Samurai

That outter layer of geo you have in your first image might the the start of your problems. It kinda looks like it's draped over everything else and isn't connected properly so it could be creating the odd pinches and holes in your render.

I don't know a lot about Blender but in Maya you have to choose your material carefully. For glass, for example, we'd use something called a Blinn since it has reflectivity and transparency and can use textures. The material you chose may not play well with Unity which could be looking for specific materials and ignoring all else.

Have't watched your video yet since I'm at work.

19. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

Thanks kt.

Im very basic when it comes to material. I can just do metal in unity.

When i do add mesh object in blender i just get a cube or cylinder. I dont get other options that i know of when adding objects in blender.

Or do you mean the shader options? Ive only watched the one tutorial on shading.

And regarding the pinching i drew the interior down as an extrusion but i did it from the front ortho view. I suppose next time i need to inspect it in 3d as i extrude rather than draw it down. Also i dont have any cross beams in it. Would thay impact it? The first cup i did had vertical and horizontal faces/vertices.

Thanks.

20. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

I wanted this to be a hut for a village i want to be build - however it almost turned into a helmet you might see in Lord of the Rings :D
    [​IMG]
    Still not too bad. Though the top is uneven. But i was able to merge it pretty nicely using the vertices edit points to knock them together. Though part of it is hollow in unity so there was some unintentional clipping.

edit - i didnt follow a youtube video on this one. I just started with a cylinder and worked upwards.