The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild Review

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Moe, Mar 29, 2017.

1. Moe

Moe Fed to the Rancor

From my personal opinions of The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, this is my review, and I have two scores to give it, one for a general open world game--8.8 out of 10, and the second, as a Zelda game--6 out of 10. This is my first review and I covered everything I wanted to, but once I 100 percent complete the game my opinion may change and I may change my review, but here is based on beating Ganon.

Lets begin with there are spoilers, but most of the information you can already get by watching the trailers. So be forewarned.

To begin, as a open world game, we have all the things we've come to expect of them. Detailed Environment--I'm not reducing my score of the game because of graphics, The Legend of Zelda games always go with a stylized graphics and it's so far has suited them fine. But I digress, and they've succeed in creating a well tuned landscape for the player to enjoy and explore. Yes, some area's are vastly harder to traverse than others--Guardians running around and what not--but that's part of it's appeal, leaning and leveling--in this case doing shrines to gather four orbs to get heart or stamina containers to help you.

Upon getting more hearts, you can take more damage but if you play like me, I got some heavy armor from the second town you visit and that lasted me most of the entire game, and without even fully upgrading it. Combat wise, we have you're usual Zelda combat, with Z targeting and all. But with an added Furry Rush if you time your dodge right. I hardly ever use that feature but was quite useful later on.

We also have environmental hazards. Four in all, that being going to Death Mounting, the heat, and getting really close then you'd be set on fire and have the risk of loosing any wood items if you had them out. Gerudo desert, same thing, yet your wood items wouldn't burn, but you'd still get dizzy and loose hearts. Sorry in advance if I got any of the names wrong, this is just what I have come to call them...this is the first time they've been given more in depth names, and there are plenty of places I have yet to explore. There is also the winter area with surprisingly if you use a fire element item, just carrying it on your back or having a bow with a flaming arrow out, you are warmed up.

These small details are wondrous in this game and adds a depth that other games don't. Be careful during a thunderstorm, you'll get shocked if you have any metal items on you...sadly this doesn't affect armor--so wearing full plate armor, or the armor that I wore most of the time never got my struck by lightning.

Cooking, Horse Riding, and even the Shield Sledding, all of this improve the game that much more, but a glaring issue that I came across with is prevalent in most games and causes me to not like them as much is the Story. There is so much wasted potential here that I feel that they cut corners, or spent to much time on other stuff it would be hard to pack in more story elements. Yes, Zelda games aren't known for their stories but even Skyward Sword and Wind Waker felt like they had more of a story going for them--I don't bring up Majora's Mask and OoT because they are both masterly beautiful and need no lip from me.

Maybe it was my preconceived notion from the creator and one of the Nintendo directs that we'd be crying over the story and my sights were set high, but all during the story line, never once did I feel that way. We were also told in these directs that side characters are absolutely necessary and add so much to the story. Hell, they do and so much more, but I think he had the ideas all in his head but failed to convey them though the game.

Now before I continue with that thought was we're going to diverge into the second half of my review as a Zelda game, I'd like to add a bit more as to why I scored the game as an 8.8 out of 10. The second contributing factor is the sound quality. Now I am playing this on the Wii U and I can't expect there to be such a drastic differences from the U to the Switch that it would improve anything. The Syncing is off, I had to turn up my volume for voice lines, especially from Zelda, the most predominate character. And in combat if I strike the mobs with Urbosa's Fury, the volume would shoot up for an extended period of time while the mobs got electrocuted and paralyzed.

Diving into the lower score of being a "zelda game" we loose many aspects that I felt should have remained. I know they were going for new and different but some of the aspects I've grown to expect aren't here. These are the dungeons, of which there are only 4 of them in Breath of the Wild, and multiple Shrines which some people consider apart of the dungeons--120 of them all together and I've completed just under 50 of them before I took on Ganon. I took him on expecting to loose but I won simply because I stuffed my face with all the foods I've gathered.

The thing about the story and characters is they are intertwine, I feel there could have been more dungeons and longer ones, I mean one I completed in 15 minutes. Some where hidden behind a few challenges, such as Zora's Domain which took me an hour to just get to, I enjoyed it sure but still the dungeon was lacking, each of the dungeons involved a singular room, and some smaller ones and either adding water to gears to move them, or tilting the room, spinning, some basic stuff, so they all felt like the beginning of any Zelda game, where you gather 3 items like in OoT.

I fully expected more considering the scale of the world. But that's only one issue I had, the fact to me is the challenges were all simple, granted most Zelda games have simple challenges for even kids to try, but these in Breath of the Wild lose their creativity. We got an all in one item, the Sheikah Slate and the only real new things are the Cryonis, Magnesis, and Stasis. Sure we got the Camera later on, and again I am not saying what we got was bad, I am saying that if they add to these things, they would make a truly great game. This is still a great game, and i suggest it, we're just lacking in several aspects that make a Zelda game, Zelda.

Some weapons we got though our travels are reminiscent of the past games, we got elemental items, such as frost, fire, and electrical. Boomerangs, bombs, all stuff we're use to, stuff that once were items to gain though dungeons. AND this is where we are lacking. We'd enter a dungeon, do part of it, get an item and them use that item to progress further. A Link Between Worlds did this perfectly and I feel they could have gone more that route here, but they didn't and left everything to the Sheikah Slate. They game us the freedom to use these three runes--as they're called in game--to do anything, but screwing around and being creative in how we get something done isn't something everyone will understand, such as I, I like straight forwardness and gaining a new item, seeing what it can do and using it as it's intended.

Why this scores so low is because everything we've seen in Breath of the Wild isn't that new to us. The challenges were lacking to say the least and we saw little creativeness that we'd otherwise would have seen in past games due to an item needing to be use to get to the next location.

So to finish this review up, let me add a bit more depth to the story itself and what I think I failed to convey in previous paragraphs. Rather this is what I see as improvements that I feel could have made the game greater that it already is. We're met with 4 different Champions, now the game could have easily taken place 100 years prior before the great calamity and maybe even though Zelda instead of Link, then switched but the main point here being give us more time with these 4 Champions. A dungeon before gaining their favor, something and that would have attached us more to them than a short cut scene that gave us a general idea of who the character was.

This game is heavy on lore, but that is different then story and a game always falls short for me because I think story should be a major factor in the game to rise it from a good game and make it into a great game. That could easily follow up with a Breath of the Wild 2 and tell us the game we played wasn't the whole game. Honestly I wouldn't mind that. It's still a great game.

Overall Gameplay 8.8 of 10

As a Zelda Game 6 of 10

2. Red_Dragon

Red_Dragon Established Member
    Platinum Founder

A 6 out of 10?

Really?

Kicked Ganon's ass last week was very satisfied with that fight, one of the best in the series. Did you get the "True ending"? There are some other things I want to talk about, but I'm not going to spoil it for anyone. I agree the story wasn't great compared to other Zelda's, and that's only because there isn't a whole of character cut scenes/interactions in comparison to previous Zelda games. I haven't been able to play in the last week because I had to send my controller back I was having the problem with the left Joycon, cannot wait to get this back so I can destroy Ganon again :)

3. Moe

Moe Fed to the Rancor

As a Zelda game, yes. I believe I was fair in my score.

As for the true ending, I thought that is what I got, I fought Ganon, got a bit of backstory, then talked with Zelda after all was said. Unless I'm missing something, but I'm continuing to play, I do still have 70 shrines to beat, and I have done all the divine beasts. I'll continue questing and maybe that will change my mind.

4. Red_Dragon

Platinum Founder

I'd rate this game a 9.5 overall, just some minor quibbles that I had

Did you get the ending where Zelda told you to go with her to Zora's Domain so they could speak with Mipha's father? That's the true ending, and that ending actually opens up the DLC I'm thinking. If I'm right, that would mean the DLC would be you and Zelda going together and most likely you playing as both characters or where Zelda is following you around, which could open up an entirely new dynamic.

5. Moe

Moe Fed to the Rancor

When I have the money to get the DLC I'll get it, just not atm. But if that's true the game will be improved a bit, but the initial game still could use some work.

6. Red_Dragon

Platinum Founder

Yeah you go to get all the memories in the game (Those pictures) then go back and fight Ganon.

Finding the Final Memory was a pain, but I went through books I read in the game to discover where it could be at, felt really awesome being able to find something like that on my own without having to read a FAQ.