The marvel mcu thread

Discussion in 'Film & Television' started by yoda313, Jan 10, 2018.

1. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

Boom here it is! Anything and everything to do with marvel movies goes here. My idea for this is for rumors, wishes and general chat. Individual movies should still get their own threads obviously . My main purpose is this story:

http://www.slashfilm.com/black-widow-movie-writer/

That will be cool. I like scarlett Johansen. Wonder if it will be an origin story will it show her meeting clint for the first time?

2. ReymousFumes

ReymousFumes Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Nerd
    Contributor

Rewatched my favorite scene from Black Panther today and was reminded why I put this film above all other MCU entries, especially Thor Ragnarok:

This was what I wish Thor had done in his movie, called out on Odin's BS. That would have made the film 10 times better for me.

Looking back, it feels like this entire movie has a lot more guts than Infinity War's plot-twist (which we know will be reversed anyway), touching on very hard-hitting and relatable topics Marvel has very rarely done before. I love the ambiguity in this scene and the movie. The "good guys" aren't always the good guys, and sometimes, the bad guy has a point too.

It's probably too much to expect such quality scriptwriting in every single MCU entry in the future (especially where Ant-Man is concerned), but oh well. I'll take what I can get from the Panther franchise for now.

#2 ReymousFumes, May 15, 2018
    Last edited: May 15, 2018
  3. KT Samurai

KT Samurai The Peacemaker
    Staff Member Administrator "Owner"

What I found interesting about Thor: Ragnarok is that, after discovering a shameful past steeped in violent colonialism, they end up literally sacrificing their entire civilisation in order to begin anew. That level of acknowledgement of past wrongs is something you likely will not see in any Earthly nations in the MCU since there are very uncomfortable real life parallels, some of which got a lot of exposure in Black Panther.

ReymousFumes likes this.
  4. ReymousFumes

Contributor

YES! Exactly! That's what I said in my Thor: Ragnarok review. Considering America's bloody and shameful past (not pointing fingers at anybody, just stating the facts), it might have been a touchy subject, but regardless, it's still a great opportunity to tell a powerful story that resonates with people on a deeper level than most Marvel movies do because of that parallel with real history real people have lived through.

I feel like that's always been the problem with the MCU, they would go halfway in their effort to tell good stories like this. Alcoholism? Nope. We can't tackle that because not only is it too sensitive a subject for the kids, it's also disrespectful to ask Robert Downey Jr. to go through with that role in Iron Man 2 (a decision which I understand and respect, but just for the record, he was the perfect candidate to portray Tony's alcoholic problem in Demon in a Bottle, a story arc Iron Man 2 was very loosely inspired from).

The Mandarin and The Ancient One? Nope. That would have been insulting to the Chinese culture because of outdated stereotypes - even though fu-manchu and the "wise mystical sage" cliche are still prevalent today in Chinese culture. As a Chinese, I never understood why they thought it would be insulting for us when such supposed "stereotypes" are a significant part of Chinese culture today.

5. Shi

Shi The Aspirer
    Staff Member Administrator Platinum Founder

@ReymousFumes
    Welcome to America where we're still grappling civil rights issues.

6. KT Samurai

KT Samurai The Peacemaker
    Staff Member Administrator "Owner"

That's mostly because no matter how normalised a racist caricature becomes it's still a racist caricature.

I have friends and family that whole-heartedly embrace racist stereotypes of Native Americans despite being Native Americans themselves. Their acceptance of those harmful depictions of a group as wide and varied as mine does a disservice to the vast majority of people who reject them, like me. Not only that, it gives closet racists an excuse to normalise that behaviour. It's harmful even if (and arguably especially if) the stereotype is embraced by the people it's intended to misrepresent. There is more to Native Americans than the stereotypes used to frame us; there is more to wise old Asian people than the fu manchu caricature.

ReymousFumes likes this.
  7. ReymousFumes

Contributor

Hm, fair enough. When you put it that way, it makes sense.

8. Koda

Koda Senior Member

So what did everyone think of the Infinity War ?. Also saw Deadpool 2 last week, that was good !

Oh Snape likes this.
  9. ReymousFumes

Contributor

I wrote a review for it on another site. Click the link if you're interested.

I love the movie, but it has little problems here and there that did lower the score a little, but just a little (like too many characters, the ending having less impact on second viewing, that kind of stuff). 8/10

10. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

I can see that being a prob with too many characters. But i still love it. It is everything they promised.

ReymousFumes likes this.
  11. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

Ok black panther question:

he got the flower power when he became king after that first challenge, so does that mean he didnt have that power in captain america civil war? Was that all just the suits power? So what ability did he get with the flower? I know it gave him that vision of his father but what else?

12. ReymousFumes

Contributor

Nah, he still had his powers in Civil War. His power was taken away again in Black Panther because of that battle for the throne. It needed to be a fair and honorable fight, so T'Challa had to have his power taken away temporarily 'till he wins the fight.

13. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

So did he have it when he first became the black panther then??? I guess that was what wasnt clear to me. I think thats what youre saying there.

14. ReymousFumes

Contributor

He had it in the beginning of the Black Panther movie, if that's what you're asking. His powers were taken away when he had to fight for his father's throne later on in the same movie.

15. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

So if he had it in the beginning of the black panther movie that means he had it when you first met him in civil war?

16. ReymousFumes

Contributor

Yeah, that's what I said. lol...

17. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

Ah perfect!

18. ReymousFumes

Contributor

Because I'm bored, so here's another post addressing celebrities bitching about Marvel, and how much of it I agreed with. Get ready for harsh language, because I'm still very much anti-superhero.

Simon Pegg: Marvel's Infantilization
    Pegg wasn't entirely wrong as there were many Marvel films that are pure escapism movies with style over substance, but I think he's wrong to call out on Age of Ultron. I had a more positive perspective on AoU over the years, especially after a recent rewatch. AoU's theme of The Avengers' battling their inner demons and proving Ultron wrong about humanity being irredeemable was well done, and the religious undertones ("On this rock, I build this church") was undeniable and only added depth to such a theme.

Instead, I would have called out on Thor: Ragnarok. Now that one was infantile alright. A forgettable action adventure with witty comedy to pass the hour and a half you have to spare. Hela was just one of the many generic megalomaniacal villains trying to take over the world. Yawn. Next power-hungry villain please. The politics of Odin hiding his bloody past of conquering the Nine Realms would have saved the movie from being a shallow piece of shit, but that particular sub-plot had no payoff and was a mere accessory.

Pegg's remark that Marvel movies' biggest focus is Hulk winning against a robot could be applied here in Thor: Ragnarok, where the biggest thing we could take away is Hulk fighting Thor. There's no emotional journey here, no deeper message other than "Thor kicking ass." A single movie like this once in a while is fine, and I love them for it, but at least 7 Marvel movies out of 10 is just some over-masculine super kicking ass and looking awesome. Gets old after a while, and it does feel juvenile. Feels like a teenager's wet dream with his superhero figurines. Pegg's remark rings true.

Now of course, you get the occasional Civil War and Black Panther, which is why I feel that the MCU has improved a lot more near Infinity War, but I feel like that's only because we're near the end of Phase 3. You can be sure that by Phase 4, things will reset and you'll go back to those "fun" and thoughtless action adventures full of kicking ass and looking awesome. Yawn.

Jodie Foster's Delusion
    Now, Jodie's criticism is probably the only one on this list that I disagree entirely with. She went a little overboard with her words, saying Marvel movies are literally destroying the planet. Whew, that's a little exaggerated, don'tcha think? It's not like it's global warming or deforestation or even Donald Trump we're talking about here. Sure, many Marvel movies are dumbing down our next generation, but "destroying the planet"? C'mon, Jodie, I love your acting and even some of your directing, but this statement is just ridiculous.

That being said, "ruining the viewing habits of Americans" does have some truth to it. I wouldn't say it's entirely true since many Americans are still smart enough not to flock to every single Marvel movie they churned outta the factory (especially when many agreed that Ant-Man films are the black sheep of the family), but the habit is still prevalent, giving the Marvel house its unearned money.

George Takei and Whitewashing in Dr. Strange
    Yep, I still agree with this one, in spite of what others have said about sensitive Chinese stereotypes. It still doesn't make much sense to me, appealing to Chinese by eliminating Chinese characters. That's another of the many Chinese-American actors who gets unpaid from your delusional SJW-ing, btw. Great job on keeping the Chinese happy. Not.

Oh, and I'm still waiting for Shang-Chi to appear in the MCU Netflix. Feel free to disappoint me any time, Marvel, as per usual.

Jessica Chastain and Feminism
    Well, Wonder Woman's already out, and they are already making a Captain Marvel movie, so this criticism is already dated. In fact, from what I heard, they might have went overboard with the solution, as the good Captain has turned out to be one gigantic Mary Sue of a twat in the comics, being one of those annoying "a woman who can do anything" BS characters. The MCU version will hopefully not go down the annoying SJW route, but they did replace a Chinese in Dr. Strange, so god only knows. Let's cross our fingers the Captain won't take down Thanos with one punch. Christ almighty.

Chloe Bennet and the Lack of Connection with Marvel TV
    Probably the point most people agreed with. Unfortunately, also the one problem that will most likely to never be resolved. Marvel TV and the MCU will NEVER ever connect because of budget reasons, so just give it up now. Forget about Daredevil and Spidey teaming up unless they reboot good ol' Hornhead.

Christopher Eccelston and the Whiny Complaint
    Another celebrity whining about his job (see "Jennifer Lawrence and X-Men: Apocalypse"). Nothing to see here.

Mel Gibson and the Slew of Violence in Marvel
    Completely off since Marvel movies are the furthest thing away from violent movies. If anything, I'd say the MCU's too family-friendly.

Jason Momoa and the Harmless Joke
    It's called a "joke," you fanboys. Get the f*** over it. It's just a f***ing movie. Stop being so attached to things and be sensitive over every single remark, you precious princess. F*** Marvel. There, I said it. What are you going to do? Gather torches and pitch-forks?

F*** DC as well. In fact, f*** superheroes altogether. See? It means nothing. Nothing happens. The world is still spinning and we are still free to torment each other with our ridiculous BS. Christ.

That is all. End of rant and tirade. Feel free to get butthurt and call me out on stuff.

#18 ReymousFumes, Jul 20, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
  19. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

@ReymousFumes - i never say anything is perfect. If i like something i watch it and support it by going to the theater and buying the discs.

If something changes in a franchise that i dont like i may abandon it. Thats just the way it is. I try not to get too worked about any given decision though. Its still just entertainment. Even though i didnt like the moves they made on luke in last jedi im still going to watch episode 9 and other spinoffs.

Theyd basically have to go all spaceballs andtotally lampoon itself in the main series to make me quit star wars.

20. ReymousFumes

Contributor

James Gunn is fired from Guardians 3! Can't say I'm that choked up about it, considering I never liked the Guardians movies or Star Schmuck, or his actor for that matter. Good riddance.

Here's a picture of all the offensive tweets that got Gunn fired in the first place. Beware of NSFW language:
    [​IMG]
    Now, my gripes against Marvel films aside, this is just f***ing stupid. I don't care how offensive his tweets are, but as long as he didn't actually commit any heinous acts of violence that you find so offensive in his tweets, then I don't give a damn. Actions > words. Words can't hurt any one except precious princesses with sensitive egos. The worst you can charge him of is slander, or in this case, libel.