Action The Predator (2018)

Discussion in 'Film & Television' started by ReymousFumes, May 10, 2018.

1. ReymousFumes

ReymousFumes Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Nerd
    Contributor

Director: Shane Black
    Genre: Action, Adventure, Horror, Sci-Fi, Thriller
    Rating: R
    Release Date: 14 Sep, 2018

Plot:
    From the outer reaches of space to the small-town streets of suburbia, the hunt comes home. The universe's most lethal hunters are stronger, smarter and deadlier than ever before, having genetically upgraded themselves with DNA from other species. When a boy accidentally triggers their return to Earth, only a ragtag crew of ex-soldiers and a disgruntled science teacher can prevent the end of the human race.

Ho boy. It's one of those "THE Movie Title" movie titles. Sigh. And the trailer looks bad too. I never liked Iron Man 3, and Shane Black is the last choice I want for a Predator movie. Hope it doesn't suck.

2. Oh Snape

Oh Snape House Bantsratheon
    Staff Member Moderator

Honestly, sometimes I think I'm the only person on Earth who saw 'Predators' and loved it. WHY WAS THERE NEVER A SEQUEL TO THAT?!

Anyway, I'll check the trailer in a bit but I am quietly confident this is gonna be worth a watch as Shane Black has been involved in the Lethal Weapon movies and the rather excellent 'The Long Kiss Goodnight' which for me, will always be the definitive 'Sam L just phones it in and is awesome regardless' flick.

3. ReymousFumes

Contributor

Yeah, I really liked Predators too. It took the Predator concept to a unique place... something I just don't see this movie doing with this trailer right now (not to mention that the director, Robert Rodriguez's style is vastly different from Shane Black's comedic style, so Predators being good doesn't necessarily promise this one's quality). The trailer makes the movie look super-generic. I mean, it's obviously too soon to judge, but man, trailers sucking can really bring down the mood for ya.

#3 ReymousFumes, May 10, 2018
    Last edited: May 10, 2018
  4. Oh Snape

Staff Member Moderator

See, this is why I thought clicking on trailer wasn't such a good idea.

Looks like they're rebooting it for someone 20 years younger than me. And by 20 I mean 10 obviously.

5. Novaire

Novaire Serial Editor
    Editor Contributor Gold Founder

By coincidence, I watched Predator 2 just yesterday, and I really enjoyed it - more than the other two even. This one doesn't strike me as very interesting. It doesn't have any conceptual flair, which is something that the other three do have; for any faults they might possess, they still have concepts interesting enough to get you to see them. With this, the trailer isn't good, there's no hook of any kind and, frankly, they shouldn't have shown the Predator at all - the lasers should've been all you needed to drum up hype.

I don't have strong feelings about Shane Black directing the film, but it's neat that he was in the original, albeit as probably the most forgettable character. It would've been far cooler to see Dutch and/or Harrigan* return to square off with some new Predator, but I digress. We'll see how it turns out.

Edit: Fixed a name, show's how much I paid attention to the movie I watched less than 24 hours ago. :p

#5 Novaire, May 11, 2018
    Last edited: May 11, 2018
    ReymousFumes likes this.
  6. ReymousFumes

Contributor

Yeah, for all the problems Predator 2 had, the 'urban jungle' concept was actually interesting enough that I can't say I didn't enjoy the movie one bit either. I liked the whole concept of how the heavy crime in the city attracted the Predator. I think Predators really amped up that concept though with the whole "Predator hunting metaphorical predators".

Then there's this trailer, which is supposed to be about some deadly assassins against a Predator that has upped his game by upgrading himself with DNA from various worlds or something...? On paper, it sounds very much like the concept of Predators - on paper. But here, as you can see in the trailer, it looks like just another run-of-the-mill action movie. You could replace the Predator's role with Liam Neeson and there would be almost no difference.

Regarding Dutch or Harrington, I would much rather see The Rock facing off against the Predator if they are going to play the card of having the latest muscular badass in the world right now fighting the Predator. That would have at least been amusing.

7. Kuze

Kuze Heaven's not enough
    Contributor

Was that Keegan? Lel I'm done here. Classic Predator's one of my favorites as well but I don't feel like giving this a shot. Seems less tension just actiony.

Still waiting for a decent Alien vs Predator film T___T

ReymousFumes likes this.
  8. ReymousFumes

Contributor

Bill Duke was so badass in that movie. Loved him in Commando too.

Me too, buddy. *sniff* Me too. A decent AvP film would actually be a lot of fun. I have to admit that the first AvP kinda falls into my guilty pleasure because of the 'fun' factor. To see the two biggest movie aliens facing off... it just sets off all kinds of triggers for our inner-geek.

Kuze likes this.
  9. Oh Snape

Staff Member Moderator

One of the AvP movies had awesome sets and costumes. Both were rather rubbish though.

This would've been so bad ass. Also, in the movie...

the captives come across a dead special ops guy in set up that looks surprisingly similar to the traps Arnie set in the first movie. Except this time they didn't work. I always thought this was Dutch but no one else ever remembers it.

And that Morpheus role was meant to be Harrington but Danny Glover was busy apparently.

ReymousFumes likes this.