Tech The random tech thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by yoda313, Dec 22, 2017.

1. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

I thought this could be a repository for random interesting tidbits that arent necessarily worthy of their own thread. So to start heres a cool thing on ai reseach being done at ubisoft. All of those assassins creed games come to mind with an open world environment full of game ai npcs. Its not just gaming its science now! And its hard to imagine how much research data a company like ubisoft must have on developing fully realized virtual worlds.

Oh and you should have at least a few sentences of thoughts on the link on why you think its interesting.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/ubisoft-combines-ai-research-game-192924604.html

2. Kuze

Kuze 『WANTED』
    Contributor

I was recently reading on this block chain based storage network called Filecoin. From what I've read they're yet to launch the project and are running beta tests. It's basically lending your empty storage for holding client files. For fulfilling contracts you'll be paid in Filecoins, a crypto which can be traded for dollars ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Recently they raised some shiny millions as investment and are accepting peeps for the mining program. This is prolly all stale news for people in the know but it got me interested. Though I'm pretty sure lending 1TB of space won't get me anything shy of peanuts.

For people interested on reading the Whitepaper: Official Site

3. Enies

Enies Established Member

4. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

5. Kuze

Kuze 『WANTED』
    Contributor

Maybe so. It's mentioned in their research paper, which I've yet to completely finish reading.

6. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

Eww creepy. Dont like that idea of leaving it on forever. And what about virus threats?????

7. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

8. Chloe

Chloe [adult swim]

I had the opportunity to invest in Ethereum summer of 2016 and I decided against it.

Welp.

9. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

So is that a framework for cryptocurrency? I glanced at it online and am not sure on it. I still really dont understand cryptocurrency. Is Japan still the only country that accepts it? What retailers use it?

10. Enies

Enies Established Member

#10 Enies, Feb 1, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
  11. Chloe

Chloe [adult swim]

It IS a cryptocurrency. There aren't many retailers accepting them at the current moment, but they're not hard to convert to currency.

12. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

Thanks.

So is it similar to bittorrent where you have a shared network accessing a program? What exactly is the mining? Is it generating anything or are you being rewarded for sharing your bandwidth?

13. Chloe

Chloe [adult swim]

cryptomining is essentially using your pc resources to count the ledger of the currency, to keep count of the numbered existance of the currency.

14. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

Wow so a chicken and the egg thing? How did it start? I mean if technically theres nothing there what started it? Im assuming you retain ownership while your pc is off and you just dont get new stuff during downtime?

15. Chloe

Chloe [adult swim]

you receive the currency for helping count the ledger, and then it's retained in your wallet

16. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

Cool. Thanks. Cryptocurrency always seemed a bit out there. Now i've got a better idea of what the hell it is. :)

17. Enies

Enies Established Member

18. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

great read for anyone who watched babylon 5 and who has interest in how digital video works in the remaster/transfer realm:

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/babylon-5-great-why-does-153000660.html

Fyi i skipped over the interlace paragraph and skimmed a sentence or two here and there since i know quite about video in general from reading over the years and burning my own discs and making transfers from videotape and the like (albeit via capture card, all low budget stuff but enough to get the basics of how it all works, mostly).

Ashame they couldnt just retransfer the original as was suggested at the end. Reminds me of the harmy star wars despecialization project thats out there (forgot the acutal name sorry, just search for "star wars despecialization" and you'll find it).