The Rising of the Shield warrior.

Discussion in 'Anime' started by Shadow Fox, Jul 17, 2019.

1. Shadow Fox

Shadow Fox Enemy of the State
    Gold Founder

I am on episode 15 of this series currently and have seen tons of promos for it on various websites. So glad I finally checked this series out because this show is freaking AMAZING! Way the hell better than that pile of garbage SAO that weebs keep praising for some aweful reason. It starts off as a show where your typical geek gets sent into a fantasy world and while it has a light "your trapped in a video game" vibe to it, the show does a lot of different things with it that I have never seen from any other show that really makes it unique.

First off the main character, while he does get fairly strong, isn't some uber god like in overlord and isn't the guy who is whatever you call a male mary sue like in SAO. He, unlike the guy from Re:Zero actually manages through hard work and determination manages to become strong and best of yet it has the most dis-likable character in any anime I have ever seen. I thought Shou Tucker and Naraku were hatable, but I absolutely DESPISE Malty S. Melromarc aka Myne Sophia. The whole world seems to hate this guy and intentionally get in his way of saving it and he keeps trying anyway, even going as far as buying slaves to have team members which, if it were me I would had been much darker and more anti hero like. Can't wait to finish this series in the next day or two. What is ya'll opinion on this series, did you like it as much as I am right now?

2. Griffmeister

Griffmeister What the hell are you staring at?
    Gold Founder

I have actually not given this series any thought since there seemed to be no discussion and was unsure of the story. Now that you have given it such a rousing review I guess I’ll give it a try. Maybe when I get into a few eps. I can say how much I agree with you.

Of course I disagree somewhat with your view of RE:Zero, Subaru’s encounters were more of a learning experience on an intellectual level rather than, say, an adventurers need to power up by advancing to new levels. He needed to mature and learn how to best interact with the various characters in his new world.

3. Kuze

Kuze Heaven's not enough
    Contributor

Isekai shows are like the mecha of the 90s. Every season there's like 5 of em.

4. Shadow Fox

Shadow Fox Enemy of the State
    Gold Founder

But I liiiiiike Mecha, and SO many of them are like...SO good!

5. Griffmeister

Gold Founder

Well, aren’t there like dozens of shows that fit the same genre, no matter what that genre is? As long as it’s not a carbon copy and the characters are fairly well developed I’m okay with it. Yeah, I got sucked into this one with the mystery of the internal conflicts where there should be cooperation and the potential disaster that would ensue because of this. I’m three quarters of the way through this now and there are still questions to be resolved. It has been enjoyable enough for me.

6. Grungie

Grungie Established Member
    Contributor

Basically, every genre in every form of entertainment is guilty of it. The issue I see, is more of the glut of them coming out, rather than the lack of originality. With a lot of the other genres, there's one, maybe two if you're lucky every season, but with Isekai's, there's like four or five. So the shear frequency of them coming out tends to oversaturate the market, and can cause a burn out for people. Also with the frequency of them getting pumped out makes the "it's all the same" feeling happen faster, as opposed to one that's slowly coming out. I'm pretty sure when the studios get tired themselves on Isekais and just release like one or two every season, the hatedom towards the genre will die out, and will really just cater to fans of the genre.

I'm a big music nerd, and this also happens every few years. Some genre blows up, and the industry shoves it down peoples' throats for a few years straight. Then it dies off in the mainstream light. Years later when the oversaturation dies down, people will go back and look fondly upon the ones that stood out, and forget all the meh to terrible ones.

7. Griffmeister

Gold Founder

Ah, now I get it. It’s like there should be someone out there that can oversee what’s in the works and watch where the market’s going to temper the binge and purge cycle.

8. Grungie

Grungie Established Member
    Contributor

I think the bottom line for most companies is to just make money, so if a fad comes along and blows up in popularity, they go nuts to try and make as much money as possible, as quickly as possible.

9. Dunn x Dolo

Dunn x Dolo King of the Chatroom
    Silver Founder

I enjoyed the Manga. Havent seen the anime yet, but will at some point. There apparently is something going around online about how the women are being treated in the series which is causing an uproar or some shit but I honestly don't see it. People making controversy for the sake of controversy I guess.

I like the MC and how supposedly he starts off having the supposed worst weapon yet somehow ends up the strongest character. Cant wait to finish the series. Also Malty is a bitch but I dislike the rest of the heroes even more. Its good cuz it just makes the MC shine more though.

10. Pinky The Blue Flamingo

Pinky The Blue Flamingo Too old for this shit
    Staff Advisory Editor-in-Chief Gold Founder

From what i understand the uproar is based around the light novels, I read as much as I could stomach (Ive read better writing on fanfiction.net) and I totally get it. Naofumi is a self important douche of the highest caliber. Im soooo fucking glad they changed him in the anime adaptation. I heard several scenes were changed from the LNs as well and I can only say it was for the better.

Dunn x Dolo likes this.