Traditional The Sakuga Photography Thread

Discussion in 'Art & Design' started by yoda313, May 29, 2016.

1. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

gotta post these. went to a state park today and got some good flower shots and a few odds and ends. (edit - there are 4 total - looks like one got in the spoiler bracket of another)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Alca

Alca Composer
    Bronze Founder

I went to a stunt event a few weeks ago and took a couple of pictures. I'm not really used to taking action photography so this was a first, hopefully some of them turned out ok though.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Taken using a Nikon D3300 w/ Kit AF-S DX 18-55mm VR Lens

#62 Alca, Aug 27, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2017
    Narilka likes this.
  3. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

Wow a sport unicycle :D cool alca.

4. Alca

Alca Composer
    Bronze Founder

Are you talking about the first picture lol? It's actually a bicycle, I guess the angle kind of makes it look like a unicycle by accident though. Thanks though Yoda

5. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

Ha i guess so. Must have super gimble turning abilities :D

Alca likes this.
  6. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

I have still been taking pictures at local parks even in the winter! I just haven't gotten around to uploading any here. Sorry. I took this one today - it was in a river under a freeway bridge:
    [​IMG]
    I got some sweet closeups of those crystal formations. I would have gone back to the little (20ft or so?) waterfall just up the way but my toes just about froze while i was out there. Didnt wear boots.... yeah... But enjoy :) Cool frozen river. But there are obviously open parts this was just a super cool part.

7. Shannon Apple

Shannon Apple Sour Apple
    Staff Member Administrator

I was just looking through this thread, honestly for the first time. Some really nice pictures in here from everyone. :D It's a shame that a lot of the links are broken because people later deleted or moved them from the source location.

These ones are absolutely stunning @Pinky The Blue Flamingo

8. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

@shanon - does our host site have a pic option? That way it could stay on our site.

9. Pinky The Blue Flamingo

Pinky The Blue Flamingo Too old for this shit
    Staff Advisory Editor-in-Chief Gold Founder

Yeah it does, bit there are size limitations, and its a pain in the ass. Id just stick with flickr if you are worried about hosting.

10. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

Actually it was in ref to shanons complaint about removed pics. Too bad its not the best option.

11. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

Gotta post again. Went to the river yesterday morning. there was freezing rain friday morning and then snow during the day. It was like 10 or 15 degrees f in the morning saturday so the ice formations on the shoreline were still there:

[​IMG]

Pretty cool stuff. Like stalagtites or stalagmites in a cave :)

käwäii and Alca like this.
  12. Alca

Alca Composer
    Bronze Founder

Nice shot!

This is a picture I took over Christmas while walking my dog. Thought I'd share it. Getting him to stay still for one moment was harder than I thought though.

[​IMG]

13. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

Thanks alca :) the river was full of those ice drips.

I like the snow in your shot. Is it falling or did your dog roll in the snow?

14. käwäii

käwäii Active Member
    Bronze Founder

Looks cool, neat looking ice. (y) And now I'm yet saddened again 'cause I don't have my SLR-camera anymore. Next time when I buy yet again a new camera, I swear I'll never ever sell it again. :LOL:

yoda313 likes this.
  15. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

Thanks kawaii :)

I would like a dslr but man pricey!! I love my refurbished fufilm finepix. Its basically a prosumer model. No lens support though. But it has a 18x optical zoom and a wide angle lens. Plus macro up to .8 inch away. And a manual mide option though its not anywhere near the scalibity of a dslr but its cool at a fraction of the cost.

16. käwäii

käwäii Active Member
    Bronze Founder

There are probably 100x times better photographers and people who know more about equipment than I do, but personally I think that when getting a SLR-camera, the body isn't as important when thinking about the whole entirety. Lens is what matters much more. When I bought my first camera which was Canon EOS 30D, it was about 13 years old then. I saved money by buying a lot older body for the camera, so I could put more money into a better lens. So my point is, that if you can settle for a basic lens, you can get yourself a SLR-camera very cheaply actually if you get one that has an older frame/body. And that finepix you have yoda sounds very nice, it sounds something that would very good for a beginner photographer, seems like it has enough features.

17. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

Thanks kawaii. I like to think im a mid experienced photographer who is justa little cheap on equipment :) but i get good shots when i can.

I am thinking of looking into some filter adapters they make for non dslr cameras. Stuff that clamps on so you can fit a filter over the fixed lens. Not sure on price though.

18. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

I got my adapters and filters!!! I got a lens filter adapter for my fui - 60.00. Came with a polarizer, uv and a damn cant think of the third one it came with. it was a 72mm adapter. It does have an inner 58mm portion but I'm not a 100% sure that regular filters can fit on that portion. I did buy a VARIABLE NEUTRAL DENSITY FILTER. So now I can do LONG EXPOSURES!!!!!! (got a polariod one for just 40.00 plus shipping from b and h).

My fuji has up to 8 sec exposure mode but anytime i tried it on any setting it was always blown out pure white basically. Once i read up on it and watched a bunch of youtube videos on long exposure i learned about the f stop variable neutral density filters (or the fixed ones, the one i got has a gradation that can iris out to 6 or 8 stops, cant rembmer). It is so cool!!!!!!!!

I just took these two below this evening just as the sun was beginnning to set. It was perfect lighting almost as it was a waterfall that was right by a bridge and the sun was practically pointed directly at the waterfall through the underpass. Absolutely amazing when it was out. It was cloudy all day but it opened up long enough at sunset to work out for me. These below are both at 3 second exposures - well one might be 4 seconds - i was looking at the file info but i looked through so many i took i cant remember for sure.

[​IMG]

And another:
    [​IMG]

it was so cool :D It ended up only being about a half hour of shooting time but it felt like forever in a good way. It was one of those times when time just seemed to stop. Yes i realize the irony when talking about long exposure photography :D :D I never thought I'd get this much photography done in the winter months. Granted I freeze every time but the shots have been nothing short of amazing. This is just a small sample of the ones I got. I took over a 100 :D :D

It's so cool to see results from all the learning ive been doing. its also nice to know the equipment really does make a difference as far as filters go. I'm almost tempted to get a star point filter just for the heck of it.

edit - for some reason the first pic isnt showing up in the thread but only in the edit window. So i'll repost it here:

[​IMG]

#78 yoda313, Feb 16, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2018