The Stuff I'm Watching Thread.

Discussion in 'Film & Television' started by Oh Snape, Aug 9, 2017.

1. Oh Snape

Oh Snape House Bantsratheon
    Staff Advisory

Handmaidens Tale seems a bit bleak for January but I do need to see it.

Anyone watching Star Trek Discovery and how patronising is this show? Yes cool reveal that we figured out before season break but go ahead and spell it out like we're watching Dexter. Hopefully Michelle Yeoh gets some screen time.

2. Narilka

Narilka Destroyer of Worlds
    Staff Member Moderator Platinum Founder

@Oh Snape It's bleak for any month, just do it!

3. Gaff

Gaff Za Warudo
    Silver Founder Plus

While I'm still on the clock with Netflix, I thought I'd try their Punisher series. Now that I'm seven eps in, I've been finding it a bit obvious at times, but it seems pretty solid - Jon Bernthal is perfectly cast as Frank and it does a good job of making things a bit more morally ambiguous than the usual, Death Wish-style vigilante pap.

Still guessing as to what purpose Lewis is going to serve though. By sheer process of elimination, my money is currently on him killing the Liebermans at the end of the season, because Frank Castle cannot have nice things, like friends.

4. Kaynil

Kaynil Senior Member

Been watching Gotham. On season two right now. Pretty interesting.
    If you guys got a thread for it I will happily go in more detail on it, hahah.

5. Shannon Apple

Shannon Apple Sour Apple
    Staff Member Administrator

I finally watched this, and I really enjoyed it. It's so well put together.

Been keeping up with Star Trek Discovery on Netflix, and really enjoying it. Enterprise was such a ball of crap that I didn't even finish watching it at the time it was airing. Deep Space Nine was kinda looming just behind Enterprise in being crap. My favourites were Voyager and The Next Generation. This one is right up there with my favourites, despite all the fan angst. I don't really care what the trekkies say lol. I like that it's different. Sure, it deviates from the timeline that we're used to, but given the way this is going, I'm almost willing to bet that it's set in an alternate universe.

I also finished watching Merlin. I did watch some episodes here and there back when it was on TV, but it's hard to keep up with shows every week when you're forced to watch at a particular time. I gave up on it. I really liked it a lot more than I thought I would. It was effortlessly funny in parts as well. Haha! My one MAJOR peev was Morgana. Her Irish accent was so off-putting for the first while. It's not because her accent is so familiar, it's because it just didn't fit into this world and she made no effort to neutralise it. When I got used to her, it didn't bother me anymore.

6. Oh Snape

Staff Advisory

Deep Space Nine was awesome. Discovery is good sci-fi show but a mediocre Star Trek. 13 episodes and they visited one planet. One! Well 2. It has picked up though and Jason Isaacs makes a cracking villian. The rest of the cast are mostly background props.

Hope Lorca is still around in some form. Interesting how Michael wanted to know how mirror verse Klingons etc could form an allegiance with other races and use this in her own universe to combat the race purity klingons. Except now she has mirror Phillipa at her side who is more like this universe Klingons in terms of ideology and can give them an insight into how they think/work. Or join forces with them lol. Defo want to know what the mirror verse discovery that swapped places with the original has been up to.

Anyway great to have Michelle back and effects were great in last episode.

2 episodes to go so many questions.

I liked first episode of Punisher. It managed to get the origin story and his ptsd into the flashbacks and the slow burn pacing really built up the tension. That sledgehammer was always gonna be used on someones face. The ultra-violence was a bit too realistic though, lol. Needs more corn syrup. Fell asleep during episode 2. Will give it another go, Bernthal is great.

7. Shannon Apple

Shannon Apple Sour Apple

I found DS9 incredibly boring to be honest, when compared with the other two. I dunno what it was, it just didn't connect with me. DS9 wasn't something that I watched from start to finish. I more or less watched episodes here and there when there wasn't anything else on. Perhaps, by the time it aired, I had become bored with the staleness of the series overall. :p This is why I find Discovery refreshing. It's not afraid to push boundaries, and there are lots out there who love to hate it. They complain like crazy each week about it's deviation from the timeline, but they're still watching. Hehe!

8. Enies

Enies Established Member

just started mindhunters and knights of sidonia.

Mindhunters is pretty good detective/police show i've been craving recently. pretty disturbing to say the least though.

9. Shannon Apple

Shannon Apple Sour Apple

I binge watched the Shannara Chronicles season 2. What a mess! It's really no wonder that they cancelled it. The first season wasn't great, but it left me interested enough to check out the second season.

10. Gaff

Gaff Za Warudo
    Silver Founder Plus

Finished The Punisher. It was consistently good throughout and I liked how grounded it felt compared to so much of Marvel's other output, but, I don't know, there was never any point where I stopped and thought 'this is something a bit special'. There's also a particular sequence that I thought wasn't so much a cheeky nod to cancelled Jon Bertnthal series Mob City, as lazy plagarism. Bernthal is spot on though - after a while with the show, you can't imagine anyone else being Frank Castle.

Off the back of that one, I also sampled Daredevil. It's quite good; the action is suitably crunchy and the cast keep it believable, but after watching three episodes in a row, I don't feel any great need to continue with it for now.

11. Oh Snape

Staff Advisory

I'll have to check Mob City, Bernthal is a star and Punisher would be meh without him. 3 episodes in and I'm liking it more and more but wonder what the end game is for the show. Is there redemption on the cards or is he perpetually stuck in his own revenge begets revenge spiral of hell? The Afghanistan angle is great in flashback form but when we get to present its kinda dull with boring ass characters (well the hacker guy is interesting). Except that merc guy. He seems like the villian the show needs.

3rd rule of hate club. Be sure to watch show you are hating on. Also, is Tilly an ancestor of Janeway?

12. Gaff

Gaff Za Warudo
    Silver Founder Plus

Yeah, I don't think Agent Madani ever became especially interesting, but I think the dynamic between Frank and Liberman the hacker was pretty well done. Ep 4 was a bit of a dip for me, but it picks up again in 5.

Mob City was decent though. I think it wanted to be LA Confidential: The Series and didn't hit its target, but it was an absorbing little potboiler and it's a shame it got canned after just one season.

13. Kaynil

Kaynil Senior Member

I am almost all caught up with Gotham and gosh, has it gone downhill. I am going to rant so spoilers ahead if you're behind the episode 8 of season 4.

There are moments where I am just poking fun with my partner on the other media it seems to be borrowing from. Gordon gets treated like James Bond, The relationship between Bruce, the kidnapper and the butler felt like a rehash of star wars. Characters I feel were enjoyable get shot in the face and characters I still question why on earth are they dragging them for so long get to be season after season. Of them, Barbara is the one I can stand the less. I don't find her sexy and I don't buy her escalating act into a badass smart woman. She has never gotten dirty, considering the stuff she's done. It feels like the writers love her and shield her from anything. Then you have Lee, she had a nice arc, even with them dragging her into season 3 for an obvious triangle and then by some huge coincidence the guy she fell in love making a life outside of Gotham ends up being the son of an established Gotham presence, it just felt very forced to me. They still managed to close the arc by making her leave Gotham, cured and back to her old self... of course not anymore. Thanks, season 4.

I like Brandy is now in but I am sure I don't want them to drag on the smart character turns dumb trope they got going with his best friend. I am still interested in how it plays out and the lunatic of the season seems quite interesting. I am also excited seeing Bruce Wayne adopt more and more quirks that definitely leads to the facades we know, both sides as the Millionaire and as the Dark Knight.

14. wesleyv1

wesleyv1 Mokoto "revy" kino

Almost done watching arrow season 5. I've enjoyed arrow but I'm not sure where the show can go after this do to its nature but i hope it doesn't end

15. Gaff

Gaff Za Warudo
    Silver Founder Plus

Started on Mindhunter the other day. Enjoying it so far - Holden's 'golly gee' innocent do-gooder schtick can be a bit grating at times, but I think it makes a nice contrast with the horrific nature of the criminals he works on.

Also: two episodes in and they bang out Psycho Killer by the Talking Heads as the end theme. Yaaaassss....

16. wesleyv1

wesleyv1 Mokoto "revy" kino

Update

They did setup a s6. I'm curious to how they'll handle the flashback segments or if they'll have them at all

17. Oh Snape

Staff Advisory

Mindhunters was great. The lead is an asshole. But I wanted to give him a hug during that bit in finale. Seriously unnerving scene. Look forward to S2.

Finished The Punisher. Hmm lets just say it has some great performances but show is uneven. Mostly due to its structure and glacial pacing. Noway should this be 13 episodes long and they can ditch a whole story arc (I'm looking at you agent Madani.....Frank and and Lieberman figure everything before her anyways....) as well the rather awkward gun debate strand which seems to be shoehorned near the end in just because. The domestic terrorist angle more than sufficed on its own and things just get bloated for no reason at the business end of proceedings.

Also doesn't help that they go all Rashomon/non linear structure for a pivotal episode where they conclude some plot elements. Shit is juts needlessly confusing. That said, show has something to say about violence (some truly unpleasant stuff that they force you to watch over and over....) and the thin line between vigilante and criminal psychopath and as mentioned, well acted and it looks the part.

Its just......no fun lol.

18. Gaff

Gaff Za Warudo
    Silver Founder Plus

Yeah, would concur on Punisher. Strangely, as much as I appreciated how grounded and down to earth it was compared to a lot of the other Marvel output, I can't say I didn't miss the 1989 version with the scenery chewing yakuza bosses and ninjas on waterslides.

Also finished S1 of Mindhunter - nothing too revelatory, but was certainly compelling. Surprised at how a certain plot strand just turned out to be a giant tease for S2 though.

19. Oh Snape

Staff Advisory

That show really could've done with a Dolph Lundgren cameo.

Just getting ready to watch Counterpart episode 7. Aesome stuff and one of the better parallel reality shows. Namely as theres only 2 realities to keep track. Some great set-ups that should up the anti as we reach the final third. JK Simmons sells the premise brilliantly. Those are 2 distinct characters he's playing and its no mean feat. The premise is bonkers so the quicker you get over that the better. Great female c=supporting cast.

Finally, just discovered the funniest live action show in years. Your Pretty Face Is Going To Hell.

One of the more SFW clips. Can't believe this is on Adult Swim. Note - tons of gore. And toilet humor. Literally.

20. Griffmeister

Griffmeister What the hell are you staring at?
    Gold Founder

Maybe it’s just a one time thing, but if you have Netflix you should watch The Push. It’s a real social experiment to see how far someone will go to be socially compliant. Amazing results with plenty of situations that can be both shocking and funny.