The Stuff I'm Watching Thread.

Discussion in 'Film & Television' started by Oh Snape, Aug 9, 2017.

1. Novaire

Novaire Serial Editor
    Editor Contributor Gold Founder

Derren is amazing - his stuff is always great. Hopefully, Netflix will pick up some of his back catalog as well because they are genuinely amazing.

He's done at least 13 specials that I know of, and several TV shows, all of which are pretty awesome.

2. Oh Snape

Oh Snape House Bantsratheon
    Staff Advisory

Darren Brown has defo sold his soul to the devil. Or maybe people will do anything they've told as long as its in a British accent. But yeah, scary how many tried and tested techniques to manipulate people exist and shits like an open secret. Wondered what happened to this guy his specials were tv events here when they aired. Back when 'TV' was a thing lolz.

3. Gaff

Gaff Za Warudo
    Silver Founder Plus

So, Westworld is a thing again.

New Dolores is pretty terrifying.

4. Novaire

Novaire Serial Editor
    Editor Contributor Gold Founder

I started watching House a few days ago and it is just awesome.

The show completely skips the pilot period - the bits where a show is trying to find it's feet - it's incredible right out of the gate. By episode 2, which I'm sure I've seen before, I was hooked. I'm most of the way through the first season at this point and I can't wait to watch more.

Hugh Laurie is fantastic and the sort of nuanced American accent he's doing for the role is beyond captivating. On top of that, I just love the House character. Also, coming from the standpoint of someone who loves comedies and watches a metric tonne of sitcoms the idea of a doctor who really enjoys General Hospital and ER is gold. It's just a really funny series when it boils down to it, and that's back up by a great medical drama. I'm really digging it.

5. Oh Snape

Staff Advisory

Watched episode 1 of The City & The City.

Loved the book, think its unfilmable but the producers have nailed the look and visuals. Good cast and its 4 episodes long. Thank fuck the BBC always go for quality over quantity.

Will start Westworld S2 and new Into The Badlands on the weekend. Maybe finally start 30 Rock if I'm exceptionally hung over.

6. Gaff

Gaff Za Warudo
    Silver Founder Plus

Watched the first episode of The City and The City, but... eh. I really like the yellowed, Eastern-bloc aesthetic in Besźel, but I feel it leans a little too hard on its visual effects at times, and once you get past the central conceit about the twin cities, it feels like quite standard police procedural stuff underneath. I don't dislike it, but I have enough in my viewing list otherwise that I'm unsure if I want to continue with it. I keep feeling like I'd rather have the mooted second season of Deutschland 83, in all honesty.

7. Oh Snape

Staff Advisory

Yeah, everytime I go on iplayer I end up watching something else. Yes, I am already hooked on Britain's Best Home Cook.

So no one watching Atlanta season 2? Ky.

Liked first 2 episodes of Cobra Kai. But with no free trail in UK and 1.89 per episode they can wax, fuck off with that one. Might try and force myself to finish Counterpart as well.

Seinfeld is in the news again so I might start that if they start repeating it to shit on cable. Again.

8. Gaff

Gaff Za Warudo
    Silver Founder Plus

This week's Westworld contains quite possibly the greatest two word sentence in human history.

"Shit, ninjas!"

9. wesleyv1

wesleyv1 Mokoto "revy" kino

On s2 of agents of shield. It's really cool that it ties into the mcu

10. christ

christ ...

You all need to stop what you're doing right now and check out Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency
    and Danger 5
    and Italian Spiderman

11. Oh Snape

Staff Advisory

Danger 5 looks like live action archer. I'll have to check that.

12. Griffmeister

Griffmeister What the hell are you staring at?
    Gold Founder

Dirk Gently in live action? Loved the book, hope they stay true to form.

13. Oh Snape

Staff Advisory

I've not read the books but friends who did hated it. I couldn't stand some of the characters but it was weirdly good and the music was awesome. I might give it another go.

14. christ

christ ...

I like the books and the show. I can understand that a hardcore fan might have an issue with the show. It has more of an american feel to it as far as the humor goes, but at least there is no direct comparison to draw because it is an original story. It still feels like something Douglas would have done. I would compare it to the Hitchhiker's Guide movie. Not as british as the books or show, but still damn good.

#114 christ, May 23, 2018
    Last edited: May 23, 2018
  15. Scruffie

Scruffie Pro Tarantula Bro-Fister
    Editor

I just finished the latest season of 13 reasons why. I watched it because one of the teens I work with is watching it and I wanted to know what she was in for.

I've watched a lot of fucked up shit, but I finished the last episode about 8 hours ago and I'm still reeling. Horrible, horrible scene towards the end and I am astounded that they recommend teens watch it. Parents maybe, but not teens. Awful

16. Oh Snape

Staff Advisory

17. Enies

Enies Famous Member

same here. could it be maybe because people can't stop talking about it and hyping it up hmm?

18. Interest1ng

Interest1ng SC's AmbASSador.... MAWP!!!

Season 2 seems to cover that with little Anti-Suicide adverts which was smart on their part. And I think in Season 2 the story seems to grow from a serious thing to a more I don't want to say comedic stance, but sort of daytime TV take on it.

@Oh Snape The Rain is on my list of shows to watch. The trailer seemed "okay". As for Westworld S2 ended last night. I am still 3 eps behind, but so far it seems to close/open more questions cheers to the fan theories that will tell us all the answers we need.

19. Oh Snape

Staff Advisory

Man first episode of Westworld is doing my nut in. Apart from seemingly spazing all of the plot inside 5 minutes the sound effects and scene transitions are jarring as fuck.

I'll give it another go as it looks like they spent monies on it but yeah this gonna be a chore methinks.

20. ReymousFumes

ReymousFumes Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Nerd
    Contributor

Been watching a lot of documentaries lately. It started with a nostalgia trip to Animal Planet's "The Most Extreme", then I soon craved for more disturbing docs that dramatize the aspects of real life. There's just something more fun watching a documentary discussing the terrifying parts of real animals or phenomenon than say... a fictional horror/sci-fi movie. I mean, it's scarier because it's real. lol

Currently, I have on my watch list:
    1. Perfect Disaster (made by Impossible Pictures (AKA the "Walking with Dinosaurs" staff)
    2. Animal Armageddon
    3. Life After People

All very intense docs that explore natural disasters and their effects. Doubt I would find anything more amusing than this for a while. I tried looking up "Animal Face-Off", but they don't have the full episodes on YouTube, only the fight scenes (meh). Already seen all three "Walking With..." series, so that's a no go. I've also seen "The Future is Wild", "Alien Planet", "Sea Monsters" (another doc by Impossible Pictures), "Prehistoric Park" (IP again), "Animal X", and "Lost Tapes". Mostly, the docs that feature dinosaurs or aggressive animals interest me, but most of these natural docs are so tame.

It's just too bad Impossible Pictures no longer produced any more "Walking With" series. I watched the hell out of their trilogy, even the Sea Monsters and Chased By Dinosaurs spin-offs. I remember especially fondly the ending to "Walking with Beasts"... "And if all this has taught us anything, it is this: no species lasts forever." God, that's such a chilling line, and so true. lol I read that an asteroid is going to bombard us all to extinction in 2029. Geez, I would rather Thanos just snap us all into oblivion. Would be less painful.

Btw, Lost Tapes was quite fun. Most of these cryptozoology docs take a long time to get to the good part due to their footage of witnesses and folklore, but these are guilty pleasures for me. They can be so bad, especially with their found footage format, but it's fun to entertain the idea that Bigfoot is somewhere out there killing people. lol

#120 ReymousFumes, Jul 3, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2018