The Stuff I'm Watching Thread.

Discussion in 'Film & Television' started by Oh Snape, Aug 9, 2017.

1. Gaff

Gaff Za Warudo
    Silver Founder Plus

I really enjoyed the second season of Westworld, up until the finale. Its overall trajectory now feels eerily reminiscent of Lost, insomuch as they've gone through a feverishly intense bout of creativity that's suddenly run out, and left them with little idea how to proceed. It's no great secret that a third season has been green lit, but I'm nowhere near as enthusiastic as I was about the prospect of a second.

kura likes this.
  2. Shannon Apple

Shannon Apple Sour Apple
    Staff Member Administrator

Finally watching Zoo. Interesting concept lol. Animals try to take over the world due to some genetic mutation that makes them team up with each and become more aggressive toward humans. Super far fetched, but entertaining none the less.

3. Shannon Apple

Shannon Apple Sour Apple

AND... that was freakin terrible. I liked season one. It got kinda mad in season 2, but still liked it despite the plotholes and failure to stick with it's own story. Like, they had this mutant gene thingy caused by Raiden Global. They were apparently putting it in all of their products. Then suddenly no, it was actually caused by some crazy scientist in the 1800's. None of it made sense.

Enter season 3. I have never seen it compared to Game of Thrones before, but I'm going to do it. The last few episodes became a messy fucked up rip off of GoT season 7. The difference being that GoT is actually good. Massive wall holding back homocidal mindless creatures? Check! Homocidal mindless creatures raised from the dead? Check! Someone worse can use their mind to control mindless homocidal creatures? Check! If the wall comes down, everything else will become homocidal and mindless? Check. Something massive smashes through wall? Check.

As soon as I watched the last episode, I made that comparison and was so fkn angry for wasting my time on it. No wonder the show got cancelled. I don't even care that it ended on a cliffhanger. The last few episodes made me hate Zoo despite finding it's jumbled up mess of madness entertaining up to that point.

Oh Snape likes this.
  4. Oh Snape

Oh Snape House Bantsratheon
    Staff Member Moderator

^This is what this thread is about. Other people watching shit shows so you don't have to!

Finally got through first episode of Westworld. Messing around with sound equaliser helped tone down the annoying sound effects and jarring score (IT DOESN'T NEED TO PLAYING ALL THE TIME DIPSHITS) but its too much hassle and I'm hoping I just get used to it.

Anyway, this show is worth checking for the cast, dialogue and production values so I'm defo gonna wade through it. Pretty disturbing opening actually, damn, and I took 3 goes watching it as well.

@Gaff - that sucks, hopefully they provide some answers as they go along instead of Losts 'just keep adding cliff hangers and plotlines they're all dead anyway lolz. Not a fan of answering questions with more questions.

5. Gaff

Gaff Za Warudo
    Silver Founder Plus

If they'd even just ended it there, it would probably be fine, but it feels like maybe the concept's just run its course.

While looking for something else to justify my continued Netflix subscription, I was recently recommended The Frankenstein Chronicles. It's pretty decent; widowed Sean Bean mumbles his way around Georgian London seeking a serial killer apparently inspired by Mary Shelley's recent novel. Feels a bit reminiscent of Penny Dreadful, although making that comparison makes me miss Eva Green...

6. ReymousFumes

ReymousFumes Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Nerd
    Contributor

So I just watched the very first episode of the original "Twilight Zone" from 1959. I've been wanting to watch this series for a long time now, having been a big fan of horror anthology series. Although this one is more sci-fi than horror, eh, it's close enough. I'm also watching "Tales from the Darkside" soon enough, so that one will provide me with the horror anyway.

The first episode titled "Where is Everybody?" is great fun. While the twist is quite far-fetched, maybe even more far-fetched than the aforementioned "Ghost Stories" that I reviewed earlier, it's a 1959 show, so I'll let it slide.Besides, I really liked how the twist was built up. It's quite natural and keeps you guessing. Good stuff. 7/10

7. Gaff

Gaff Za Warudo
    Silver Founder Plus

Finally started watching Hannibal. Top stuff so far, although I can't not think of Death Stranding every time Mads is on screen now.

Also The Deuce came back. Elvis Costello on the soundtrack and everything.

8. Enies

Enies Famous Member

just started watching gundam mobile suit unicorn thats out on netflix right now

9. Oh Snape

Staff Member Moderator

Watching Rob Stark in 'Bodygaurd.' Final episode today. Awesome phugging show. Twists, turns and wtf's all round. The story is 'out there' but action and violence is 'realistic.' Well......

Top stuff.

Watched season 1 of Snowfall and uptodate on s2. Its good, fantastic cst ad direction but a bit cliche to say the least. Cannot be arsed to get back into Westworld and I have 2 episodes of new 'The Expanse' left. Will wait until ore Deuce episodes are out. Best show of 2017 that.

New Narcos in November but new True Detective is out next year. New 'Fargo' with Chris Rock should be great. That out in 2020!

10. Neji195

Neji195 Not your average "Newbie"

I heard Ozark was pretty good. I have to check it out.

I'm currently watching HBO's Insecure. which is a brilliant show about life and relationships. I'm rewatching 'The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air.' Who doesn't love Will Smith? I'm patiently waiting for Stranger Things season 3, and I will hopefully continue Attack on Titan.

11. ReymousFumes

Contributor

Been watching the 1996 Hong Kong version of "Journey to the West" for the past few weeks. Used to watch this as a child, but the nostalgia bug bit and got me into rewatching a few episodes again, and I kept watching more episodes since then.

The series was only loosely based on the Chinese novel of the same name, and the writing's kinda corny, but even with that considered, Dicky Cheung's charisma and wit as Sun Wukong kept me watching (even though there was an entire arc of five or six episodes where Wukong was absent). The drama revolving round themes of repentance and perseverance in the face of harsh reality also made it quite an engaging watch, even if its adherence to Buddhist values is not as impactful on an agnostic Christian like myself.

I particularly liked one of its earlier story arcs where a side character met a rather bittersweet fate after all the trouble he caused. It's quite appropriate that a number of characters met such a fate where no ideal happy endings are present, since Buddhism tends to value "suffering" as part of mortal life, enduring such a harsh fate to be worthy of entering heaven. It also adds quite a few emotional moments to the story because of such writing. I never really liked unrealistic happy endings where everything wraps up nicely anyway, so it works for me.

The only major complaint I have is that there were quite a few contrived moments, especially in one story arc where Tang Sanzang (the monk leading the quintet) was fooled into thinking that Wukong erred in his ways. The method in which he was fooled felt so forced and stupid. Any one with half a brain could have seen through the trickery, but Sanzang acted like a total naive idiot, which bugged me to no end. The arc I'm watching now revolves round some spider-demons in pursuit of some long lost lover, which is fine for romance fans, I guess, but I don't really enjoy romance stories... lol The love interest pursuing Wukong is quite interesting though (and kinda cute), but because of Wukong's strict adherence to Buddhist values (which contains abstinence to love, lust, and other earthly emotions), I could tell that this would only end badly...

Anyway, I'm reaching the end of season 1. Not sure if I'll continue with season 2, since Wukong is played by a different actor (Benny Chan) in that one, and from what I could recall, he just wasn't as witty or even handsome. Not much appeal there after Dicky's departure. It's also 40 episodes long as opposed to season 1's 30, so to suffer through such a long season without the main appeal, meh, I don't know.

Oh Snape likes this.
  12. wesleyv1

wesleyv1 Mokoto "revy" kino

Right now I'm watching baki on netflix but around episode 5 or six i watched the agretsco and bojack Christmas specials. Baki is a semi sequel series that is based on an arch from the manga that takes place sometime after the archs from the first anime and it's pretty badass so far. Agretscos Christmas special pretty much picks up right where the show drops off and is pretty fun but kinda lacks the charm of the show but that's kinda understandable. I have no idea where the bojack special fits in to continuety. I mean it's basically just him and Todd watching a horsin around Christmas special, which is kinda ironic now that I think about it but it's still bojack so there's nothing wrong with that i guess

Oh Snape likes this.
  13. ReymousFumes

Contributor

[​IMG]
    BANDERSNATCH REVIEW

Oh boy. This is going to be hard to talk about...

...or that's what I thought at the beginning, before I watched the first five seconds of this episode. It pretty much spoiled the main gimmick of what made this episode 'special'. In short: it's an interactive movie.

That being said, it's a nice gimmick that's sure to get thousands, perhaps millions of people to finally subscribe to Netflix, right?

Right?

Whoopsie! One month free trial. Whoopsie! Cancelled immediately after finishing watching the episode. Whoopsie! So much for the piracy-aversion countermeasure, AKA PAC(man) [an acronym that's surely going to be important during the interactive episode]. Whoopsie!

But jokes aside, it's not a bad story. However, you could definitely feel that Black Mirror has lost its shine ever since season 3, especially when they had to incorporate such a "socially relevant" gimmick to get with the times, when games with choices are all the rage. Being an interactive movie, its central theme is naturally... can anyone guess? That's right - fate and destiny! Definitely wouldn't have seen that coming!

But to be fair, aside from one ending focusing on such a theme (and feeling like something outta that mediocre "Butterfly Effect" movie, a guilty pleasure of mine), it's also mixed with a few other themes as well. Because of our ability to control the actions of the protagonist, the story even goes meta a little bit and delve into parallel realities, and even delusion and insanity. So there's quite a bit of a mash-up of themes here that can feel oddly unsatisfying depending on the ending you reach. Personally, the most satisfying "ending" I reached was the aforementioned one that deals with fate. In the terms of a visual novel, you could even call it "the true ending" since it feels like it's the one that bears the most "closure". Furthermore, it's also the ending that feels the most like an ordinary Black Mirror cynical ending.

So what's my verdict on this? 7/10. Nice gimmick, and a good attempt to improve on the future of streaming services. I do feel tempted to encourage more interactive movies like this in the future, but at the same time, I can also see that it's a very problematic way of writing a story, and can leave the viewer unsatisfied depending on the kind of ending they reached, or the amount of time they spent to reach it. I spent at least four hours just rewinding the episode, hoping to get a happier ending.

Alas, such is not the nature of the twisted world that is Black Mirror.

Footnote: Hype for season 5 regardless! I'm still excited for the new episodes!

Oh Snape likes this.
  14. wesleyv1

wesleyv1 Mokoto "revy" kino

Watching 3below, a spinoff of trollhunters. While not as good as trollhunters i find myself really liking this show and it's cool to see arcadia again even though it is a bit weird sometimes. Like, you know when you're playing a video game and you're on a level that is clearly from another show or game but your character is brand new? That's kinda what it's like

15. Dunn x Dolo

Dunn x Dolo King of the Chatroom
    Silver Founder

Started watching "Elementary."

Really enjoy the show. A modernized Sherlock Holmes and Watson. While its still a crime drama the story is very captivating. I really dislike how they did Moriarity though, but I kinda see why they went the way they did. Only on season 2 but I am glad its pretty lengthy and around 6 seasons at 24 episodes a season.

16. Griffmeister

Griffmeister What the hell are you staring at?
    Gold Founder

Just finished watching The Umbrella Academy on Netflix. It was.... different. Actually, I did enjoy it what with all the different powers and the end of the world part that keeps coming up. Of course the ending was a set-up for season 2, just have to hope there is one although you could draw your own conclusions if it doesn’t happen.

After that ended I sort of got interested in the Deathnote story but didn’t see the anime available, However, CR has the live action version so I started that instead. It didn’t translate too well into live action, but it’s not one of the worst attempts that I’ve seen, either. Will probably stick with it unless the acting or special effects get really bad.

17. Oh Snape

Staff Member Moderator

I was gonna start Umbrella Academy but Colony caught my eye. Thought it was a movie but I'm binging the hell out of it. 3 season out so far.

Pretty cool show, flips the script so we essentially have Americans playing the insurgents. The bad guys are known as The Host and I'm assuming they're Aliens. They sue drones and local paramilitaries to keep the populace subdued. Oooooh real world events.

I don't like the main guy. Weak bro. Weak.

18. tripplej

tripplej Well-Known Member

Started watching Umbrella Academy. So far it is good. Will continue. Thanks for the recommendation.

19. WubbaLubbaDubDub

WubbaLubbaDubDub Well-Known Member
    Contributor Gold Founder

Started Handmaid's Tale season 3. From what I can tell it's a documentary about Trump's America....JK...I think.

Anyways it's actually really good! Highly recommend the watch. So far season three is a little bit of a letter but I'm going it will pick it. I want the main character to be like a Harriet Tubman tracking women to Canada, but I can't see that happening at this point.

Hopefully there's more boobs this season.

20. Shannon Apple

Shannon Apple Sour Apple

Colony got friggen cancelled. I really liked that show, but like so many, they just fkn end them without warning. There were fan petitions, so maybe it will get a movie-length episode to finish out the series, but... highly unlikely.