Drama The Walking Dead - Current Season

Discussion in 'Film & Television' started by 4xdblack, Oct 24, 2016.

1. 4xdblack

4xdblack Accomplished Booty-Cop
    Silver Founder Plus

[​IMG]

If you haven't watched the latest episodes and don't like spoilers, read at your own risk.

Decided to start a thread so I can talk to you weebs about this show. I need help processing what just happened :|

Discuss!!

2. Shi

Shi The Aspirer
    Staff Member Administrator Platinum Founder

I'm going to be completely honest, I was really indifferent to how The Walking Dead operated up until now.

Now having seen other shows that can handle death and the consequences of said deaths better than The Walking Dead, I just don't really care all that much anymore.

The Walking Dead is essentially this: You live in a terrible world and your death means nothing.
    The show proved this point during the premiere and I'm inclined to agree with a lot of fans who have given up on the show, because the show is no longer compelling. In order for it to maintain ratings, it relies entirely on tricks. They essentially threw good storytelling out the window because they want to make sure you cannot predict the outcome.

The Walking Dead should've taken notes from Game of Thrones. Just because it's an adaptation and a lot of fans already know many of the major plot points doesn't mean that the audience will care less, if anything, they will care more.

The way they played the audience with Glenn last season cheapened the entire season premiere.

Since I already paid for the season (I watch it on Amazon Prime), if things don't improve by the end of the season, I think I'm satisfied with saying that all in all, I'm done with the show. I won't be watching Season 8.

3. 4xdblack

4xdblack Accomplished Booty-Cop
    Silver Founder Plus

Well honestly, I never watched this show for it's extraordinary story telling. It's a soap opera. A character drama with the added allure of a zombie apocalypse. If I wanted brilliant storytelling, I'd go watch anime, not AMC :p

Honestly I really liked Negan, and the guy who is playing him. He is a better villain than the others are heroes. Though I sense a loooong season of buttrape and depression. I really hope that they'll be able to maintain the suspense and continue to incline rather than decline from such a massive season premiere.

Also, I kinda hope that Carol will come out of retirement one last time and kick some ass like the badass she is. If only Shane was still here.

4. Chloe

Chloe [adult swim]

I stopped watching TWD during last season, the first time it eluded to Glenn's death.

5. Oh Snape

Oh Snape House Bantsratheon
    Staff Member Moderator

In other news, this shit is still a thing.

Novaire likes this.
  6. ThisGuy

ThisGuy Kin of the Cosmos
    Platinum Founder

From the Detroit Free Press:
    http://www.freep.com/story/news/col...10/29/walking-dead-episode-violence/92948390/

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
    Holy shit I love how assblasted these people get.

I agree with @Shi in that TWD has really bad writing, they're incredibly exploitative of the "OH SHIT SOMETHING BAD IS HAPPENING AND ITS CAPTIVATING BUT HERES AN EPISODE ABOUT SOMETHING ELSE UNRELATED BTW DONT FORGET TO TUNE IN NEXT EPISODE TO FIND OUT ABOUT THE BAD SHIT!"

I understand that people don't like seeing characters they've come to revel in over several seasons get wasted, especially in such a drawn out and gory way, but they ARE making a point about the change in society and the brutality of it. Romero always said that he used zombies as a lens with which to view a social breakdown, and if I recall TWD has an episode where they outright state that zombies aren't the real problem in the new world.

The impression I get is that TWD is supposed to show really how these things break down, how people justify their behavior, and how powerless people can actually be once everyone stop agreeing to following the same rules. That all the sinister underparts of society and individuals are still there when EVERYTHING ends. That things don't always work out nicely, it constantly teases finding a somewhat workable reality where the characters can trick themselves into being "happy," only to upend it at the most inopportune times. On that note it's interesting to consider the path our species has taken, to go from being WORSE than what is portrayed in the show to where we are today.

Hell, as messed up as it sounds you could even view it as a lens into ISIS and the whole situation in the middle east. Where the governments have straight up failed, and people live under the rule of a brutally primitive form of society because the world has failed them. Where psychopaths and zealots rule because they carry the biggest stick, and enforce their rules. Where the average person eeks out some bastardized existence with whatever tiny shred of happiness can keep them going or whatever obligation they have left like kids and family.

Or maybe the intention was just to be a snuff form of entertainment, I never read the graphic novel so who knows.

#6 ThisGuy, Oct 30, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2016
  7. Scruffie

Scruffie Pro Tarantula Bro-Fister
    Editor

I like how most people discussing it are the ones that stopped watching before this season started lok

The whole idea is that while walkers are obviously a risk, people are a bigger one. I find in the show everytime there is a human related death it is more graphic and traumatic than a walker related one.

I find the "if glenn/daryl/whoever dies, we riot!" Mentality to be the most frustrating part of the show. Why would anyone be safe? This episode followed the comics (for the most part) and it seems to me that the point is to imply that just because someone has a baby on the way with his cute wife and their love story is heart warming because amongst all the evil in the world they found each other bullshit, doesn't mean they're safe.

As for the episode itself, I really like Jeffrey dean morgan, and he is exactly how I imagined negan to be. He always made the governor look like the best thing to ever happen to them, and he's pulling that off pretty well. I liked the way the character chipped away at ricks resolve and broke him.

I was kind of alright with everything that happened for the most part, but the one person that really upset me was eugene lol that mullet toting nerd hit me in the feels.

The show isn't known for its acting, let's face it, but I think for the most part everyone did a pretty good job through a traumatic scene like that.

My MAIN concern is the preview for next week... it looks... weird...

._.

8. Shanigami

Shanigami Actually a Ghost
    Gold Founder

My main problem with killing off Glenn was that he had already "died" before. For anyone that doesn't know/forgot it was last season when he was trapped at the dumpster with that guy that killed himself, and then Glenn fell off the dumpster into a giant swarm of Walkers. After that everyone though "oh no, Glenn's dead" and they left it that way for a few episodes, but then they magically brought him back to life by saying "oh, actually when Glenn fell into that swarm of zombies he was able to crawl under the dumpster and hide without ever getting bitten, so he's alive".

So after the first episode of this season I was just like "What? They killed him AGAIN?". Glenn was a character I liked that had been in the show a long time, but when they made the "big reveal" I didn't care very much.

9. ThisGuy

ThisGuy Kin of the Cosmos
    Platinum Founder

Well wasn't that the whole point of that setup? The reason they had those scenes and made a big deal of him coming back, was only to unquestionably kill him this time. To have that sickening, drawn out agony where Negan taunts everyone as Glenn gurgles a heartbreaking line to his wife and noone can do anything about it.

I understand on one level, but man other characters that had been around for several episodes, including children, were shown experiencing gruesome deaths. It's crazy how people don't see this stuff coming, the whole series revolves around "main" characters dying or becoming corrupted.

4xdblack and Scruffie like this.
  10. Scruffie

Editor

Exactly. In a situation like that, close calls wouldn't exactly be unheard of. I had more problems with him survive that close call unbitten than I have with him eventually dying anyway. So because he had a close call, he should be immune? And it's far from the first show to do something similar purposely to throw the audience off.

4xdblack likes this.
  11. Shanigami

Gold Founder

oh, yeah I guess I can understand it that way too. But he didn't really have a lot of development after they brought him back the first time iirc, he pretty much just saved that girl and brought her back with him. I was kind of sad(maybe sad isn't the right word, but I was excited about it) when Glenn died the first time, but the second time, even though it was this whole crazy situation that was going on I didn't really feel anything. I think it would have been more impactful if they had not made it seem like he died the first time.

12. Scruffie

Editor

There are only a handful of original characters left. One of them wasn't there (carol) and one of them (carl) we al ready knew wasn't the person. It was safe to assume it wouldn't be rick, otherwise he wouldn't be able to do his twisty emotionally angry face (snot bubble was a nice addition to that).

Of the 2 remaining, it made sense that daryl would be the one to lose it and attack them, and his remorse and guilt over getting Glenn killed will be a big subject in the rest of the season. We probably won't see much of him for a whole, and he'll be reluctant to face the others now, especially Maggie.

Killing Abraham first made people assume the others were safe (though I kind of assumed it wasn't over when they showed who died so early in the episode.) But because that handful of people are the ones people have had the longest to become emotionally attatched to, killing them off usually comes at a big turning point in the show.

I haven't read the comics past here, but it's safe to assume Maggie will lose the baby (one baby in the show is by far enough) and will become a big player in taking their revenge on negan. She's already showing that. Daryl will probably do something stupid to redeem himself.

It's a drama, and "killing him off" the first time (which because they didn't actually show him die, I don't think anyone believed anyway) gave people something to stress over then. The sudden and brutal way in which he actually died was about as traumatic a death as they have seen since the start.

They took out the biggest guy, so striking down Abraham made it clear that no one is too strong for them. But as far as their numbers go now, Glenn was probably one of the weakest members they had. But his personality made him close to most people left, and his death will be what makes them strong in the up coming episodes

13. Chloe

Chloe [adult swim]

I stopped watching when that happened, because the show had already lost the majority of my interest, and Glenn was the only reason I was still watching.

14. Shi

Shi The Aspirer

@Shanigami
    If Glenn died the first time, it would have been waaaaay better and much more impactful.

I'm no script writer or anything, but I feel that it would've been better had they given Enid some character development with Glenn. The fact that she had that "JSS" nonsense, if Glenn and Maggie had some interactions with her so that they could have been her surrogate parents, it would've been far better she chased after Glenn instead of leaving because shes a stupid teenager and after watching the nonsense go down with Glenn or Nick, it would've worked significantly better if she helped them get out of that situation or because there was nothing she could do, she brings back a momento for Maggie, which would give her a better reason to be in Alexandria to support Maggie or get revenge on Negan had she managed to save him.

That would've elevated that entire thing to a whole new level.
    But no.

The Walking Dead writers feel that trickery and sleight of hand magic is better than actual writing.
    I spent all of 5 minutes to write the above and I already kind of give a shit about Enid! But nope. This is The Walking Dead. Shes in a closet.

Shanigami likes this.
  15. Shanigami

Gold Founder

I somewhat agree with that. I think if they had had Glenn escape his first death without any sort of cliffhanger, and then meet up with Enid and have some good development that built from there (it felt like they started down the surrogate parent route a little, but then just stopped), then that would have been good for that part. But I think it would have been more impactful to still have Glenn killed by Negan, because of the fact that Maggie was there and could see it, as opposed to the other way where no one really knows what happened to him (unless Enid saw it and came back and told everyone, but then that's still just one person witnessing it). The big problem with the Negan scene imo is that they made it into a cliffhanger. I think if they had had the group running around, getting caught by Negan, then Glen gets killed (and maybe Abraham too, but I didn't really care about him) and then the episode ends, it would have been a lot more impactful. Because then you'd be ending the season with a bang without giving anyone time to really figure out what's about to happen, instead of a big stupid cliffhanger that leaves the audience with 5 months to come to terms with the fact that someone is going to die, and decide who it's going to be.

Shi likes this.
  16. Shi

Shi The Aspirer

@Shanigami
    I agree and disagree to a certain extent.

The Maggie factor will always make any Glenn situation far more heart wrenching than it needs to be. However, I'd argue that if the writers properly invested time into that relationship instead of investing in cliffhangers or what ever dumb shit they were coming up with, it will be impactful no matter how you remix it.

Another thing they could have done is had Maggie and Aaron actually succeed in getting out of Alexandria to look for Glenn, only to watch Nick pull him down and Glenn be eaten alive.

Or Nick pushes Glenn into the horde to create an opening, which would've been equally as senseless.

Or Glenn doing what Glenn does, spend his last few minutes saving both Nick and Enid by sacrificing himself with Maggie and Aaron helplessly watching from a distance knowing they can't get through a massive horde.

Or, you know what would've been super crazy? And I'm just going to throw this out there:
    Have Maggie, Glenn, Nick, Enid and Aaron escape the horde only to get captured by Negan which in turn, forces Daryl to go out looking for them which then.. w/e. It all plays out the same. Instead of Daryl looking for revenge against Dwight, Daryl is looking for Glenn, someone who he considers family. Which in turn, gets him caught by Dwight.

I'm literally making slight adjustments to what happened without the use of cliffhangers and sleight of hand, and I'm letting it all play out in my head. It feels like it makes better sense than what ever happened in Season 6.

I don't know, the more I think about it, the more I feel that Robert Kirkman is a hack. But that could also be my bias talking. Who knows?
    But if you feel that any of the scenarios I put out would've at least lead to a better Season 6 finale and a Season 7 premiere, I think I could make the point that any one with any base level understanding of character development and writing could come up with better material than what ever was put into the show.

Shanigami likes this.
  17. Shanigami

Gold Founder

oooh yeah, that would have been a really good way to do it.

I think one thing we can all agree on is that TWD could have been a thousand times better if just a little bit of effort had been put into telling an actual story instead of using gimmicks to try to bait a higher viewer count.

I feel like the only reason I watch it now is to see all the potential of what it could be :D